ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This is my first MT vehicle and first WRX. So far I am pretty decent with shifting and getting to the catch point of the car. My question concerns with coasting in 2nd gear between 5mph-15mph. From time to time my car would bog back/forth with hesitation and kind of making me sick in the stomach. Is this normal for our cars? I read somewhere that I would have to play with the clutch in order to smoothly coast in 2nd. I don't completely understand what needs to be done. Half clutching? or just disengaging the clutch completely until i need to start going again? I appreciate everyone's advice.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Just don't bog it. My car doesn't like going slow either. The throttle is so sensitive I usually find myself accelerating to ~20mph, putting it in neutral and coasting. Riding the clutch will cause it to wear prematurely. My car isn't typical, but I feel your pain, believe me.

For what it's worth, if I'm not going over 20mph I don't ever reach 2nd gear.. it's just 1st, neutral, 1st, neutral..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just don't bog it. My car doesn't like going slow either. The throttle is so sensitive I usually find myself accelerating to ~20mph, putting it in neutral and coasting. Riding the clutch will cause it to wear prematurely. My car isn't typical, but I feel your pain, believe me.

For what it's worth, if I'm not going over 20mph I don't ever reach 2nd gear.. it's just 1st, neutral, 1st, neutral..
Thanks for your input MainFrame. Glad I'm not the only one. I guess wrx drivers get used to this? I've been coasting in neutral myself between 5mph-20mph because of the weird bogging. I'm in that speed range most of the time during traffic which sucks. I feel like i can't even engine brake in 2nd because it'll just make me sick.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It happens when I let off the throttle quick and it bogs back and forth. You get used to it and learn to avoid doing it, but sometimes I just want to shoot my transmission.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, I was just about to post a thread asking about this exact question on my '12. Good to know.

I was worried I'm having a trans problem. But I guess it's normal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're smooth coming off the gas, it should prevent the bucking you describe. If it does start bucking a bit, you can put the clutch in again, and then very smoothly pull it back out. This should stop the bucking, and then you can lightly moderate the gas to keep things smooth. I can drive my STi around my neighborhood at 20 mph in 3rd gear with no problems...just have to be smooth.

·
Registered
32 Posts
3rd is smooth. It's coming off the gas on 2nd that sometimes makes it buck. Actually it's usually only a problem in crappy traffic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it happens in 2nd, just try getting on the clutch again and smoothly coming off of it. That ought to fix it. Even though the drivetrain is a lot tighter than in my Legacy, there still seems to be some slop in it, causing the bucking when coming off the gas sometimes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's not really about engaging 2nd gear. blank and I are talking about we're already in 2nd gear and we want to just coast in it. either down hill or flat. traffic here in MA i'm always around 5mph-20mph. which equals too high for 1st and too low for 3rd. i'm having to coast in neutral sometimes because of this random hesitation. sometimes 2nd is ok. sometimes its angry at me so i put it in neutral. getting on the gas in 2nd is fine.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
if you replace some bushings, particularly rear diff mount bushings, then motor and trans mounts, this will change more from a bucking back and forth to a sudden jerk - significantly better, but it has to do with how the gears interact with each other, and the sudden torque moving things around, etc.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm really surprised by the horrible turbo lag in my '12 WRX. Accelerate from below about 2000rpm and the car makes grumbly, complaining noises. The torque specs on this car had me fooled - it has no torque until the turbo cuts in. I'm used to cruising at 40mph in 5th and being able to gently accelerate if needed. In this car, I need to drop a cog. But it's my first turbo car, so I guess it takes some getting used to.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I'm really surprised by the horrible turbo lag in my '12 WRX. Accelerate from below about 2000rpm and the car makes grumbly, complaining noises. The torque specs on this car had me fooled - it has no torque until the turbo cuts in. I'm used to cruising at 40mph in 5th and being able to gently accelerate if needed. In this car, I need to drop a cog. But it's my first turbo car, so I guess it takes some getting used to.
I don't usually go into 5th unless I'm above 45mph because of the slow acceleration that comes with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know about you later model guys but I do know that my bugeye shifts up to 30MPH in first gear, 60 in second, 90 in third and 120 in fourth. The only time I ever even use fifth is like an overdrive gear cruising highway speeds above 60.

That all being said, I too am getting some kind of weird pulsing/RPM oscillation when I'm 'coasting' down hill in second around 25-30MPH. I have just chalked this up to the Stage II tune or back-pressure or something but if there's a fix it might be nice to know.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Sounds like you are taking your foot off the clutch too soon as opposed to downshifting or rev-matching.

Driving these cars aren't anything like that Ford Focus or Honda Civic in the NA econobox world. You have to keep the RPMs up a little bit...they need to be driven over 2200-2500 RPMs to stay near the powerband.

Shift into second @ 15-20mph
Shift into third @ 30mph
Shift into fourth @ 40mph or so
Shift into fifth @ 45-50mph or so.

In my STI, I never go to 6th unless I'm cruising at least 55-60mph. Those shifts above will get you shifting around 3000-3300 or so on the Tach, and just at the cusp of spool. If you want to get on it more, you can from there and you will feel power a lot quicker than if you try getting on the gas at 1500k and waiting for spool.

It will just take you time to figure it out as you get used to it...then you will figure out how fun these cars can be :)

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
It will just take you time to figure it out as you get used to it...then you will figure out how fun these cars can be :)
Subarus suck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in traffic constantly at the same speeds and get the bucking from time to time in second gear. I've found that if I slowly ease off the gas to coast rather then just take my foot off the pedal immediately it helps prevent the bucking. You'll get used to the hang of it

·
Registered
32 Posts
The funny thing is it doesn't always happen. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. It's usually a problem under 2k, and going very slowly in traffic.

Anyway, as long as it's not actually "broken" I can work around it.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Hmmm...try this:

Get out on a big lot or clear open road in back woods or something, and recreate the "problem."

See what happens when you give it a little less gas gradually, as opposed to coming right off the gas to slow. Sounds similar to a situation I knew of when trying to teach someone to drive stick...everytime they'd get to second gear, it'd buck like crazy cause they'd keep taking the foot off the gas cause they were scared. Trick is, you gotta give it more...it bucks cause it's struggling to get enough gas to stay running, so it'd keep choking and bucking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
keep in mind that we're talking about "coasting" meaning no foot on clutch or gas pedal. and scenarios like going down a steep hill or in stop/go traffic. i did notice 2nd is alot smoother, as you pointed out Mikie13, anything above 2000rpm. it's just that during a traffic scenario i let the car in front go 2-3 cars length, then i go 1st, 2nd, then coast to either a stop or traffic picks up again and i can give it gas. the alternative would be just go 1st then neutral then coast and decide if i need to stop or engage 2nd. but i believe the consensus is that this is "normal" and people have their ways of keeping the wrx happy through lots of learning and practice. :) i appreciate everyone's inputs!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts