ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my WRB WRX should be in this week (just got delivered to the dealership. As such, I want to make sure that I get the paint protected right from day one. I spoke with the salesman about a clear bra. He told me it was $399 for hood, fenders, and mirrors, but the bumper was not included. He said that since the bumper is plastic, it is not something that the normally do.

I really want to make sure that my bumper is protected, so I am thinking that if I get a clear bra, I will have to find someone that can do the bumper.

My other thought is to forgo the clear bra, and go with opti-coat. I am reading up on it, and it seems very cool, but I will admit that I have not finished my research.

Do you guys have any suggestions or advice? Am I incorrect in thinking that the bumper should get a clear bra even though it will not rust? Is opti-coat something good to do instead of getting the clear bumper, or am I over estimating the protective nature of it (the way is seems to me is almost another layer of clear, I believe I read that it hardens to the level of glass). I am not too concerned about the application of the opti-clear, my dad and I restore cars for a hobby and have done full paint jobs on award winning cars, so I think he can figure it out. A clear bra I would have professionally installed to save the headache. I can barely get a cellphone screen protector on without wanting to put the whole thing through my wall!

Any advice, or other things I can look into would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

I called a local shop in Rochester that I heard of through my Z car club. The told me I would be looking at $719 for a full front clip wrap, which I believe would include everything from the bumper back to the windshield, including the mirrors. He said that it would be $359 just for the bumper, and he can do any amount of protection between the the ranges. I am thinking that this sounds pretty good, they are a very reputable shop and do a lot of work with my club (the prices include a 10% club discount).

I am thinking about seeing what $500 or so can get me protection wise, but I am still interested to hear if you guys have any other ideas. Unfortunately, these guys are pretty much the only ones within 100 miles that I can find who advertise doing the clear bra work. Their facebook page is here: The Tint Shop

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
That doesn't make any sense from the dealer...a clear bra is supposed to protect the paint. The bumper has paint. So wtf???

You can definitely get a clear bra done on a bumper.

Not sure what the opticoat is however.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is doable. I have 3M over everything forward of the hood scoop. And the side mirrors. Cost about $800.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
It maybe, but it took two guys 6 hours. So a single person doing a DIY will be quite the task.

The film was computer cut so it fits perfectly. And the job is FLAWLESS. You can't even tell its there. Trimming it yourself may not yield the same result and same clean look. Especially on the front bumper.

And EVERYTHING in the front is covered. Even the little vent holes and the fog lights.

To me it's worth the money. Knowing that stone chips will be less of an issue. And the entire front end is protected.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was in somewhat the same boat as you and decided not to get the clear bra installed.

The 3rd day I owned the car I got a very tiny rock chip on the front bumper and by day 5 I had the clear bra on and in the end I am very glad I did it.

As far as prices go I would suggest calling a lot of different places because from what I found everyones price varies greatly.

One guy quoted me $600 for the front bumper and 1/4 hood only and a additional $200 for tint. The place I ended up going to did the front & rear bumper, 1/4 of hood, fenders and side mirrors plus tint all windows but the windshield for $500 with lifetime warranty on clear bra and tint for scratches, fading and becoming discoloured

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts