ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the east side of providence garbing something to eat, while I was parking someone jumped in front of me, and in the confusion curbed my front passenger tire a bit. I didn’t hit it bad, so i was expecting a slight curb rash. Much to my surprise a good size chunk of rubber was taken out of the sidewall (part of the little lip meant to protect the rim). I have about 8k on the car, and need a new tire. Do I now need 4 new tires, because of the all wheel drive, or can I get away with the one. Either way it turned out to be an expensive falafel wrap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
how much tread depth do you have left? you might be able to look through the scrap pile at a subaru dealership and find the same kind of tire with similiar mileage.

A

·
0 Posts
I was on the east side of providence garbing something to eat, while I was parking someone jumped in front of me, and in the confusion curbed my front passenger tire a bit. I didn’t hit it bad, so i was expecting a slight curb rash. Much to my surprise a good size chunk of rubber was taken out of the sidewall (part of the little lip meant to protect the rim). I have about 8k on the car, and need a new tire. Do I now need 4 new tires, because of the all wheel drive, or can I get away with the one. Either way it turned out to be an expensive falafel wrap.
east side pockets on thayer? i would say you need 4 new tires unless you can get 1 of the same tire, alot of problems with awd cars and 2 different tires

·
Registered
0 Posts
east side pockets on thayer? i would say you need 4 new tires unless you can get 1 of the same tire, alot of problems with awd cars and 2 different tires
+ 1

i read about someone crashing due to it :sadwave:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've read that you can have discount tire or tirerack shave down the tread on the new tire so it is the same as your others. It may be an option if you are trying to save cash. Of course as everyone says the stock tires suck if you have the WRX, so you may be happier with an upgraded set if you want to spend some cash.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i was on my way to east side pockets

I would like to get new tires in the long run, but im trying to save money now. The r 92's have no notable ware thus far which is surprising so im going to have to look into it a bit before I make my decision. Also the car is my DD so I cant sit around waiting for tires, its something that needs to get done this weekend. Dose anyone know the acceptable differance in tread if i go with one new r92?

A

·
0 Posts
yeah i was on my way to east side pockets

I would like to get new tires in the long run, but im trying to save money now. The r 92's have no notable ware thus far which is surprising so im going to have to look into it a bit before I make my decision. Also the car is my DD so I cant sit around waiting for tires, its something that needs to get done this weekend. Dose anyone know the acceptable differance in tread if i go with one new r92?
and you dont have the tire waranty on your car? if you do bring it to the dealer and tell them you hit a huge pot hole and they will fix it for free

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and you dont have the tire waranty on your car? if you do bring it to the dealer and tell them you hit a huge pot hole and they will fix it for free
its not blown out, its actualy holding air just fine. Its also pretty clear that it rubbed a curb, thier is a small peice of rubber hanging off, and i dont think a warenty covers tires

A

·
0 Posts
its not blown out, its actualy holding air just fine. Its also pretty clear that it rubbed a curb, thier is a small peice of rubber hanging off, and i dont think a warenty covers tires
i just bought my subbie used and it came with a tire and rim waranty, and the lady who sold me it even said if you curb your rim just come in and tell us you hit a really big pot hole and they will fix it, even if it looks like a curb they have no way to prove it if you say it was a pot hole

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
it wasnt the tread depth that effecte the awd...it just has to be the same tire. you only have 8k on the tires anyways...tread shouldnt even be worn much at all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Shouldn't need 4 new tires

I just had a flat tire (nail through the side wall) and I did not need new tires. I have 15k miles on the tires and I was fully expecting to need a new set. I was actually excited because it gave me a reason to upgrade to nicer tires. But alas, the dealer ship said it was not required. It was done by the dealership and therefore if anything ever goes wrong because of it, then I can blame them.

I also purchased carepoint when I bought the car (protectant coating for paint, leather, etc) and this covered the new tire. I didn't have to pay a dime.:)

So at 8k miles I would expect you to not have to buy 4 new tires.

-CZ

·
Registered
46 Posts
it wasnt the tread depth that effecte the awd...it just has to be the same tire. you only have 8k on the tires anyways...tread shouldnt even be worn much at all.
A. in all reality it probably will not matter but if you have tires with fairly decent tread depth that are worn all the way down and put on a brand new one it will have a different circumference which is what causes problems.
B. depends on how you drive, i go through a set of tires every 8k-10k

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A. in all reality it probably will not matter but if you have tires with fairly decent tread depth that are worn all the way down and put on a brand new one it will have a different circumference which is what causes problems.
B. depends on how you drive, i go through a set of tires every 8k-10k
I drive it hard from time to time, but 95% of the time im going the same speed as the guy in the minivan/ suv / truck in from of me, on my way to work. Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts