Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I'm not there yet. It's my goal. So far I removed the intake silencer. Got a K&N. Plan to get the Blitz SBC-ID boost controller. Probably will work on the downpipe(damn, my bank account will be on fire!). And of course a BOV.

Now, I don't know if I can reach 300HP with those mods, but my question is: how far can we go without upgrading the tranny? Thank you.

Hey, which downpipe or exhaust system gives the best performance and HP without being too loud? I don't care if it sounds cool or not, just looking at performance only. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Several Rexers have over 300HP and are experiencing no problems with their transmissions. Of course, they still have their stock clutches as well, which slips like it's greased when you try to do something you aren't supposed to do in order to preserve first gear. I can't wait to see what happens to thier trannies when they put a more aggressive clutch in. I think stuff will start breaking right away.

I would highly recommend the M2 performance turbo back exhaust. http://www.m2performance.com It is less than $1100 and performs extremely well without being obnoxiously loud. According to Dan (God), upgrading the exhaust is not necessary until you upgrade the turbo. Your money is better spent on a catless uppipe and an ECU upgrade, like the Unichip.

As far as a BOV goes, the APS/Cobb Tuning unit is by far the best performing BOV. http://www.cobbtuning.com They use it on their rally car that has over 600HP. It's a little costly at $280, but I think it was worth every penny.

-Jim

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not flashy

Thank you.
Well, I'm not flashy. Not anymore. I will spend the money for quality performance upgrade and want to keep my car stock for the exterior part of it.
I forgot about the rims and tires. I DO need some. I was lloking at the some that would like the stock ones but 17". Anybody knows who sells the WRX 17" like they have in Europe?
I wanted some 225 on there. Too much? What should I be careful about when it comes to rims and replacing them?
My Brother who used to be a mechanic in France told me that if I buy tires rated for high performance, almost anything will do. Of course some brands are better than others but at this level and price range, things are usually better manufactured no matter what brands you get. Am I clear on that one or I confused everybody? I wish I could get some Michelin though.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I know someone who ordered the 17" European WRX wheels. I'll find out where he got them. I know they were expensive and he still has to put some rubber on them. I'll be going with Volks or SSRs, I can't see spending a lot of money on another set of cast aluminum wheels. True performance wheels MUST be forged! Light and strong, and only marginally more expensive.

-Jim

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forged?

How do you know if they are forged? Can you tell by just looking at them? Because I never trust sales people. Sorry if we have any around here.

What do you mean by putting rubber on them?

Any good link for Volks or SSRs? Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are the newest ones

The ones I was talking about have the exact same design we have here but in 17. Couldn't find them anywhere. Thanks though.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
ticrab,

rubber=tires :D It's a figure of speech.

Dan (God) of Godspeed Motorsports sells Volk Racing Wheels and Tirerack sells the SSR competitions.

Forged wheels have a thin-wall and solid look to them, where as cast wheels have an "open grain" or sandy texture. I should mention that Volks are solid forged and SSR competitions are semi-solid forged. I don't really know what the difference is, but the SSR competitions in 17x7.5" weigh only 13.5 lbs!! The Volks are like 15 lbs in 17x7.5" and are essential the nicest wheels that you can put on a Subaru, IMO.

-Jim

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All right!

Light and solid, I like that!
Yeah, Platinum, I'm pretty dumb sometimes. I was going to call Trojan and get a full size customized cover for my wheels! :D
Seriously, I guess I should just hold on my other mods for now and get those wheels on ASAP.

·
Registered
333 Posts
As far as the best tires for the WRX I´d recommend the following:
Pirelli P-Zero Rosso s, Michelin MXX3 SX s, Bridgestone Potenza S-03 s, Yokohama Nexus s, or even some from the Toyo Proxes line.

These recommendations go out in the assumption that you only care about HIGH PERFORMANCE... not money :D These things can get kinda pricey....

One last thing, DO NOT get Nitto tires, they are for ricers and they suck crap!

·
Registered
218 Posts
go with the kumho supra ecsta 712 if price is a big issue. they are like half the price and are still very good. atleast from what i have heard on the boards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts