1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good price. It should mate perfectly to the stock cat-back exhaust. As far as longevity goes, that cat is probably of a better quality that the stock ones, as metal substrates are the latest design. Also the location of the cat keeps it in a more protected area than if it were exposed to the street. Say you accidentally run over a brick or something (probably beat your front end up first.) You won't have to worry about cracking the insides, as it isn't a ceramic brick type. Nice that they included a heat shield around it. Helps cat "lightoff" a bit faster.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yep! About 60 miles, northeast of Baghdad. Just outside of a city called (but probably not spelled) Muqdahdiyah.

Anyhow, PM the vendor of the DP, as I'm pretty sure that it should mate up OK. I bought my TBE about two weeks before this came out, or I would have jumped on it. No worries though.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Go look at your stock cat back, the flange is not 2.5 inches it is 3 inches with a bowel for the donut that tapers to 2.5inches. Helix makes good quality cheaply priced parts I would have no problem buying that, it wont have any more problems mating to the stock cat back then any of the other 3 inch downpipes i.e. Godspeed, hks, Cobb etc...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
afpdl said:
Go look at your stock cat back, the flange is not 2.5 inches it is 3 inches with a bowel for the donut that tapers to 2.5inches. Helix makes good quality cheaply priced parts I would have no problem buying that, it wont have any more problems mating to the stock cat back then any of the other 3 inch downpipes i.e. Godspeed, hks, Cobb etc...
There are quite a bit of posts here and on other forums where people are having problems with mating the helix DP to the stock exhaust, due to the flange design. Mating to aftermarket cat-back seems fine.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I said no harder then other 3 inch downpipes. The problem is there is no more flex flange in the system so it is prone to leak so you have to do some wrestling to get it to seal properly. This is a problem with most downpipes that dont use a donut gasket. Although the flange mates up to the stock downpipe the sealing surface on the stock flange is very narrow since it was made to fit a donut.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought that godspeeds and cobbs use the factory donut seal? If I'm going to have the same fitment as the others (Cobb, Godspeed, etc...), then I'd have no problems trying this one.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Ive never personally seen a cobb so I cant say for sure, but I have installed and owned godspeeds before and they are definetly flat flange. Had to use 2 gaskets and push the stock cat back towards the downpipe about an inch just to get the nut to thread on the bolt.

·
Registered
820 Posts
FWIW, here is a post to the contrary. I have the Helix 3" DP mated to the factory WRX catback and it fits fine. No leaks whatsoever. Some people try to reuse the stock donut gasket...this is not how it's done. You convert to a flat 3" gasket with regular bolts...not the spring bolts.

VV

drfrink24 said:
There are quite a bit of posts here and on other forums where people are having problems with mating the helix DP to the stock exhaust, due to the flange design. Mating to aftermarket cat-back seems fine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Considering the engine can move under load, does the lack of any flex section worry anyone?

Maybe stiffer motor mounts would be in order?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts