1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a trap speed of 330
.5 second 60'

Wow thats fast

Ran by don the snake prudhomees dragster, i think.

6000 hp engine
and 3 of the 5 clutch plates burn out after every run.
engines must be reubilt every run to.

Fawk he feels 4.5g of acceleration, the same as astonaughts taking off.
Then 4.5g deceleration.

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doesnt anyone else find this insane?
A whole 5.5 seconds faster then even very fast cars, 5.5 seconds in such a short distance.
and a .5 second 60.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Fuq yeah thats fast. And you are talking about Larry Dixon Jr's pass, since he drives for the Snake.

But that the thing that amazes me this year is that Toyota has gotten into the funny cars. It is the only Japanese car maker running with the big dogs (GM, Ford and Dodge.) And they are running a Tundra motor. Pretty crazy.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The top fuelers are going to have to hit the wall of "physics" pretty soon aren't they? If not, 10 years from now they'll be running 1.2 second 1/4's @ 450mph! :p

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
is2scooby said:
The top fuelers are going to have to hit the wall of "physics" pretty soon aren't they? If not, 10 years from now they'll be running 1.2 second 1/4's @ 450mph! :p
yeah, you would think so. However, apparently they have found a way to cheat physics, so physics will have to come up with something soon to keep them in check!;)

·
980 Posts
i dont know too much about funny cars and drag rails, but i was watching it one weekend with the old man and he remembers watching one of the racers participating that day, Big Daddy Don Garlits, racing like 25-30 years ago in Englishtown. Its amazing how the love of going really really fast has kept him in the sport all those years. Incidentally he didnt qualify but ran an amazing 4.790 i think.

-c

·
Registered
649 Posts
twinz said:
top fuel is a must to see in person for any diehard gearhead. You gotta love a vehicle that goes 0-100mph in 8/10ths of a second and hits 200mph in 2 seconds! total insanity!:eek:
Agreed. You have to SEE IT, FEEL IT, AND SMELL IT! That's why I go every year. Hitting Joliet on the 28th...:D Can't wait to smell that Nitromethane!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
Fuq yeah thats fast. And you are talking about Larry Dixon Jr's pass, since he drives for the Snake.

But that the thing that amazes me this year is that Toyota has gotten into the funny cars. It is the only Japanese car maker running with the big dogs (GM, Ford and Dodge.) And they are running a Tundra motor. Pretty crazy.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
A tundra motor? I think that would be stretching it a bit. I think the only thing Toyota on that car is the stickers.

·
Registered
649 Posts
JTREX said:

A tundra motor? I think that would be stretching it a bit. I think the only thing Toyota on that car is the stickers.
I think most teams, if not all, run chrysler engines. So I would have to possibly agree with you. I could be wrong, though.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Nope, it's a twin-turbo Tundra motor...they were talking about it on Hi-Rev Tuners LOL

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
junaitari said:

Twin turbo?!!?? Oh, well, if they said it on Hi-rev Tuners, you know it's true!!
LOL actually they showed the engine under the hood...it was definitely twin turbo :D

The f00s can lie but the camera doesn't! heh

·
Registered
649 Posts
Was this on the top fuel funny car celica or their pro import class?

The fueler runs a supercharged 426 hemi, which i believe is a chrysler.

Toyota Celica Funny Car Specifications

2002 NHRA POWERade DRAG RACING

ENGINE

Displacement: 497.5 cid
Horsepower: 6,000+ @ 8,350 rpm
Induction: Kobelco 14-71 Supercharger
Bore: 4.187 Inches
Stroke: 4.500 Inches
Compression ratio: 6.7:1
Engine design: Aluminum Version 426 Hemi.
Fuel: Nitromethane (90%)/Methanol (10%)
Fuel pump: Waterman 70 GPM Fuel Pump

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
twinz said:
top fuel is a must to see in person for any diehard gearhead. You gotta love a vehicle that goes 0-100mph in 8/10ths of a second and hits 200mph in 2 seconds! total insanity!:eek:
Whiplash/death! :eek:
-Josh

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
junaitari said:
Was this on the top fuel funny car celica or their pro import class?

The fueler runs a supercharged 426 hemi, which i believe is a chrysler.

Toyota Celica Funny Car Specifications

2002 NHRA POWERade DRAG RACING

ENGINE

Displacement: 497.5 cid
Horsepower: 6,000+ @ 8,350 rpm
Induction: Kobelco 14-71 Supercharger
Bore: 4.187 Inches
Stroke: 4.500 Inches
Compression ratio: 6.7:1
Engine design: Aluminum Version 426 Hemi.
Fuel: Nitromethane (90%)/Methanol (10%)
Fuel pump: Waterman 70 GPM Fuel Pump
It was Pro Import Class, definitely not top fuel or funny car :)

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
junaitari said:
You been funnin' me ain't you, boy? I thought you were talking about the top fuel car till you said twin turbo and popped the hood. Silly me...:)
Muhahaha I trick you! :D

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
No transmission. It's direct-drive with a multi-staged slipper clutch. Kind of like a CVT auto but works with friction and not variable gear ratios.

That's why the acceleration is so linear on those things. Amazing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts