Subaru WRX Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,600 Posts
Subaru can only afford to warranty 6k RPM for 2022.
The engines are not that likely to fail. Subaru is legendary for denying warranty claims because failures are almost always user error and not on them.

What I would have thought too, but isn't there a rumor that the STI is going to be a hybrid?
I'd expect that to be a good way down the road. The oy reliable source of information was Subarus own statement on it that came down to no STI for a while, and their future is electric.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Even though I know nothing about turbos, and might be talking out my butt, 6k still seems really conservative. Doing some "fun" runs yesterday, and that 6k cutoff is jarring. It really is still pulling hard at 6k. I'm sure there's a bit of room here.

·
Super Moderator
12,600 Posts
Even though I know nothing about turbos, and might be talking out my butt, 6k still seems really conservative. Doing some "fun" runs yesterday, and that 6k cutoff is jarring. It really is still pulling hard at 6k. I'm sure there's a bit of room here.
Do it and let us know. Failure will cost you over 10k and warranty request will have you laughed out the door.

The engine has a not insignificant stroke length with a large oversquare piston. It's not a high rpm platform.

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
569 Posts
Lol I remember those old B18c type r honda engine that were reving 9k rpm, that was fun and cool sound.

I don’t really care if my FA is stopping at 6k, I like how responsive it is low-mid range that’s perfect for public roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
In Æternum
16,874 Posts
This thread is still going?

·
Registered
173 Posts
This thread is still going?
I guess enough of us are fascinated by high revving engines. I know it wont happen but an 11k rpm turbo boxer would be fun.

Lol I remember those old B18c type r honda engine that were reving 9k rpm, that was fun and cool sound.

I don’t really care if my FA is stopping at 6k, I like how responsive it is low-mid range that’s perfect for public roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should have a 6.7k cutoff, not 6k like fa24.

·
Super Moderator
12,600 Posts
I guess enough of us are fascinated by high revving engines. I know it wont happen but an 11k rpm turbo boxer would be fun.

You should have a 6.7k cutoff, not 6k like fa24.
Yeah high rpm is fascinating for sure. I'm quite enamored by the s85 v10 BMW once used in the M5.

This just isn't the platform or engine design. Perhaps if you could shorten the stroke a bit but with the piston speed and the big piston I'd be concerned about rod strength. Something that was a little dubious on the other FA platform.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah high rpm is fascinating for sure. I'm quite enamored by the s85 v10 BMW once used in the M5.

This just isn't the platform or engine design. Perhaps if you could shorten the stroke a bit but with the piston speed and the big piston I'd be concerned about rod strength. Something that was a little dubious on the other FA platform.
Now that's a beauty. I'd love an e60 m5 as a weekend car. Just wish Yamaha made an exhaust for it.

Not the right platform for sure. Dimensions aren't the limiting factor, 94mm bore x 86mm stroke vs the 9000rpm GTS 4.0's 102mm bore x 81.5mm stroke. Probably more a function of what parts/materials Subaru can afford at this price point & drivability for other cars sharing this engine.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts