Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this issue for awhile now. The metal clip that is supposed to hold the male and female ends of the chargepipe together is not locking and obviously not holding the pipe together. Any type of pressure and it just pops out. I have an ets tmic but I haven't seen others with thus issue. It used to be a bitch getting on and off but now I have to use couplers and hose clamps which are just a band aid currently. I posted about this in the fb group and people are saying it's user error but I've taken the chargepipe apart quite a few times. The picture showing it all cooked and sideways is what happens when I hear the hissing and pop the hood. I'm just not sure how to remedy this. As there aren't any aftermarket chargepipes for the vb yet I am clearly gonna have to figure this out. Maybe I'm not pushing it far enough in to get it seated properly but I don't recall it ever being much of a pain getting it to go back in. Just taking it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 WRX
671 Posts
What benefit are you seeing from a tmic on an engine with minimal tuning support?

If it worked before, it might just be worn or stretched somewhere. Try oem replacements for the clamps, gaskets and that odd bellow-like connector.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
761 Posts
What benefit are you seeing from a tmic on an engine with minimal tuning support?

If it worked before, it might just be worn or stretched somewhere. Try oem replacements for the clamps, gaskets and that odd bellow-like connector.
I also don't get the point of replacing it with something that undoubtedly performs worse than OEM. The all metal unit on the 22's looks a lot like the STi TMIC and probably performs the same as well, which is known to support upto 500hp.

·
Registered
2021 WRX
671 Posts
I also don't get the point of replacing it with something that undoubtedly performs worse than OEM. The all metal unit on the 22's looks a lot like the STi TMIC and probably performs the same as well, which is known to support upto 500hp.
Interesting, didn't know STi tmic was that much better. wrx heat soaks on stock tune in hot weather.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
761 Posts
Interesting, didn't know STi tmic was that much better. wrx heat soaks on stock tune in hot weather.
Yea Killer B did a comparison and the 17+ (IIRC) VA STi TMIC outperformed all by a lot except for an older Spearco core. They say it's good upto 500hp.

The VA WRX TMIC looks a lot like the GR one so I'm not surprised. The VB looks much improved. Wonder if it could be swapped on VA.

·
Registered
2021 WRX
671 Posts
Yea Killer B did a comparison and the 17+ (IIRC) VA STi TMIC outperformed all by a lot except for an older Spearco core. They say it's good upto 500hp.

The VA WRX TMIC looks a lot like the GR one so I'm not surprised. The VB looks much improved. Wonder if it could be swapped on VA.
Just read that comparison, sounds like they got to big numbers on it.

That would be an interesting one. The 2022 intercooler is shared with outback, ascent & legacy from '19+. So basically anything with the 2.4 engine. The 17+ STi intercooler is for STi only.

Both of them have top inlet & bottom center outlets. The VA wrx is left inlet & right outlet so I don't think they will fit without custom charge pipes & intake manifolds. Might not be worth it since a Garrett tmic is only 600 odd dollars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts