Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to this forum and awaiting delivery of my new 2023 wrx. I can't seem to find much information on the new engine. I want to build a reliable daily with as much power as I can get out of the stock engine without doing any major internal work and sacrificing any reliability. I am guessing around 350whp or so but can't really find much info on this. Not looking to build a track car and will be used 100% on the street. What kind of power can I expect and what kind of aftermarket parts/tunning would I need to get there. Reliability is my main priority. Any info would be helpful.

· Registered
8 Posts
Are you looking for 350 at the wheels or the crank? Cobb Accesport stage 1 on 93 oct are claiming 298hp on a mustang dyno ( by no means am I endorsing them). However consider that this is your build you do what you want. Me personally even on a street car I would still build brakes and suspension together for a more fun all around car!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you looking for 350 at the wheels or the crank? Cobb Accesport stage 1 on 93 oct are claiming 298hp on a mustang dyno ( by no means am I endorsing them). However consider that this is your build you do what you want. Me personally even on a street car I would still build brakes and suspension together for a more fun all around car!
I don't have a set number in mind, just looking to get the most power I can without doing major engine work and loosing reliability. 350 at the wheels is just a number that I am guessing could be achieved but I don't know, there is not much info on the new platform.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,750 Posts
I don't have a set number in mind, just looking to get the most power I can without doing major engine work and loosing reliability. 350 at the wheels is just a number that I am guessing could be achieved but I don't know, there is not much info on the new platform.
I don't know that the fa24 has had enough time to get ironed out. The fa20f in the outgoing WRX had people initially claiming 400+ on stock internals. Then the rod problem became apparent as did some transmission limitations.

· Registered
9 Posts
Hey everyone, new to this forum and awaiting delivery of my new 2023 wrx. I can't seem to find much information on the new engine. I want to build a reliable daily with as much power as I can get out of the stock engine without doing any major internal work and sacrificing any reliability. I am guessing around 350whp or so but can't really find much info on this. Not looking to build a track car and will be used 100% on the street. What kind of power can I expect and what kind of aftermarket parts/tunning would I need to get there. Reliability is my main priority. Any info would be helpful.
I have a 22 Wrx, I’m gonna wait til I pay it off and get second vehicle to start doing stuff to it, I’ve watched some vids on last gen upgrades that people have done for reliable upgrades so I assuming those companies are in the process of making parts. I’d like to have around 400hp,

· Registered
2 Posts
My experience with Subarus specifically is pretty limited. I’ve modded GM products, BMWs, VW beetles, and and I studied automotive engineering for almost 2 years before switching majors. So take the Subaru-specific portions of this with a grain of salt. I may stand corrected on some of these points, and if I’m wrong on any of these Subaru specific points, I hope someone will correct me. I’d rather give the wrong advice once and be called out on being an idiot than to give the wrong advice for 5 years and have the reputation of being an idiot. We’re learning every day.

2 things. First is that this platform of WRX is brand new. First WRX that’s not based on the Impreza platform, first WRX with the 2.4L (although we see in the ascent that the 2.4L platform can handle more boost than the WRX has and can handle some load.) There are reputable Subaru tuning companies that haven’t even come out with exhausts yet. All the research that we have at this point is gonna be less than maybe 10,000 miles’ worth. I mean I can tell you all about what will last roughly 2,000-10,000 miles but that’s not gonna tell you anything about reliability.

Second—I’ve seen a few posts saying that Cobb released their mapping software for the new WRX like a week ago. My 2022 WRX is my new daily and my M3 has retired to project status so I personally haven’t done a whole lot of research on tuning the VB outside of standard curiosity. I’m no expert in protuning in and of itself so I don’t know if I’ve got that verbiage right or not. I also haven’t fact checked this, so I’m admitting to knowing very little on the exact topic of pro tuning the VB WRX. I’ve been seeing lots of Reddit posts saying that Cobb just released mapping software or something similar for the WRX in the last couple weeks. Whatever just got released was what a lot of protuners have been waiting for, and just the last week I’ve been seeing pro tune results and Dyno graphs coming in showing close to 400 pounds of torque at the wheels on E40, horsepower at ~340-360 with no bolt ons listed in the forum posts I’ve been seeing. With my limited knowledge of the brand new WRX platform, and my limited knowledge of protuning these, it seems that a little bit of extra power in these cars is very attainable with little to no modifications. But then we loop to the first point. These are posts I’ve seen in the last week or two so it seems to me that we don’t even know yet if the VB can reliably survive those numbers and we probably won’t know for another year or 2.

My advice would be to wait a couple years. Let other people blow their engines and transmissions up for the name of science. Unless you have the money to replace an engine or transmission if it breaks for the sake of finding its limits, putting power down, and being a pioneer for the rest of us; I would just wait and see what happens with other peoples’ cars first. Especially if you’re not gonna track it, the new WRX in its stock form will handle its own against just about any car in its price range at a stoplight from 0 to a responsible extra-legal speed. I mean I’ve seen drag races of stage 1 VBs staying neck and neck with Stage 1+ VA WRX STIs. However I totally understand that stock cars don’t always really satisfy the butt dyno. If you’re itching to go fast soon, I would keep the Daily Driver driving you daily, and get an E36, a civic, an S10, an air cooled beetle, or an old WRX to modify and satisfy your power hungry needs. Or anything else you think would be fun with better power, brakes, and suspension. I mean fuck it, you could get a smart car and put a Mini Cooper S motor in it, a garrett turbo, have a body kit mocked up, add a lift and make it look like a tricked out roller skate that does loud fiery wheelies. Or get a salvage new gen Fiat Spider and shoehorn a used Coyote motor in it or an LS. Figure it out and see where it takes you. The options are unlimited. You won’t have to worry about voiding a warranty, and you won’t have to ever worry how you’re gonna get to work. At least until more is known about how the VB responds to extra power and the weak points are found. From what I understand, the transmission in the VB is the same or at least extremely similar to the outgoing transmission, so you likely have a limit there.

All that being said, reliability and extra power rarely go hand in hand, and they only do so to a point. I mean you can have a car with extra power still BE relatively reliable. Just for the most part, not as reliable as stock. There are often very specific exceptions, but not a lot of them. Personally if you don’t want to notice a reliability change, I would limit it to Stage 1, but that’s just me. I would do maybe exhaust, air box, pro tune, short shift kit, stickers and wheels and see if you’re happy with what you’ve got. It’ll probably be more of a bump than you expect. You’ll notice a change in reliability, but it might take you 2 or 3 years to notice. You’ll notice a fuel economy change quicker than that. Direct from Cobb, paraphrased: if you drive the car like the average person would drive their Camry, you’ll probably get better fuel economy but more power means more air and more fuel so if you use the extra power more often, fuel economy will go down.

Therefore even if you get better reliability, it would stand to reason that what you spend in fuel will outweigh your reliability and you’ll still spend more over time. Unless you drive the car like a grandma which is fine, but it makes the mods a moot point IMO.

cheap, reliable, fast.
Remember that you can only pick 2. In fact, in my experience sometimes you can only pick 1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts