Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called my local subaru dealership to see if there is a 40k mile tune-up because I just hit 40k miles on my 2017 WRX. They asked me if I had done the recommended 30k mile service and I had not done so. They told me it was about $400.00 for them to do a list of things which mostly sounded like changing the oil, oil filter, cabin filter, and rotate the tires and "check" a list of other things.

My question is, how much of what they do is bullcrap because it sounds like you're paying $400 for an oil change. What things in particular should I do or at least check now that I am at 40,000 miles. I'm willing to pay to replace or fix whatever needs done but I am not spending that kind of money for them to "check" a bunch of things and have my car for half the day. I'd more than likely still have the dealership do whatever work is recommended by any feedback I get because I don't have access to most tools to do any serious work. Any recommendations are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,913 Posts
It tells you in the manual.

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
It seems to me like you posted in order to complain and when XJman did not validate you with the lip service you were expecting, you lashed out (yes, we can all see your reported posts).

XJman's post was legitimately helpful.

Guess what? All that information is readily available in the booklet you received with your car called "Warranty and Maintenance information." It looks like this for my 2015:

If you chose to toss that book in the trashcan and scream "But muh Magnuson Moss Act!" at the top of your lungs, not our problem. We just love whiny posts, and when the response to helpful information is sarcasm, we love it more.

·
Super Moderator
10,913 Posts
Wow, so insightful.
What exactly did you want?

Someone can type out everything in the manual and you can read it on your phone and computer. Or you could cut out the middle man and just read it right there from Subaru.

It's impossible for anyone to memorize every single possible thing in there to regurgitate online at the drop of a hat when someone asks. If you have a question about a particular service it's telling you to do it can be answered as in-depth as you want.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My only recommendation is to check the manual . . . and then buy the parts and do them yourself. It will save you quite a bit of coin and most of the items in the 30K maintenance schedule are quite easy to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had this done to my 2018. They replace the pvc valve, the brake fluid, all the filters, rotate the tires, and a few other things. Mine was covered under the service plan though so I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It has been a couple of years since I had those services done on my WRX but at my local independent Subaru service shop -- the amazing Super Rupair in Boulder, Colorado -- the 30K service was $295; the 37.5K service was $80; the 45K service was $110; and the 52K service was $135 (that's all miles, not kilometers). That's all routine service without any repairs or modifications. The service interval on my WRX is 7500 miles with an oil change at 3500 miles or annually, whichever comes first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts