Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's how much more efficient my upgraded turbo will be than the stock TD04. I'm installing it next weekend.

You turbo guys, what kind of power increase am I looking at? I'll be using the stock ECU and fuel and keeping the boost where I have it now with the bleed valve (13.5 - 15 psi)

·
2,210 Posts
What are you getting; the Forced Performance TD04 mod? If so; they just clip the wheel which provides more flow at the expense of significantly more lag. The lag is comparable to my VF30, while the flow is not. It's an o-k budget modification, but for just a little more money you can get a used VF23 or VF30.

-Pace

·
Registered
393 Posts
Pace,
when are ya planning on getting your VF-22 installed? I can't wait to see what kind of times you are going to run with it.

Todd

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the upgrade from Turbochargers.com. It's a T28 (Super 60) compressor wheel with no modifications to the turbine side. I voted against getting my turbine clipped exactly for that reason (lag) and the fact that I'm not modifying my engine or going or "big hp" (300+).

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The dynos of the FP and VF30 turbos from Turboxs.com are here.

Looks to me like the FP blows pretty good compared to the VF30.With good engine management the output is almost identical. Of course, with an upgraded fuel system, a bit more torque (and safety) can be expected.

Forced Performance says this: "The FP WRX upgrade gets its power from the combination of a larger compressor wheel, and clipping of the stock turbine wheel. In addition, the turbo is fully blueprinted, the rotational assembly is balanced to less than half the manufacturers tolerances, and rebuilt with all new bearings and seals."

So it's not just a clipping, a larger compressor wheel is fitted, too.

Both turbos offer a significant improvement over stock. I'm anxious to see how koyokid's turbo works out for him. I hadn't heard of the turbochargers.com upgrade until he mentioned it. With good up and downpipes I'll bet his car will scream.

misterx

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Up/downpipe will remain stock for now. I think the main problems with the up-pipe come with running high boost levels (+16 psi.) I'm really going to keep the boost level I'm at now, maybe less, but I think 13.5 with the 15 psi max I'm at now will not be a problem.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I've run boost levels higher than that without a problem with the uppipe. Once I installed the 3/16ths mod for a day or two and saw boost levels of almost 20psi (bad JuJu)! ILP performance installed my Godspeed uppipe and it has never leaked. I'm going to have to ask treekiller to share his technique with us.

misterx

·
2,210 Posts
MisterX said:
The dynos of the FP and VF30 turbos from Turboxs.com are here.

Looks to me like the FP blows pretty good compared to the VF30.With good engine management the output is almost identical. Of course, with an upgraded fuel system, a bit more torque (and safety) can be expected.

Forced Performance says this: "The FP WRX upgrade gets its power from the combination of a larger compressor wheel, and clipping of the stock turbine wheel. In addition, the turbo is fully blueprinted, the rotational assembly is balanced to less than half the manufacturers tolerances, and rebuilt with all new bearings and seals."

So it's not just a clipping, a larger compressor wheel is fitted, too.

Both turbos offer a significant improvement over stock. I'm anxious to see how koyokid's turbo works out for him. I hadn't heard of the turbochargers.com upgrade until he mentioned it. With good up and downpipes I'll bet his car will scream.

misterx
Well, Koyo's turbo is another beast altogether so we probably shouldn't discuss the FP modification in detail. I will add that many people based their decision to go with the FP turbo based upon TurboXS' charts, but the astute observer will note that TurboXS have not formally included this turbo in any of their kits. Indeed, after the initial hype died down most users' reports that I have read of this turbo have been a little disappointing. One of my local WRX buddies (Rocky WRX) runs one, and my casual observation is that it has nearly as much lag as my VF30 and none of the top end. In short, it performs as you would expect a small clipped turbo to perform, with minor revised internals. It's no Power Enterprises, and in fact it's no VF23 or VF30.

I contend that the limiting factor in TurboXS' stage 3 testing is the stock fuel system utilized, with regard to the VF30 at least. The FP hybrid does not seem to be able to max the stock fuel system, whereas they had to utilize a conservative state of tune with the VF30 to keep the setup 'safe'. This is why it only produces 10HP more on top in those charts. But then note that they chose the VF30 for the stage-4 kit which produces significantly more horsepower, and it should be obvious that the VF30 is a far superior solution for not many more dollars. However, if you are going to stay with the stock fuel system then the FP modified turbo is probably a more than adequate solution. Apples to Oranges, frankly.

-Pace

·
Registered
679 Posts
pace said:
Well, Koyo's turbo is another beast altogether so we probably shouldn't discuss the FP modification in detail. I will add that many people based their decision to go with the FP turbo based upon TurboXS' charts, but the astute observer will note that TurboXS have not formally included this turbo in any of their kits. Indeed, after the initial hype died down most users' reports that I have read of this turbo have been a little disappointing. One of my local WRX buddies (Rocky WRX) runs one, and my casual observation is that it has nearly as much lag as my VF30 and none of the top end. In short, it performs as you would expect a small clipped turbo to perform, with minor revised internals. It's no Power Enterprises, and in fact it's no VF23 or VF30......

it should be obvious that the VF30 is a far superior solution for not many more dollars.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh Noooo! My threads been highjacked! Somebody please help me!

·
2,210 Posts
koyokid said:
It's the upgrade from Turbochargers.com. It's a T28 (Super 60) compressor wheel with no modifications to the turbine side. I voted against getting my turbine clipped exactly for that reason (lag) and the fact that I'm not modifying my engine or going or "big hp" (300+).
So give us some more details.. Is this the same compressor wheel used in the FP TD04? What was the pricing on this unit? Core charge? Anyone else running it that you know of?

-Pace

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pace said:

So give us some more details.. Is this the same compressor wheel used in the FP TD04? What was the pricing on this unit? Core charge? Anyone else running it that you know of?

-Pace
I don't know which compressor FP uses but basicaly mine is just a bigger compressor (Super 60) with no change to the turbine. Mr. Tommy at TC.com said it wasn't necessary for my needs. Price is $575 w/good core. No core charge per say because they rebuild yours and send it back to you. As far as I know I'll be one of the first with this upgrade. Probably THE first at this forum.

I can't wait!:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
The problem with the stock uppipe when running higher boost has to do with flow, not the boost pressure you run. How can you flow much more air than stock and expect the system to be happy with the stock uppipe?
Therefore, why would you put a bigger turbo on there and keep the boost pressure lower to seemingly bypass the problem with the uppipe? You'll only end up with a car that has stock power and more lag. If you are worried about the dealer seeing an aftermarket uppipe, just punch out the cat internals on your stock uppipe.

·
Registered
679 Posts
koyokid said:
Up/downpipe will remain stock for now. I think the main problems with the up-pipe come with running high boost levels (+16 psi.) I'm really going to keep the boost level I'm at now, maybe less, but I think 13.5 with the 15 psi max I'm at now will not be a problem.
No, the uppipe isn't a limiting factory. Yes, you'll spool better, and make better midrange (I couldn't feel top end), but the uppipe cat is really a precat. When you look at it, it is really free flowing (for a cat). I've run higher than 16lbs with it and it's fine.

I would, however reccomend swaping it out. It was a very good driveability mod. Who cares who will see the uppipe? It can't affect warranty (5hp isn't going to break the tranny, and you've actually removed a possible turbo killer).

Another thing I found out the hard way with the hybrid turbo (past setup) is that everything isn't told in a compressor map. The turbine flow is REALLY important in performance. I'd say that'll be the limiting factor once you max out your setup.

-C

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TypeC said:

No, the uppipe isn't a limiting factory. Yes, you'll spool better, and make better midrange (I couldn't feel top end), but the uppipe cat is really a precat. When you look at it, it is really free flowing (for a cat). I've run higher than 16lbs with it and it's fine.

I would, however reccomend swaping it out. It was a very good driveability mod. Who cares who will see the uppipe? It can't affect warranty (5hp isn't going to break the tranny, and you've actually removed a possible turbo killer).

Another thing I found out the hard way with the hybrid turbo (past setup) is that everything isn't told in a compressor map. The turbine flow is REALLY important in performance. I'd say that'll be the limiting factor once you max out your setup.

-C
Thank you for confirming what I thought. The only problems I've heard of with the uppipe failing is with those going for higher than 300 hp, which I'm not (not yet). One guy ran a full turbo back catless system and left the uppipe on. Now that seem a little unreasonable. I can see why that uppipe failed. Plus he kept going +18 psi. Doesn't make sense.

I'm just trying to lay a good foundation for later, and I really don't want to go the "buy this" route (Stage 0, etc) simply because I like to do things differently. If I get 20 - 30 hp and more mid and higher range torque at the crank I'll be very happy. If I don't, I still have a better turbo than stock for later mods. So this is more of a foundation mod that I think will fit my needs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts