Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if he was a twin turbo or not, but by 2nd i was ahead by half a car length, (I made a conservative lauch since it was just for fun) and then third was like he was standing still. i'm pretty sure twin turbo would have done better so I think it wasn't one. But it's still nice to know where I stand as far as the normal 3000GT goes. He was a nice guy and complimented me on my car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
one more thing. Are yall finding that it's particularly hard to even convince people to race these days? Damn. I specifically got this car to be a sleeper, a four door sedan Corvette killer (Eventually). But everyone here, even the people who actually could probobly beat me, have this idea that my car is insane fast and dont' even want to give it a shot. Kind of sucks eh?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah i know where ur coming from. I got my black BMX bike and it was to be a sleeper with all the other kids. But its hard these days too cant get a kid on a tri-cycle to race u.

·
2,210 Posts
FutureWRX15 said:
Yeah i know where ur coming from. I got my black BMX bike and it was to be a sleeper with all the other kids. But its hard these days too cant get a kid on a tri-cycle to race u.
LOL.

Nobody will race me either. Except for soccer moms in big SUVs who are living under the delusion that their 6000lb behemoths are 'quick'.

-Pace

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Nice kill, was he modded?

Future: you race kids on your BMX bike?

-Josh (fellow BMX'er of 6 yrs.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well coming from a DSM fan, you did not race a twin turbo vr4. You probably raced the non turbo model with like 195 hp and weighing alot.

Now if it were the VR4, unless you were heavily modified, you would have had your @$$ handed to you.

Patrick

·
Registered
376 Posts
It is quite possible that he may have ran into the first gen 3000gt vr4 which produces "only" 300 hp. Keep in mind that the 3000gts are pigs and polkaband's car is near the 300hp level(crank). But from the description of 3rd gear it would not be the same. So you probably beat down a SL. This is only if the vr4 is stock but it is highly unlikely. Too many things can happen when racing. Missing a gear... etc..

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
BamBooI said:
It is quite possible that he may have ran into the first gen 3000gt vr4 which produces "only" 300 hp. Keep in mind that the 3000gts are pigs and polkaband's car is near the 300hp level(crank). But from the description of 3rd gear it would not be the same. So you probably beat down a SL. This is only if the vr4 is stock but it is highly unlikely. Too many things can happen when racing. Missing a gear... etc..
Yeah, I road in the LAST MODEL YEAR. SICK MAN SICK.

-Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mitsu underrated the '99 VR-4, really? I never heard that before, and I know several people with heavily modified 3000GT's. Where did you hear/read that?

Anyway, ya gotta love a car that does over 70 in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I dont know. Ive seen specs on VR-4s, not too impressive. Theyre torquey and pull hard, but theyre all kinds of heavy. Anything is possible, especially if the other guy didn't know what he was doing.

To add to this VR4 dilemna, Ive never been in one, but followed one through a bunch of roads, and he was gassing it the whole way to our destination, it looked an overweight dog farting black smoke and not making much progress.

Just my witness.

·
2,210 Posts
1slowWRX said:
Mitsu underrated the '99 VR-4, really? I never heard that before, and I know several people with heavily modified 3000GT's. Where did you hear/read that?

Anyway, ya gotta love a car that does over 70 in 2nd gear.
The WRX will break 60mph in 2nd gear, which is none too shabby.

-Pace

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I'm not criticizing the WRX. In fact, I'm just beginning to appreciate the taller 1-2 gear in the WRX compared to my previous car, a '95 Talon AWD.

But there's something about 2nd gear in a VR-4/Stealth TT. It's just really impressive. Heck, even PlatinumWRX mentioned that riding in a bone-stock VR-4 is "awe inspiring." And his car should _easily_ be able to stay with or beat one.

Jared

·
Registered
424 Posts
Don't forget there are 5 power levels for the 3SI's.

91-93 VR4 ---> 300HP 5-speeds
91-94 Base & SL's -----> 222HP 5-speeds

94-99 VR4 -------> 320HP 6-speeds
95-99 SL ---------> 218HP 5-speeds
95-99 Base ------> 168HP 5-speeds

If you know your 3SI, you can tell almost the exact model year by looking at the front bumper/fog-lights.

Most people look at the spoilers though. If it had Flip up headlights, then it was 93 or older. 94 and up have the projector lights. Also, they had Flat spoilers from 91 'till I think 95. Then in '96 they changed to the arcing spoiler kind of like the eclipse has. The 99 VR4's have the 3 piece combat wing and that is the only year that has that spoiler.

Now, if it's debadged, you can tell trim level by looking at front brakes, 2-piston = Base or SL, 4-piston=VR4. Also, if it's bebadged, and it's older than a 94, then you can look at the spoiler, and if it has extra peices on it, then it is the ActiveAero wing which denotes it as a VR-4.

Love these things like my REX, this is what I wrecked in order to get my Subie.

SOOOO.......what model was it??

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was in a Dodge Stealth R/T and don't those things go something like 60mph in first gear before you have to shift? I am pretty sure that's what it was - maybe high 50s. Those things run in the low, low 5s in 0-60 so I'm pretty sure if it was a VR-4 (which is pretty similar I think to the R/T statistically) it would take you off the line and never look back.

Not 100% sure though...correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts