Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for the car to hesitate in 2nd gear under these conditions:

1. Going smoothly and gently from 1st to 2nd at a fairly low rpm

2. Stepping on the gas as soon as the clutch engages in 2nd gear.

I don't know if there is a problem or just the way the ratios are set up. I know if I'm rolling in neutral around 10 to 15 mph, the 2nd gear doesn't have enough power and it's very hard to get into 1st.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
are you talking about a stuttering feeling when you gas it in second, or do you mean that the car has no power for a bit?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
djrez4 said:
are you talking about a stuttering feeling when you gas it in second, or do you mean that the car has no power for a bit?
It stutters a little bit when I gas it in second. It could be due to a lack of power, but I'm not sure.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Prince Ali said:

It stutters a little bit when I gas it in second. It could be due to a lack of power, but I'm not sure.
It could also be that your revs aren't up high enough in 1st and the turbo isn't spooled enough to NOT hesitate in 2nd gear. Is it hesitation or is it bogging? Are you running an MBC or are you stock? I would sometimes get a hesitation in 2nd with my MBC, but that was because it was leaking and it wasn't building vaccuum as quickly as it was designed.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have an MBC, but I do have a 50/50 BOV. I put the stock valve back on for a few days, but it didn't help. I'm not sure what the difference between hesitation and bogging are, but when I step on the gas, the engine struggles slightly for about a couple of seconds and then it takes off.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Prince Ali said:
I don't have an MBC, but I do have a 50/50 BOV. I put the stock valve back on for a few days, but it didn't help. I'm not sure what the difference between hesitation and bogging are, but when I step on the gas, the engine struggles slightly for about a couple of seconds and then it takes off.
What he means is are you shifting when the turbo is spooling like 4000 rpm or higher? Because if you're shifting at, say, 2500 rpm, your engine is just bogging until the turbo spools. If it is happening when the turbo is spooled then its hesitation and you have a problem.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's more pronounced when I shift around 2500, but if I quickly rev up (over 4000) in 1st then shift, it's barely noticeable. This is my first turbo so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm gonna say that if its happening at 2500, there's nothing wrong. You're just hitting the turbo lag. The turbo doesn't spool up until around 3500-4000 RPM. (meaning you don't get boost until then.) The car really has no power until then.

Nothing to worry about...:)

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
sounds like it's the lag to me too. try giving it a little gas in neutral during the gear transition. this should give you a little more oomph.

dR

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. I was a little worried, but I guess it's normal. I have replaced the exhaust and the up-pipe. Is there anything else I can do to reduce the lag?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts