ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's sort of complete...Those of you who have followed those are my tuned numbers. The 18g however is way too SMALL for my application. I will be searching for my bigger snail.

Setup
2.5 usdm sti block
ported heads and tumblers
ported td05 18g
fmic
650 cc inj
blah blah blah etc...

Full spool is at 3k rpm...376 tq comes in at 3275 rpms...but my hp and tq dont cross at 5250...they cross at around 4700 ? This was at 18lbs of boost and I cant even hold that to redline. IT drops to 15 lbs in every gear. In fact I dont see more then 15lbs till 4th...Im gonna pick out a bigger snail and see if thats the problem. I dont think this turbo is meant for this block and heads. Thats all for now...

·
Registered
677 Posts
sounds like my VF29 except with a lot more power on tap.

Any clue as to what turbo you're going with now? FP Green?

·
Registered
300 Posts
13secwrx said:
but my hp and tq dont cross at 5250...they cross at around 4700 ?
There must be different scales for the torque and horsepower. It is mathmatically impossible for the two not to be the same number at 5250rpms.
On another note, would you like to sell that 18G? I'm looking for one ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
intersting. keep us updated cause i was thinking 2.5 with my 18g as well. (eventually Green)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No...650s are not enough..I will go w/ 800's. I was looking at green, gt 30, gt 35r, t67...it wont be till winter though...need my trans. first. I also need a clutch.

The 18g is no good for an2.5 block...

·
Registered
211 Posts
13secwrx said:
Full spool is at 3k rpm...376 tq comes in at 3275 rpms...but my hp and tq dont cross at 5250...they cross at around 4700 ?
This is mathematically impossible. HP and TQ HAVE to cross at 5252. Something is screwed up. The only reason I mention this is your numbers might actually be wrong.

P.S. 20G might work if you want to stay with those 650s.

Jimbo

·
Registered
267 Posts
yup i agree 18g is small even my pe1820 for our 2.5L.. anyways how's the car running?does it pull alot stronger than your old set up.. i remember u pulled around 340whp on your old set up but look at your torque 376:eek: it's higher than mine 365wtq :D i assume this was on pump gas? i think we should do an fp green or deadbolt superzilla with external wastegate.. a gt30 or 35 would be nice too ;)
by the way i'm driving to NC tonight and be back next week.. should be a fun drive.. anyways i'll give your rematch next weekened :tongue: you'll probably win this time since your car is tuned and more torque :tongue: see u at the meet.. L.I.S.C RULEZZZZZZ!

here's a copy of my dyno sheet so you can compare it to yours ;)
P.S. --> my run condition was 90 degrees and with fouled plugs so i think i could have squeeze alittle more power ;)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wont win...I cant hold boost...the turbo gives up... :thumbdown

But at least I have it back...between not holding it and my slipping clutch my 2.0 was a better choice...I wish I would have gone that route...Built 2.0 or 2.2....I hope I don regret it later.

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
3,814 Posts
Hey 13sec, glad to hear you have the car back! I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with it.. As you know, I have the exact same setup on my stock 2.0l and it is still problem free, probably because I have NEVER run the race gas map and NEVER launched it in the 2 months or so since I got it back from the shop.... :redface:

I would really like to get your opinion on the 2.5 vs ??? as I am planning on a motor/ tranny build up at XX to be done for this coming spring...

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
13secwrx said:
I wont win...I cant hold boost...the turbo gives up... :thumbdown

But at least I have it back...between not holding it and my slipping clutch my 2.0 was a better choice...I wish I would have gone that route...Built 2.0 or 2.2....I hope I don regret it later.
I'm sure you can tune a lot of these problems out of the system with a bigger turbo. I wouldn't get too dejected about your tuning problems right away since you're basically working with the wrong equipment....once your exhaust side has a lot more room to flow, your turbo won't be choking the sh!t out of your car.

I've started to give up on ever beating you or midknight since you both are gonna rape me in the torque/spool department :( Picking a big turbo for a 2.0 liter is a miserable process, everything seems to big, nothign seems big enough, it's this huge paradox. Be glad you have that little extra umph to push a big snail...I'm gonna need a wetshot to make any sort of power compared to you. I'm not going to lie though, I'm going to love how revvy this 2.0 liter is, it's going to just scream every time I drive it....that good kind of screaming :cool: ....really sexy. Good luck Will, now go get some balls (bearings of course :D )

~Tim

·
Registered
423 Posts
Timdog1650 said:
I'm sure you can tune a lot of these problems out of the system with a bigger turbo. I wouldn't get too dejected about your tuning problems right away since you're basically working with the wrong equipment....once your exhaust side has a lot more room to flow, your turbo won't be choking the sh!t out of your car.

I've started to give up on ever beating you or midknight since you both are gonna rape me in the torque/spool department :( Picking a big turbo for a 2.0 liter is a miserable process, everything seems to big, nothign seems big enough, it's this huge paradox. Be glad you have that little extra umph to push a big snail...I'm gonna need a wetshot to make any sort of power compared to you. I'm not going to lie though, I'm going to love how revvy this 2.0 liter is, it's going to just scream every time I drive it....that good kind of screaming :cool: ....really sexy. Good luck Will, now go get some balls (bearings of course :D )

~Tim
Tim,

You have no idea how much boost/power your block can handle....i'm positive that you can throw in a T04R or a T67 with a 100shot and it'll take it without breaking a sweat.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Compared to Pe's graph mine shoots up all its tq by 3200rpms...yours is much smoother. I like to have revy 2.0 taht spins to 8k.. but for now I will continue to do research. Just sux to drive it w/this turbo...I wonder if my heads flow more then pe's ?...Cuz our turbo is pretty similar but his looks like it is doing ok...I wonder if my heads flow more air ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here is a thread thats devoted to a GT30R tuned STi. crazy power numbers. now i dont know if you wanna go all out completely (hmmm im sure that on race gas with a gt35r you could pull off 600 to the wheels...) but 400 to the ground is just about crazy enough for anyone. btw, what clutch/tranny setup are you going to be using when you put in the bigger turbo?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
SLOW4EAT said:
Tim,

You have no idea how much boost/power your block can handle....i'm positive that you can throw in a T04R or a T67 with a 100shot and it'll take it without breaking a sweat.
I know, but that is a different discussion for a different thread ;)

13secwrx said:
Compared to Pe's graph mine shoots up all its tq by 3200rpms...yours is much smoother. I like to have revy 2.0 taht spins to 8k.. but for now I will continue to do research. Just sux to drive it w/this turbo...I wonder if my heads flow more then pe's ?...Cuz our turbo is pretty similar but his looks like it is doing ok...I wonder if my heads flow more air ?
Will, from what I can gather, the USDM STi heads are the same port size as US heads, the only difference between the two being the cams in the STi (they have AVCS, higher lift, longer duration). I highly doubt that PE's heads are outflowing yours because of the port size, but are definately rocking your socks off in the top end because of the different cams, and the smoothness of his graph can be directly attributed to his AVCS....it levels torque out SO much compared to a regular timing cam. Also remember that the flow characteristics of the 1820 favors lower boost, more timing, smoother flow....wheras mitsu based turbos need to blast up into the high boost numbers before they start flowing really well...that's why his graph probably looks nicer, because his flows more with less boost, but flows less with more boost....they're about the same turbo with their power peaks at opposite ends of the spectrum. I feel like an avo450 has your name written all over it :D

~Tim

·
Registered
423 Posts
13secwrx said:
what if you went with some V7 heads? and you can use the cams that came with them or throw on some JUN goodies, it might make your motor a little rev happy...

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
SLOW4EAT said:
what if you went with some V7 heads? and you can use the cams that came with them or throw on some JUN goodies, it might make your motor a little rev happy...
That's not going to solve the problem that he's experiencing...his heads already flow as much as v7's, with the exception of the cams. At this point if he wanted to totally work his heads, the only thing he'd need to do would be get oversized valves, springs, retainers, different cams...all that would be about $1900 bucks if you're talking about JUN stuff, cheaper than v7 complete heads.

The reason that block can't and shouldn't rev past 7200 RPM (and you can ask anyone who builds engines) is that:

a) the crank and internals aren't balanced and the whole engine will become FAR less reliable...it will seriously just break the fukc apart up there at high power levels if you don't use high end forged internals that have been precision machined down to specs.

b) It doesn't do anything...there is no power to be had up there on the 2.5 liter....after 7500 I'd be willing to bet that block would just stop putting out great torque numbers, and shifting earlier than redline would end up netting faster ET's.

STi blocks are designed for midrange response and high torque....trying to put it into any other role is going to be hard as hell..not to mention expensive. That's why the Axxis Racing engines with huge displacement numbers are only recommended up to 7250RPM...it's the nature of the beast.

~Tim

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Could I just throw some cams in there or do I have to do valves, etc... I forgot about the avcs...damn sti's...Im fighting a losing battle..

I am going to get the jdm 6spd...seems like the best option.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
will you have a problem, so u should by me applebees next week :D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts