Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which one do you guy's think has the most potential? the vf39 does not seem to have the top end power that I need?

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
c5racr1 said:
which one do you guy's think has the most potential? the vf39 does not seem to have the top end power that I need?

no vf series shoudl be in the same sentence as the 20g, esepcially the 39, both the 16g and 20 are a good deal bigger then the 39

most potential and lag belongs to the 20g

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Re: Re: 20G vs 16G vs vf39

ebr0t said:
no vf series shouldn't be in the same sentence as the 20g, esepcially the 39, both the 16g and 20 are a good deal bigger then the 39
Corrected it for you;)

The 39 is about the same as a vf30, so anything with more potential then the vf30 has more potential then the 39.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
afpdl said:
Oh and vf's frankly suck except for the price.
i disagree, they work great for the wrx... but for the sti, they are a waste of money. (yes i knwo they come stock with one) but any others arent upgrades worth the money.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
They work fine for the price. But their design still isnt great. A $700 dollar turbo just inst going to perform like a $1200 dollar turbo. My friend with a vf on his wrx had horrible boost creep due to the crappy wastegate design on most vfs, thats the same thing that plauges the sti.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
afpdl said:
They work fine for the price. But their design still isnt great. A $700 dollar turbo just inst going to perform like a $1200 dollar turbo. My friend with a vf on his wrx had horrible boost creep due to the crappy wastegate design on most vfs, thats the same thing that plauges the sti.

i dont have a boost creep problem. If by perform you mean power at the expense of lag, then yes, they do perform poorly. But some do not want that amount of lag. Some prefer good power, with little lag.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I prefer power with no lag:p I dont mean bigger turbos the sr30 or even the sr40 with a smaller exhaust housing has the same or less lag then a vf30 and can make the same(sr30) or more (sr400) power then the vf30, simply because it is a better designed garret based turbo. But they are way over priced for the power they put out and are thus unpopular.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
afpdl said:
I prefer power with no lag:p I dont mean bigger turbos the sr30 or even the sr40 with a smaller exhaust housing has the same or less lag then a vf30 and can make the same(sr30) or more (sr400) power then the vf30, simply because it is a better designed garret based turbo. But they are way over priced for the power they put out and are thus unpopular.

milis sr 40 spooled at 4k or later. a vf30 does not, my 34 full boosts right around 3300.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Once again, the same old debate....huge power or quick spool up. If you qualify a turbo based on it's max HP limit, then you're subscribing to a philosophy that involves hard driving all the time. People like myself and Eli enjoy driving cars that have snappy low end performance with a near stock powerband, and don't have a lot of use for a turbocharger that is in vacuum for a ridiculous amount of time. Granted, the difference in spool up is at most 700 rpm between the vf34 and a super top end turbo like the sr50, but that is a concession some people do not want to make. The quest for ultimate road supremacy and drag power are not important to all members of the WRX world, and because of the car's handling potential the limit of the car's top end is very infrequently pushed. I am always excited to hear the massive numbers people put out, and thoroughly enjoy reading kill stories, but I will put my foot down and say that I will never put a massive turbo on my car, nor will I ever compromize daily performance just for a nifty dyno sheet post.

By all means boost away, flow away....but don't dare rip on people like me and Eli who favor the "mild to slightly wild" setup.

~Tim

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Que? Who was ripping on low end power? All I do is autox all I want is power below 3k. I just said if vf spent some more time design vf30s better they would put out just as much power and spool around 3k rpms or lower.

And remember what forum you are in an sr50 isnt a super high end turbo it spools faster then a stock sti does, seen dyno plots to prove it.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
afpdl said:
Que? Who was ripping on low end power? All I do is autox all I want is power below 3k. I just said if vf spent some more time design vf30s better they would put out just as much power and spool around 3k rpms or lower.

And remember what forum you are in an sr50 isnt a super high end turbo it spools faster then a stock sti does, seen dyno plots to prove it.
True true.....*retracts some flamage* I got carried away, forgot about the xtra .5 liters;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
To actually answer the original poster's question...I would say the 20g, 16g, and vf39- in that order. This order is based on how much potential power, which is what I assume you meant by "potential". The 16g is a bit larger than the vf39 and the 20g is much larger that the 16g.
-Ray

·
Registered
26 Posts
What about the 18g? I've seen 18g turbos for the WRX go for around $850, which is not much more than a VF turbo. I've heard it said that on the EJ20 they spool almost as good as a VF30 but perform like a VF30 on N20.

I was thinking about getting one of these myself. Our 2.5 with AVCS, ETC, and .3 higher compression should be able to spool one of these no problem.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
benton0311 said:
What about the 18g? I've seen 18g turbos for the WRX go for around $850, which is not much more than a VF turbo. I've heard it said that on the EJ20 they spool almost as good as a VF30 but perform like a VF30 on N20.

I was thinking about getting one of these myself. Our 2.5 with AVCS, ETC, and .3 higher compression should be able to spool one of these no problem.
vf39-16g-18g-20g

1 - 20 of 31 Posts