Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I developed a grind in 4th gear over the weekend...I hope the dealer works this one out. My tranny is babied because I know I could not afford another one. :(

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
:( Keep us posted, Osiris! How many miles on the odo?

·
Registered
176 Posts
welcome to the club. My car started doing it, after 40,000 miles on the odo. And I know of one other person personally that has had this problem since about 15,000 miles on the odo. It's a slightly "known" issue with the tranny.

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was on a trip to atlanta, and the odometer just broke 20k. Really sucks :( I will keep you guys posted as soon as I get time to take the car in.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
:eek: sorry to hear about that Jason. Definitely let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
mine doesn't grind, but when it's cold, i sometimes (not consistently) get a miss on 4th gear. feels like it's in but i know it's not as the stick isn't all the way down.

i have to double clutch or reshift when it does that. anyone else have that problem?

less than 3k on the clock.

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an STi uppipe. I guess we are going to be taking that out. I also have my full set of gauges A/F, EGT, Boost. I dont think those are going to be any problem at all though.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm experiencing the 3rd to 4th grind and wonder if there is something I can do. I've already got NEO Synthetic in my tranny (75W90 HD), but I'm thinking of going to Redline Synth 75W90 HD VERY soon.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Osiris said:
I developed a grind in 4th gear over the weekend...I hope the dealer works this one out. My tranny is babied because I know I could not afford another one. :(
I had this exact same problem with my '04 WRX at 10,000 miles. :mad:

What I eventually wound up doing, was replacing the OEM gear lube (suspicious that it was even OEM, since the transmission was completely rebuilt at 4,000 miles :mad: :mad: :mad: ) with GM synchromesh fluid. Do not waste your time with synthetic gear lube. There is not enough "friction" in the gear lube keep the synchro's happy. Any gear lube with friction "additives" will only make the problem worse. IMHO, the Subaru transmission does not need a friction additive to keep the LSD working. However, the synchro's NEED a heavy gear lube to work. Which would you rather save? A limited slip that has no reported failures in the field, or a synchro fix that appears to be very apparent (especially by those running synthetic fluid and / or friction additives)?

I've been running GM synchromech gear lube for about 15,000 miles. I previously had a very painful grind from 3rd to 4th gear every time (i.e. regardless of speed or load) I would shift. The transmission now shifts just as good as it did the day it rolled off the assembly line. I'm sold on the stuff. It took about 200 - 300 miles for the gear lube to work its way into the synchro's, but it has worked perfectly ever since it did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had same problem with my '04, turns out there is some sort of tech bulleten on 3rd/4th gear syncros. I brought it to dealership and they replaced them both, no more grind....just something you might want to look into

·
Registered
15 Posts
Please describe gring to me... What does it sound like? Grinding like if you don't get it in gear or better yet let the clutch out too fast and it's not really in gear and you hear the... "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" noise or is it something different?

The only real problem I have with mine is that going from 2nd to 3rd it feels notchy... where as going from 3rd to 4th is very smooth... Going from 4th to 5th I hear a slight high pitched wine/whistle noise...

What would that be considered, and is it good or bad?

15,000 miles

-Nigel

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I think the common gear grind when shifting that people allways talk about is this. When you shift from one gear to the next you feel a little vibration in the shift knob, and you might hear a little buzz sound, its not loud and you might not hear it at all. But you do feel it. Its like those little buzzers you get at restraunts waiting to be called in for a table. It feels like your holding one of those while you shift into the next gear.

I don't think its the actual gears grinding, I think its actually the syncro's. I get it in 2-3 shifts about 35% of the time, and in 3-4 shifts maybe 10% of the time. And once I felt it in 4-5. I think I am going to try a new tranny fluid sometime soon, I have been using motul gear 300 for the past year.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't think its the actual gears grinding, I think its actually the syncro's.
Sorry to say it but the buzz is the gears grinding, as one slows to mesh with the other. You may look at getting the syncros replaced under warrenty if you still have one. Grinding when downshifting is not good but when upshifting is a bit worse (As long as you your not banging it into gear, or forcing it)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
SMC said:
Tubby:
You swine. How dare you tease us poor MF's who are waiting on our AP's to arrive.........:mad:
You too huh?,

I ordered late also..........Dam.

If you will send me the link to the Louisville car forum (NOT Louisville Streets:eek: ) ) I lost the link.

See ya soon.

Billy/Shotgun

1 - 16 of 16 Posts