Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'Day all,

I am trying to find out if anyone has fitted Subaru 4 pot caliipers under 16" wheels, OE or otherwise.

I would like to keep my current side wall height due to the amount of time I spend on the dirt.

Cheers,

Andrew

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Will not fit our oe 6.5" rims but will clear the RS 16X7 rims. Ususally can find these half way reasonable used.

The other option is Willwood's 4 pot dynalite caliper w/ a adapter bracket, will clear our 6.5 wheels- this is the option I'm currently looking at. They also have a 2 pot rear due out soon.

Big Sky

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The rear caliper is already out. The only problem is that the original bracket to fit the caliper didn't quite allow the stock wheels to fit.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Last contact I had was at the very end of May and they were working on a solution to redesign it. There were also independent companies trying to make their own adaptor up here in Canada in conjunction with Wilwood. I'll try to find out, since this is luckly the brakes I want to upgrade to....along with other Wilwood parts like dual master brake cyls.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Where are you finding a 3mm spacer? Are you running these w/ the 4 pots? Also I assume w/ that small of a spacer, longer studs are not needed. That might be a heck of a good choice as buying RS rims are expensive (even used). I'm torn between the Willwoods and Subaru's 4 pots. I like the Willwood setup but the pads I'm running (and would like to continue running) are not available for the Willwood.

Thanks

Big Sky

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you want to check out a cool article about an ENDLESS 6-POT BRAKE KIT install:

SUPERSTREET MAGAZINE
AUGUST 2002 ISSUE
PAGE 246

·
Registered
12 Posts
BIGSKY,

I'm not running this setup on my car. I still have the stock calipers. A buddy of mine has this with the 22b 4 pots and a 3mm spacer. Any wheel/tire place should have different sized spacers. He didn't need to change the wheel studs.

It is pretty tight. There isn't a whole lot of room for the caliper with the 3mm spacer, but it will clear it and in the year or so that it's been in use, he's never had a problem with them.

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is what I wanted to hear - someone that has seen it done!!!
I really did not want to buy new wheels to be able to stop better!!

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Thanks. Even if one went to a 5 mm spacer (hopefully stud length wouldn't be an issue at 5) you'd effectively be running 48mm offset which would be fine. Out of curiousity is happening to be running the 2 pots in the rear? If so, same 3mm spacer?

Thanks

Big Sky

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Big Sky

At risk of hijacking the thread, which Wilwoods were you planning to use? A kit, or homebrewing your own?

Because I haven't convinced myself I will no longer use the 16" OE wheels [but am currently on a set of 17" Prodrives], I built up a set of brackets from cold rolled plate so I can use the OE sized rotors and 4 pot billet Wilwood Dynalite Billets [I thought they were Superlites]. I haven't test drove them with the OE rims yet, but they should clear (if I machined correctly). There's loads of room with the 17" wheels. Maybe I'll snap off a pic tonight.

I thought about the Subaru OE 4 pots, but the Wilwoods are about $110 each, and I made up my own brake lines to save some bucks. And there are quite a few pad materials out there that work with the Wilwoods.

Also, the OE 2 piston calipers and brackets are unbelievably heavy - like they were cast from depleted uranium and fitted with osmium pistons. I don't know about the weight on the 4 pot Subaru ones.

[edited because I couldn't remember what capipers I used....old age creeps up...]

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
gaspipe,

I was looking at a kit that altasports was selling. Wilwood's dynalite (billet0 4 pots, includes ss lines (different than the one I already installed- ofcourse), and Perrin developed brackets- selling for $599. Also there is a Wilwood 2 pot rear that is coming out- all supposed to clear our oe 6.5" rims.

It seems like there is a pretty good selection of pads available, but the ones I'm running now I love (Endless CCX).

Wilwoods would be lighter than the Subaru 4 pot setup, a real plus. They're cheaper also (obvious plus). Evidently they (Wilwood) may be needed to serviced more often but supposedly it is a $8 kit and easy to do.

If Endless made pads for them, I'd almost certainly go w/ the Wilwoods- maybe I'll bug Endless (they may make a pad that fits and not know it- I'll have to get some measurements).

Sounds like your pretty handy w/ the brake fabrications- brackets, ss lines, how difficult? Also any idea on the price of the billet dynalites? Any idea how they differ/compare to the superlites?

Thanks

Big Sky

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Big Sky -
could you send me a link to those altasports brakes?
I am not set on the Sube 4 pots - but want to keep the 16" wheel.

Cheers,

Andrew
aussieinstlouis

·
Registered
23 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
I was looking at a kit that altasports was selling.
I went and looked at the site, and then went over to I-Club and looked at the thread there. Basically, I guess I re-invented the Perrin kit, except I used dba 2 piece rotors (OE size, slightly thicker). I used some different fittings and such, but the overall package would be similar to what they offer. I probably should have bought theirs and saved some time.

It seems like there is a pretty good selection of pads available, but the ones I'm running now I love (Endless CCX).
I have never used those. I guess am partial to Hawks. I raced on them for a while, and somewhere along the line, my street cars started getting the HPS compound pads. Having a buddy that carries them helps.

Wilwoods would be lighter than the Subaru 4 pot setup, a real plus. They're cheaper also (obvious plus).
The OE two pot fronts are incredibly heavy. They feel like the calipers from my 1 ton pickup. Subaru made those to LAST. The Wilwoods and the dba rotors make a reasonably light package, and I'll see how well they work soon. I figured if the STi can make due with 294mm and 4 pots, so can I.

I think I will take a hard look at the Alta rear kit when it comes out - I would prefer to keep the handbrake useable, which is a feature I would lose if I fab something myself from off the shelf parts.

Making up -3 AN brakelines is easy, you need a cutoff tool/die grinder to cut the lines (hacksaw, IMO, is not a good option for cutting - too messy) and standard handtools for the rest. The Wilwoods use a 1/8" pipe thread, IIRC, into the caliper, and I can't remember which flare the hard line to AN adapter uses. I'll have to look at the OE lines and tell you if you are interested. I got all the stuff from Summit Racing, I think....some I had lying around here from the Mazda days.

Brackets take some time to get measure out and get right, but I have a milling machine and a metal cutting bandsaw, so it makes it much easier. Mine look just like Perrin's, but are painted, not cad-plated :(

·
Registered
424 Posts
Would moving the front 2piston calipers to the rear work? I havn't checked it out and am looking into getting the Willwood kit when the time comes for better brakes. I don't think I'm gonna plunk the cash for rears though, so hopefully brake balancing won't be f'd up.

If we could replace the fronts with 4-pots and move the 2-pot OEMs to the rear, that would be sweet. Maybe it only needs a fabed bracket or something. Has anyone checked this out???

·
Registered
23 Posts
The problem with moving the front calipers to the rear is that you'd lose the function of the parking brake. The parking brake uses a mechanical linkage to actuate the piston. If there was no need for that brake, then it could be a viable scenario. And that OE weight thing would likely have you looking for aluminum calipers anyway. Once again, I am kind of interested to see what the rear kit is and making that finish the package for my WRX.

The brake bias actually feels pretty good on 4 pot Wilwood setup, although I have not pushed it 10/10ths yet.

I thought I had Superlites, but as it turns out, they are indeed the Dynalite billets (I found the boxes tonight). I just can't remember what I bought. Signs of getting old.......Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts