Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2013 Subaru STI back in August of this year, and purchased a 24 month Warranty through a 3rd party warranty company "National Auto Care".

Last week it started to have a power steering leak. So i call up Subaru and get it too them. Subaru calls me a day later and says its leaking from the rack and pinion and it will be a expensive fix (around $2500). They get in touch with my warranty company and the warranty company sends a adjuster out to Subaru.

He comes the following day to write his inspection report, which denies my claim due to modifications.

Now,

This is what the warranty contract states about modifications;

"I further understand that the vehicle is for personal use (NOT COMMERCIAL USE unless the Commercial Coverage option is selected)

and that any vehicle which is modified or altered from the original manufacturer’s specification prior to sale, at time of sale, or at any time during the term of this agreement

is not eligible for coverage. I understand that coverages under this agreement will overlap the Manufacturer’s Warranty coverages on new vehicles and may overlap on some

used vehicles."

But,

Both parts that cause my claim to be denied are SPT Subaru manufactured parts.

The warranty company told me,"Your vehicle is equipped with a boost gauge, that is a modification and your vehicle is not eligible for coverage."

The exhaust was considered a "aftermarket muffler" an was another reason for denial.

Not to mention on the report the adjuster put "Automatic" for the transmission so that tells me he wasn't taking his time as its a 6 speed.

Please let me know if they are responsible for the repairs or not and what my next step should be?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
171 Posts
third party warranties are 100% shams. if this was the Subaru factory warranty, you have some ground to fight.

However, you might end up not getting this covered with the third party because they literally exist to screw people over.

fight it 100%..but good luck.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,806 Posts
SPT parts are not covered by the Subaru warranty either — though the point is moot since they carry their own coverage. I found this out by reading the fine print. That’s what popping uppers does.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
"I further understand that the vehicle is for personal use (NOT COMMERCIAL USE unless the Commercial Coverage option is selected) and that any vehicle which is modified or altered from the original manufacturer’s specification prior to sale, at time of sale, or at any time during the term of this agreement is not eligible for coverage."

Says it in black and white, bro. Your only option is to try to kindly speak to someone at the company and express your opinion logically that your modifications did not have anything to do with the failure. But, the ball is completely in their court and they're in the business of making money. I'm not trying to rub it in, but if they don't do anything for you the only person you can blame is yourself.

I don't believe any lawyer would waste their time on this, because with the clearly worded print there is no case. Sucks, man. At least it's a hard life lesson for $2,500.

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
That's disgusting... Now I'm also worried since I have a SPT Catback Exhaust on my vehicle that was dealership installed...

Third party warranties are such crooks...

I'm really sorry OP - Good luck man!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts