Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Subaru WRX 6MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2022 WRX for two weeks. The turbo max psi meter on my dash display has shown max psi at 12.1 the whole time till today. It randomly switched to 10.5 max boost. Why is max psi lower now all of a sudden? Thank you for any help as this is my first car with a turbo.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru WRX 6MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be a huge number of reasons. Didn't accelerate as hard. Temp. Humidity. Fuel.
Ok. Thank you. I let it sit in my garage for an hour and went to crank it up. Still showed 10.5. Could it be because I’m almost out of gas? It showed 12.1 for 2 weeks of driving. Does it indicate a problem or will it go back to 12.1

·
In Æternum
23,557 Posts
Could it be because I’m almost out of gas?
No.

Does it indicate a problem or will it go back to 12.1
Boost isn't a single thing. It's a calculation of relative manifold pressure taken from subtracting MAP from Ambient pressure.

Where are you located? Is it hot? Do you live at altitude?

·
Registered
2022 Subaru WRX 6MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No.

Boost isn't a single thing. It's a calculation of relative manifold pressure taken from subtracting MAP from Ambient pressure.

Where are you located? Is it hot? Do you live at altitude?
North Florida. Garage kept. I bought it new 2 weeks ago and have put 600 miles on it. Dash gauge showed 12.1 the whole two weeks without ever changing. Today as I was almost home it changed max psi to 10.5.

·
Not a mod... or is he?
15,525 Posts
Ok. Thank you. I let it sit in my garage for an hour and went to crank it up. Still showed 10.5. Could it be because I’m almost out of gas? It showed 12.1 for 2 weeks of driving. Does it indicate a problem or will it go back to 12.1
Go to 3rd gear and at 3000rpm just flat foot it. You'll probably see boosts upwards of 20psi.

It is probably based off of mileage. Highest over so many miles.

Boost is not just made without load. You've got to have the engine loaded to make boost. If you cruise around under minimal throttle you'll see little to no positive manifold pressures. If you are flat footing every gear you'll see a high average.

Someone cruising 55 in 6th across corn country where the biggest hill is the speed bump in the highschool parking lot you will see minimal if any positive manifold pressures.

If you are doing the same thing up the rocky mountains you'll be probably over boosting the shit out of it.

·
In Æternum
23,557 Posts
North Florida. Garage kept. I bought it new 2 weeks ago and have put 600 miles on it. Dash gauge showed 12.1 the whole two weeks without ever changing. Today as I was almost home it changed max psi to 10.5.

That "Max" is only reset when you reset the gauge. Did you reset the gauge? Otherwise it has read the same 12.1 PSI because that was the max during that duration.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru WRX 6MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go to 3rd gear and at 3000rpm just flat foot it. You'll probably see boosts upwards of 20psi.

It is probably based off of mileage. Highest over so many miles.

Boost is not just made without load. You've got to have the engine loaded to make boost. If you cruise around under minimal throttle you'll see little to no positive manifold pressures. If you are flat footing every gear you'll see a high average.

Someone cruising 55 in 6th across corn country where the biggest hill is the speed bump in the highschool parking lot you will see minimal if any positive manifold pressures.

If you are doing the same thing up the rocky mountains you'll be probably over boosting the shit out of it.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru WRX 6MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That "Max" is only reset when you reset the gauge. Did you reset the gauge? Otherwise it has read the same 12.1 PSI because that was the max during that duration.
I don’t think I reset it. I wouldn’t know how to. Do I need to reset it periodically or just let it change on its own? Thank you by the way

·
Registered
2022 Subaru WRX 6MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like someone should do some research by either reading the manual or goggle for better understanding of how the turbo works.
I did read the manual and I did do research on Google. And you are correct. I am trying to learn. That is why I posted on this forum. I couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for in the manual or on google or on YouTube. I have a basic understand of how a turbo works. My problem is I don’t understand how my gauge works. If peak PSI on the gauge reads 12.1, I understand how that could go up. I do not understand how it could go down unless the gauge was reset manually (which I never did) or the car based the number on specific mileage driven.

·
Registered
2022 WRX
1 Posts
it resets every so often I dont know the parameter that causes it to reset but I do notice mine resets peak boost every few days or week.
side note: living at 5300 altitude at around 70 degree temperature I peak at 14.3 psi, I drove up to 10,000 feet yesterday my peak was about 10.2. In Florida with the heat on a cold day you will get higher peaks than on a hot day. Like someone said above: temperature, humidity, elevation are all part of factors that limit the boost. In my opinion Temperature and Altitude are the biggest factors.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru WRX 6MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it resets every so often I dont know the parameter that causes it to reset but I do notice mine resets peak boost every few days or week.
side note: living at 5300 altitude at around 70 degree temperature I peak at 14.3 psi, I drove up to 10,000 feet yesterday my peak was about 10.2. In Florida with the heat on a cold day you will get higher peaks than on a hot day. Like someone said above: temperature, humidity, elevation are all part of factors that limit the boost. In my opinion Temperature and Altitude are the biggest factors.
Thank you. That’s what I figured. I really appreciate the response.

·
Registered
2021 WRX premium
3 Posts
I have had my 2022 WRX for two weeks. The turbo max psi meter on my dash display has shown max psi at 12.1 the whole time till today. It randomly switched to 10.5 max boost. Why is max psi lower now all of a sudden? Thank you for any help as this is my first car with a turbo.

are you in the break in period? If so that’s why it’s reading low because you really haven’t gotten into boost? If you have been getting into the throttle and going over 3000 rpm and it’s still low swing back to dealer ship to see what’s up.

·
In Æternum
23,557 Posts
Hi guys
I owe a 2022 subaru Wrx limited
Last weekend I went to the canyon with 600 miles with peak boost at 12.2 and when I got back home my peak boost went up to 14.4.
That's normal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts