Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have right now invidia downpipe, and turboxs uppipe, i am planning on getting a UTEC by the end of summer. which should put me around 315 at the crank. How would this hold on the stock tranny. should i get a new clutch/flywheel?

·
Registered
16 Posts
????You can absolutely reach 315 at the flywheel w/out a new turbo. at the wheels is a different story....i'm always amazed at some of the posts i read in these forums...:rolleyes:

·
1,911 Posts
I wonder how they calculate that. I always estimate 20% driveline loss. So to reach 315 HP you'd have to get around 250 whp. Something that although you can do with race fuel or a VERY extreme street map you certainly can not get on an everyday basis. More likely is around 240 whp although for the same amount of money I can get you a lot more power than that using a bigger turbo so I guess it depends on what you really want. Heck with just an uppipe, downpipe and a UTEC you can get around 225 whp so there's your value right there. That's under $2000 even with dyno tuning.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Well how do you dispute their dyno graphs?

I also would like to add that I believe our drivetrain loss is more than 20%. I'd say at least 23%.

Maybe your just being conservative, underrating (as per the big three) which isn't always a bad thing.

·
1,911 Posts
Shard said:
Well how do you dispute their dyno graphs?

I also would like to add that I believe our drivetrain loss is more than 20%. I'd say at least 23%.

Maybe your just being conservative, underrating (as per the big three) which isn't always a bad thing.
I do NOT disput their dyno graphs. In fact my dyno runs just a tad lower than theirs due to the bigger rear pods I have but I guess I'm just using 20% to calculate which is conservative. As I said, I can get you 225 whp on my dyno with just my uppipe, downpipe, UTEC and tuning. That's about 50 whp increase for $1500 plus dyno time! That's a nice option for those who don't want to spend over $3000 for 70 whp gain and not even have it dyno tuned for that price. Keep in mind that when you see dyno graphs for their Stage III, they obviously tuned everything which is not something everyone does. I get at least 10-20 whp from just dyno tuning alone. It really depends on what you want though. To each their own. All I'm saying is that you will not reach 250 whp with stock turbo on pump fuel, at least not safely and reliably.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
K2Skier said:
????You can absolutely reach 315 at the flywheel w/out a new turbo. at the wheels is a different story....i'm always amazed at some of the posts i read in these forums...:rolleyes:
I'm amazed you're talking sh!t about God's advice. I'm sure Eli takes him seriously, I know I do.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
i've seen dyno's where it's 181. wasn't the exhaust shootout wrx 181 stock to the wheels??????

eli no matter how much whp u have u wont break into the 15s haha sorry it's a cheap shot. up the b00000000st

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Alright god. I see where your coming from. No hard feelings bud. I just thought it possible, i suppose it's all relative :).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Turboxs's whp to chp's are 100% BS - inflated. They also use a BS stock dyno plot. 315 chp will not happen on the stock turbo without race gas or water injection. I would say 290-300 chp with stage 3.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:
i've seen dyno's where it's 181. wasn't the exhaust shootout wrx 181 stock to the wheels??????

eli no matter how much whp u have u wont break into the 15s haha sorry it's a cheap shot. up the b00000000st
I don't think they were stock, I think they had UTEC. I've got it lying around here somewhere...

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Wade-0 said:
I don't think they were stock, I think they had UTEC. I've got it lying around here somewhere...
They did have a UTEC. I dunno, I believe 315 whp is possible... w/o a new turbo.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
i have ~300 to the wheels... most of the time i keep my boost turned down tho... if i had race gas ALL the time id keep it cranked all the time.. tahts why im going water injection...

anywho, i have ~59,000 miles on my car... and it has been modded since 5-10,000 with no problems... and i have huge stacks of time slips from the track... i do have an awesome clutch/flywheel tho...

STi/Exedy twin plate

-mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
TXS uses a 36% driveline loss figure - very high. TXS and Shiv are the only big name tuners that really overplay the 'estimated crank hp' numbers game. Godspeed and Cobb have it right: 280-290 crank hp is the most you're gonna reliably get day in and day out on pump gas with the stock turbo.

With a nice upgraded TMIC like the TXS one yes you can overboost the stock turbo out of it's effciency range to get more power. At these psi levels the turbo is pushing lots of very hot air, but the better IC is able to cool it off enough to keep EGT's reasonable. This however is REALLY bad for the turbo - it won't live long churning out that much pressure every day. At this point, you need to upgrade the turbo rather than put on a TMIC.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts