Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks :) Can 235/45/17's fit on a stock WRX? Without any drawbacks?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'd choose 235/40 17s over 235/45 17s for a WRX if you want to put 235s on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eh... I think I will just stick with 225/45/17's.

How harsh is the ride on 225/45/17 compared to the stock tires/wheels?

·
Registered
329 Posts
RLsChMiDt said:
...THEN your speedo will be inaccurate :(
235/40 17s and 235/45 17s will be off by almost the exact same amount just in different directions. I'd rather make my gearing shorter than make it taller.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
driggity said:
235/40 17s and 235/45 17s will be off by almost the exact same amount just in different directions. I'd rather make my gearing shorter than make it taller.
What?

If you have a 17" wheel, and add 40 mm of tire sidewall, you're overall diameter of the wheel/tire is going to be 5 mm smaller than the stock wheel/tire diameter.

For example, my 225/40/18s side by side with stock rims/tires is the SAME EXACT diameter...thus no inaccuracies (sp?) in the speedometer reading.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you... :)

:cool:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
2point0 said:
eh... I think I will just stick with 225/45/17's.

How harsh is the ride on 225/45/17 compared to the stock tires/wheels?
Harsher!

Let's put it this way, it feels like a well tuned sports car!!

Bumpy, but not too bad! I can live with it, so I'm sure you can too!;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Also the harshness of the ride will depend more on the tires. Yes in general they will be stiffer but you aren't going to loose your fillings from them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What happened to this post? Didnt I start it out at a question about the EVO? Where did that whole part of the thread go?

Just curious.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
I split the thread and left the Evo part in Off-Topic since you started talking about WRX tire sizes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
RLsChMiDt said:
What?

If you have a 17" wheel, and add 40 mm of tire sidewall, you're overall diameter of the wheel/tire is going to be 5 mm smaller than the stock wheel/tire diameter.

For example, my 225/40/18s side by side with stock rims/tires is the SAME EXACT diameter...thus no inaccuracies (sp?) in the speedometer reading.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you... :)

:cool:
No, you're misunderstanding the numbers on the side of the tire. 40 does not mean 40mm of sidewall. To get sidewall height you use that as a percentage and multiply it by the width of the tire. This is why a 225/45 17 and a 215/45 17 are different diameters.

Think about your setup. If you took 15 mm off of each sidewall compared to stock(55 to 40) you'd have 30mm less total sidewall. But you took off 2 inches of wheel diameter which is about 50.8mm. That would most definitely not be the diameter as the stock setup.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
driggity said:
No, you're misunderstanding the numbers on the side of the tire. 40 does not mean 40mm of sidewall. To get sidewall height you use that as a percentage and multiply it by the width of the tire. This is why a 225/45 17 and a 215/45 17 are different diameters.

Think about your setup. If you took 15 mm off of each sidewall compared to stock(55 to 40) you'd have 30mm less total sidewall. But you took off 2 inches of wheel diameter which is about 50.8mm. That would most definitely not be the diameter as the stock setup.
WOW! Now I understand why people use 45 on 225s for 17s...because stock is what, 55?

I was like, the difference is so great it doesn't make sense!!

THANKS SO MUCH ! I just learned something!!!:D :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So my best bet is 225/45/17's then huh?

Do 225's fill in the gap a little in the fender? NOT lateral, but horizontal. Like if you look at the car from behind, will the tire be closer to the outside of the car?

Like when you see those little probe's with HUGE tires sticking out beyond the car itself. I don't want that, I just want the tire to be pretty even with the outside of the car.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Fun Tire Calculator Site

Akiata,

Thanks for the fun Tire Calculator Site. Be havin' fun with it for the last 20 mins. He, he, he, boy I'm I easily amused.:D

·
Registered
258 Posts
2point0, yes the 225's will look better on the car. As far as how much the tire will stick out depends more on the offset of the wheel. The stock wheel has a 55 (or is it 52) offset while rota's have a 48 offset. That means the wheel is sticking out from the car more.

But in general, 225's will look and drive fine.

[email protected]

·
Registered
62 Posts
driggity said:
you're misunderstanding the numbers on the side of the tire. 40 does not mean 40mm of sidewall. To get sidewall height you use that as a percentage and multiply it by the width of the tire. This is why a 225/45 17 and a 215/45 17 are different diameters.
Yes.

For example, if you have a 225 x 45 / 17 tire, then the total sidewall height is 45% of 225 mm, ie 225 x 0.45 = 101.25 mm.

If you have a 215 x 45 / 17 tire, then the total sidewall height would be 215 x 0.45 = 96.75 mm.

driggity said:
Think about your setup. If you took 15 mm off of each sidewall compared to stock(55 to 40)
Huh? You just said yourself that the aspect ratio is a % of the tire width. Going from 55 to 40 would therefore not necessarily equate to a 15 mm difference.

driggity said:
But you took off 2 inches of wheel diameter which is about 50.8mm. That would most definitely not be the diameter as the stock setup.
The easiest to determine the speedometer variation would probably be to look at the difference in tire rolling circumference or to simply use a tire calculator...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Those last two parts you quoted were explaining why what he thought the numbers meant was wrong. Sorry for any confusion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts