Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2022 Subaru WRX White
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 WRX Spare tire with full size Summer OEM Wheel.

I bought a set of nice 2016 WRX 17 x 8 inch rims on craiglist for $300 and placed my Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 17-245/45 on these rims. These are great winter tires for the PNW and going back and forth to the Cascade ski areas.

I have been researching for a full size spare tire for my 2022 WRX. I decided to used one of my new 2022 WRX 17 x 8 inch rims with the 17-235/45 Dunlap Summer tire. I purchased on E-Bay: a Subaru Spare Tire Wing Nut Tie Down Holder OEM for $14; and, Subaru “A” Spare Tire Tool Foam Case Holder for $33.

I wing nut down the summer wheel tire to the spare tire bolt hole. I placed the Subaru “A” Spare Tire Tool Foam Case Holder inside the summer tire wheel. I placed my spare tire tools in the Case Holder. The fit was perfect. However, there is no air pumps or fixes a flat goop; they are not necessary. The jack handle is in a black bag to the left of the spare summer tire.

I had some scrap wood and 1/4 & 1/2 inch plywood lying around. I custom cut wood spacers and plywood to create a new rear floor deck over the spare tire well; and a round 1/2 inch plywood to cover the spare tire. The scrape wood is nailed to the plywood and is necessary to create a fully supported flat rear plywood deck for the carpet (carpet has a wet spot from my recent ski trip). See photos below.

Automotive tire Hood Wood Trunk Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Hood Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Road surface

· Registered
19 Posts
Nice set-up! I thought the full sized tire for a spare was to tall for that space. At least it was in the IIR youtube video. I went with the spare from Modern Spare.com used a bolt and wing nut from a 2004 WRX to hold the tire down and the foam tool holder out of a 2014 Forester. Just have to make the cover.

· Registered
2022 Subaru WRX White
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice set-up! I thought the full sized tire for a spare was to tall for that space. At least it was in the IIR youtube video. I went with the spare from Modern Spare.com used a bolt and wing nut from a 2004 WRX to hold the tire down and the foam tool holder out of a 2014 Forester. Just have to make the cover.
Thanks. I needed the wood spacers to make it lay flat. I lost none in the back and less than an inch in the front of the deck with the spacers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts