ClubWRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Some people argue that the jump in price on the STi isn't worth it. I beg to differ. Even a base STi has a few huge advantages over the wrx. For example the STi comes with brembo brakes, Si drive, DCCD, a stronger rear end, a much stronger gearbox and clutch, and has a lot stiffer mounts and bushings. Just buying a brembo brake kit and building a transmission for a wrx and you will be spending more than the extra premium for an STi.

Some other people dog on the old EJ257 engine used in the STi. I agree that it is a dated engine, but it is a tried and true engine that makes good power for a 2.5L 4 cylinder. Plus has an unlimited amount of aftermarket support.

Go test drive an STi if you haven't already. Flick the little knob over to S# and see what you think.
I've tired! I live in the LA county area and some dealerships I've tested around here won't let you test drive the STI. They say most new owners want it with 0 miles so they try keeping them with little to no miles. So unfortunately I haven had the opportunity. They give me a wrx and say "picture it with more power"..... riiigght. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
767 Posts
That would be impressive if the wrx also had the performance of the other cars you mentioned. Your comparison is really just comparing having 4 doors vs 2...you could say the same thing if you were driving a 4 door civic or camry.
OK...but...

When Honda or Toyota have a 270-HP AWD car with a manual transmission...

My philosophy is get whatever floats your boat. I had a faster Camaro for a month, but personally it's not a good DD or practical enough for me. I used to have a 2-seater for a DD, but now I want something more versatile.

The WRX is the whole package. You either want the whole enchilada with the sauce, or you want something else.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
A new STI might not be as expensive as you think, with the mid cycle refresh moving in soon. The dealership I went to this weekend had three STI's sitting on their lot. Two of the three were unmoved from when I was there a week ago.

Hell, even I ordered mine at $34,500 with the short throw shifter option in January, 2015. (Short throw is a waste of $500, with better aftermarket shifters costing half of that.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This may turn into a WRX or STI thread lol. I suppose I could afford it, but it was more than I wanted to pay. Im hoping to get around 17k for my Z and just paying the rest of the subi off.

I'm actually at a Subaru dealership right now lol

·
BooSTIng
2,867 Posts
Do a little searching. You can find a 15 or 16 STi with less 30k miles for around 30-32k. Then again, a brand new one will only be a few grand more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Test drove an STI and I loved it! I think it's a great blend between my Z and a practical car! Then again I could be high on the STI experience right now lol. A little pricey, the car was the base model and was quoting me 41,560 OTD fees included.. but not including the finance rate so I'm sure It would go up..

·
BooSTIng
2,867 Posts

·
BooSTIng
2,867 Posts
Test drove an STI and I loved it! I think it's a great blend between my Z and a practical car! Then again I could be high on the STI experience right now lol. A little pricey, the car was the base model and was quoting me 41,560 OTD fees included.. but not including the finance rate so I'm sure It would go up..

Did you put it in S# and have some fun? lol I can relate to the experience. I have been driving subarus for over 10 years now. With one impreza, and 3 wrx's before finally getting my STi, I know the feeling of finally getting behind the wheel of one.

·
11,970 Posts
WRX if you want a daily. Newer drivetrain better fuel economy, arguably more reliable powerplant. Sti if you want a sporty car that can have fun at the track and drive to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Not trying to talk you out of new if that's the route you wanna take. I'm also not sure where about you are from. But in my area (actually within 100 miles on autotrader) I found a used 16 STi with less than 12k miles for only 32k.

Cars for Sale: Used 2016 Subaru WRX STI for sale in SPRINGFIELD, VA 22150: Sedan Details - 453450858 - Autotrader

Just to give you an idea, you can save a lot of money for the same car buying used.
No not at all, I would definitely consider used. I just wanted to get an idea of what I would really end up paying if I bought a new STI and it made it pretty clear that I'd be more than happy getting used lol. I live in The Los Angeles area, cheapest I've seen used around me is $28k with 29k miles.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The only problem with used is your spinning the roulette wheel as to whether the prior owner: a) Took care of the car; and b) Didn't tune the car.

Living in LA, you should test drive a Mustang GT or a Camaro SS. They both handle on par with the WRX and offer a much more enjoyable overall driving experience. So, unless you need the AWD, do yourself a favor and give them a try. No regrets, right?

My $0.02.

·
11,970 Posts
The only problem with used is your spinning the roulette wheel as to whether the prior owner: a) Took care of the car; and b) Didn't tune the car.

Living in LA, you should test drive a Mustang GT or a Camaro SS. They both handle on par with the WRX and offer a much more enjoyable overall driving experience. So, unless you need the AWD, do yourself a favor and give them a try. No regrets, right?

My $0.02.
Buying new is just as much a crap shoot. Pattern failures on new cars are common and often times never resolved. Jeeps and transmissions, Subarus and blown pistons, Volkswagen and fire issues.

Even under warranty recurring problems completely destroy enjoyment of a vehicle. Another member here is going through just this situation with his sti. A long standing steering issue that they are unable to resolve slowly sucking all enjoyment he has of his new sti.

Whatever you buy be sure you have a well rounded idea of what you are getting into, what problems they have, and if you can cope with said problems when they finally happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
WRX if you want a daily. Newer drivetrain better fuel economy, arguably more reliable powerplant. Sti if you want a sporty car that can have fun at the track and drive to work.

Wrx is definitely still an option. I think after seeing all the prices I'd just get one used, I saw one with 30k miles going for 17k. If I sell my Z it would almost be a direct trade so financially it would be perfect.... but.. I really liked the STI lol. I could just be high off of the test drive. I was on that mpg mode and the guy switched over to I want this car mode lol.

·
11,970 Posts
I would shoot for 2015 or newer personally. Although I'm not a fan of direct injection personally the newer engine is great in terms of torque delivery and efficiency

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

My $0.02.
The thing is I wanted a 4 door for my dog. It's just easier to transport her and she can have a window to stick out her head and slober the cars behind lol. It would also be an overall more practical car than a 2 door since I plan on keeping it as my only car for a while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Buying new is just as much a crap shoot. Pattern failures on new cars are common and often times never resolved. Jeeps and transmissions, Subarus and blown pistons, Volkswagen and fire issues.

Even under warranty recurring problems completely destroy enjoyment of a vehicle. Another member here is going through just this situation with his sti. A long standing steering issue that they are unable to resolve slowly sucking all enjoyment he has of his new sti.

Whatever you buy be sure you have a well rounded idea of what you are getting into, what problems they have, and if you can cope with said problems when they finally happen.

My 370z was bought new and I've been to the dealership for every known problem known to exist on a 370z. It's definitely a part of the reason why I hate it so much and definitely killed the enjoyment for me.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Just my .02 buying used I'd buy from a Subaru dealer or Carmax--a little bit more insurance it hasn't been abused. (At the local dealership where I bought my WRX the sales manager and 2 or 3 of the sales guys all drive WRX's.) I got my 2012 used at Carmax, 15k miles on it, absolutely unblemished.

Again, just my opinion but looking new vs used I would have a hard time paying over $30 for a used WRX or STI. If I spend that much I want everything shiny and unbroken-in.

New STI's RARELY show up in Omaha. The dealers often have 1 or 2 used ones in excellent condition, but not much of a price break. OTOH, when I've looked in the last year there were always 8-10 new WRX's on the lots.

·
Registered
416 Posts
the 370z nismo does 0-60 in 5 seconds, of coarse if you manage to get a perfect 0 wheel spin launch it will be faster but that is very unlikely to happen on the street so for me personally its irrelevant. the wrx will also do 0-60 in about 5 seconds and with awd it can do that on any clean dry road, in fact i bet it could do it under 6 even in the rain, my g37x can, try that with a rwd car. seriously, its a lot of fun actually doing little pulls at traffic lights in the rain. awd really feels good if you use its advantages.

its all about what you personally want. to me i dont need a car to still be pushing me into the seat well over the speed limit. but some people do and thats cool too.

i am really gonna miss how good this 3.7L engine sounds tho.

·
Registered
767 Posts
What I liked about the RWD Z4 was the ability to throw the tail out easily and predictably on turns. An absolute crowd pleaser.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts