ClubWRX Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
A friend of mine had a 370z for a year or so. Really nice car to drive but compared to my wrx (315whp/342wtq) it felt completely different having to rev the car fairly high to make power. I love the mid range torque my car provides for seat of the pants feel. We did a few pulls ranging from 20-50mph (on a closed road of course) and the wrx put many car lengths on him every time. The Z was completely stock.

·
Registered
450 Posts
A friend of mine had a 370z for a year or so. Really nice car to drive but compared to my wrx (315whp/342wtq) it felt completely different having to rev the car fairly high to make power. I love the mid range torque my car provides for seat of the pants feel. We did a few pulls ranging from 20-50mph (on a closed road of course) and the wrx put many car lengths on him every time. The Z was completely stock.
To be fair. ...You're comparing a highly modded car to a stock car.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, modded vs stock, as I read it.
My experience with VQ engines comes from my brief ownership of a G35 coupe. It made satisfactory power, but felt so linear after my VF34-modded WRX that, well, it bored me to tears. I actually enjoy the surge of some turbocharged cars. The G was a great car, well made and well-equipped, but it's not a car that had much personality. Not sure if that applies to a modern Z or not. I'm looking for "fun factor", not "magazine numbers" or whatever.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had a dark slate 2007 Altima 3.5 SE, with the extinct (from production) 6-speed manual. Very nice car. Excellent acceleration and handling - for a boat.

The biggest disappointment with the WRX for me is the damn throw-out bearing. That thing sounds like the one in my Chevette I had as a kid. This may be considered a "budget" sedan, but for nearly $30k, the clutch shouldn't creak every time it's cold; or it rains; or I wash it; or... Especially, since it's been doing it since I bought it (brand new).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know about the WRX but I guarantee that my 2004 STI with a Cobb and hi-flow downpipe wil put back into the seat. I bought it new and it was always fast but a bit raw - and still is even after some felt under the rugs and a lot of dynamat. Why not see if you can pick up a used older STi?
Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's up everyone! New member but I've been lurking around for some time.

So For the past year I've considered selling my Z, and the wrx is one the cars that's appealed to me the most. But I recently test drove one yesterday and in all honesty it felt incredibly slow in comparison to my 370z with no engine mods. I know I have more power but it felt like a significant difference so I'm a little bummed out. I've done some research on stage 1 tunes and I've seen a lot of people say to just leave it stock due to reliability issues?..

It might sound dumb, but I've mainly wanted a bigger car for my dog (and I'm a little bored of the 370 after 7 years lol). Parking is an issue so i can't have 2 cars. The wrx being a sport sedan really appealed to me especially with the AWD..but I'm so used to the linear power and handling of my car that I couldn't help but feel a little bummed after the test drive. My biggest gripe with the Z is I wish it had back seats and it weighs like a boat for it just being a 2 seater.

STI/golf R is out of my price range, GTI is FWD (meh) and I'm not a fan of ford styling.
Any thoughts on other cars? OR.. just pull the trigger on the wrx.. lighter wheels and tune?

Any and all responses are very much welcome and appreciated thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just now seeing this . have you considered a Genesis coupe? Slightly slower then a 370z but a v6 with 348 hp It should feel faster then the wrx

·
Registered
437 Posts
Just now seeing this . have you considered a Genesis coupe? Slightly slower then a 370z but a v6 with 348 hp It should feel faster then the wrx
The message is several years old. Do you have any experience with the Genesis coupe? I looked at the Stinger GT AWD briefly during a moment of ..... well I need a 12 step program for cars.

·
something else forever
3,899 Posts
Nice necro! :p

I got a Stinger now. Apples to Oranges and Bananas to Pears over here lmfao.

I have heard mixed reviews about Genesis Coupe reliability. I got a buddy who has one with some flavorful mods and he says it has had some issues here and there.

Very attractive looking cars though!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Nice necro! :p

I got a Stinger now. Apples to Oranges and Bananas to Pears over here lmfao.

I have heard mixed reviews about Genesis Coupe reliability. I got a buddy who has one with some flavorful mods and he says it has had some issues here and there.

Very attractive looking cars though!!
Good to see you posting. Do you happen to have a Stinger GT AWD? From some of my fiddling around, I have found that the Genesis G80s and G90s seem to be garnering fairly solid reviews. Nothing much seems to come out about the coupe' . I seemed to have miss-placed the money tree during our last move. Other wise, I'd be ordering up an AMG E63S Estate. Seems a better blend of performance, practicality and luxury. The CLS 53 AMG seems to be down a bit on power (~425HP + 18 for the electric motor) to really tick off that true performance box.

·
something else forever
3,899 Posts
Good to see you posting. Do you happen to have a Stinger GT AWD? From some of my fiddling around, I have found that the Genesis G80s and G90s seem to be garnering fairly solid reviews. Nothing much seems to come out about the coupe' . I seemed to have miss-placed the money tree during our last move. Other wise, I'd be ordering up an AMG E63S Estate. Seems a better blend of performance, practicality and luxury. The CLS 53 AMG seems to be down a bit on power (~425HP + 18 for the electric motor) to really tick off that true performance box.
idk why my signature gets cut off on this website lmfao

I have a 2020 Stinger GT RWD right now. Great car for cruising on highways and long trips to work or seeing friends/family kinda car. I like it. Plus that factory warranty made the deal much nicer!

I did test drive the G70 and G80 with the same 3.3TT-V6 but... idk... they were a bit smaller both in cargo space and driver capacity... I also must admit, and I am not ashamed to do so, but the Stinger was both significantly cheaper OTD price-wise and also I was able to get a much better loan...

If I knew I would be living in NY a year later after purchasing my car then I would have gone with AWD. I test drove both the GT-RWD and GT-AWD and the RWD definitely was quicker (drove them back to back on the same road) and felt much more fun to drive...

sorry for such a "all over the place" response... typing while on the phone but wanted to reply now before I forget to :p

EDIT:

OH and I completely forgot to mention! I love MB so much! Two of my closest friends (one living and working with me in NY right now) have owned different AMG toys over the years... with heavy mods... they're phenomenal and incredible machines! The CLS53-AMG is an incredible car. I had a buddy take one on with a tune a few months ago when it was warm (in Florida) and it was pulling hard and fast! Stunning looks!

As far as the new E63s... amazing car... my buddy up here in NY used to have both a 2008 E63-AMG sedan with intake, exhaust, tune, the whole thing... sounded amazing and drove beautifully! Pulled very hard and fast! He also leased for about 3 years a 2014 E63-AMG sedan but kept it stock. Loved that car but the 2008 felt much more raw.

·
Registered
437 Posts
idk why my signature gets cut off on this website lmfao

I have a 2020 Stinger GT RWD right now. Great car for cruising on highways and long trips to work or seeing friends/family kinda car. I like it. Plus that factory warranty made the deal much nicer!

I did test drive the G70 and G80 with the same 3.3TT-V6 but... idk... they were a bit smaller both in cargo space and driver capacity... I also must admit, and I am not ashamed to do so, but the Stinger was both significantly cheaper OTD price-wise and also I was able to get a much better loan...

If I knew I would be living in NY a year later after purchasing my car then I would have gone with AWD. I test drove both the GT-RWD and GT-AWD and the RWD definitely was quicker (drove them back to back on the same road) and felt much more fun to drive...

sorry for such a "all over the place" response... typing while on the phone but wanted to reply now before I forget to :p

EDIT:

OH and I completely forgot to mention! I love MB so much! Two of my closest friends (one living and working with me in NY right now) have owned different AMG toys over the years... with heavy mods... they're phenomenal and incredible machines! The CLS53-AMG is an incredible car. I had a buddy take one on with a tune a few months ago when it was warm (in Florida) and it was pulling hard and fast! Stunning looks!

As far as the new E63s... amazing car... my buddy up here in NY used to have both a 2008 E63-AMG sedan with intake, exhaust, tune, the whole thing... sounded amazing and drove beautifully! Pulled very hard and fast! He also leased for about 3 years a 2014 E63-AMG sedan but kept it stock. Loved that car but the 2008 felt much more raw.
I had an itch for the Stinger GT AWD. I was afraid that it might well be the same as the itch for the WRX. Obviously, I am not doing as much car browsing due to Covid. I have figured out that I may want some performance, but I want comfort and luxury more. Likely if I bought the Stinger, I might be looking to something else.

The CLS is pretty cool.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts