ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself with an extra $300 to spend modding an otherwise stock 2002 wrx sedan. I was planning on buying some fuzzy dice and a type R sticker, but then I thought I'd ask you guys and see if there's anything I could buy that would give me more bang for the buck. The car is stock aside from an alpine head unit. Ideas?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,451 Posts
Spend it on a Gates timing belt kit plus water pump. Buy an authentic Subaru thermostat and authentic water pump gasket and thermostat gasket though. Hours of fun. Due every 105K miles.

·
Registered
159 Posts
^^^^ funny guy :screwy:
Or you could buy a uppipe which is best bang for the money ( around 150 ) just ordered mine
You could do a Air intake - you get the nice sucking in sound when you get over 4k rpms
Short shifter with bushings
or you could just buy me something :woocow:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The uppipe thing was something I considered early on. At some point I'll probably end up gutting my stocker considering I live in CA, land of visual inspections. :(

I decided to spend the money on an AEM tru-boost mbcs. Since the car currently has no boost gauge it will act as that plus a controller to add a couple more psi of boost. I definitely want to do the short shifter too since my bushings are shot.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Or you could buy a uppipe which is best bang for the money ( around 150 ) just ordered mine
You could do a Air intake - you get the nice sucking in sound when you get over 4k rpms
I'd rather do what she said, man. You don't want that timing belt to snap and ruin your engine.
Intake will only add a woosh sound, no power.... and would probably need a new tune. So don't do that right off the bat.

VFXWRX: Don't go the MBC. These cars are temperamental. Read up on modding a Subaru before doing anything.
Get yourself a cheap/free OSECU stage 1 tune after addressing any maintenance needs.

Get a boost gauge.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Timing belt has just been done, so unless there's a benefit to using that particular brand I'd rather not replace it. I'm good without the 'woosh' so I did a drop in filter (no tune needed correct?).

I think I've gone through most of the maintenance checklist, so I'm hoping I'll be good to go with a 2 psi boost adjustment, no? I've heard 17psi is the max for the stock system so I'm planning on setting max at 16.5. Also, the tru-boost is technically an electric, not manual boost controller and does have built in safeguards such as overboost shutdown so I'm thinking I won't hurt anything right?...:confused:

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Even an MBC can be used marginally on a bugeye without a tune - no other model though.

16.5 is rather high with the stock cats all in place though. Target 15psi peak and don't go beyond that even without the cats without a tune. If you are at elevation, reduce it further. A correct way to increase boost involves fueling and timing changes (i.e. a stage I map, which costs less than this boost contraption). Read the link I posted, it is very condensed and won't take long.

I'd return it if at all possible and get a tactrix cable and flash stage I.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link! I did read through it and there's a ton of good info for newbs like myself. My tru-boost was about 280. The cheapest option I found for a stage II flash is buying a tractrix cable/downloading RomRaider or the like and buying a downpipe which would run a little more than that, and would I think require more tuning knowledge than I currently have. Is there a cheaper route to go stage II?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just noticed you said stage I not II which would not require a downpipe and therefore would be cheaper. I'm still a little concerned that my lack of tuning knowledge would get in the way of going the ecu flash route.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Contact them and see if they still have a stage I map (should be <$100) and get the cable. That will put you at a safe 15psi and will set the stage for going stage II later. You don't have to do any tuning, just load the map and do some logging. It is simple for anyone who grew up with a PS2.

Contact Us : XPT Tuning, The XPT Tuning Online Store

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do, thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I already ordered the AEM unit. Maybe it's not too late to cancel...

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
seriously? You have some researching to do.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so just to update this, I was able to cancel the AEM order. :D Looking at aftermarket uppipes to replace mine as gutting it seems to be a PITA and I probably don't have the tools to do a proper job (I welcome any suggestions for brands). On my way to opensource land! Looking at the tactrix openport 2 as a starting point. Thinking of flashing to this map:

OSecuroms & XPT Tuning • Login

1 - 20 of 46 Posts