·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Reactions: a5m

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
Where is the STI and why would they increase displacement. I seriously hope it puts out gobs more torque for that 20% displacement increase.

No hatch, no interest from me.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
442 Posts
Where is the STI and why would they increase displacement. I seriously hope it puts out gobs more torque for that 20% displacement increase.

No hatch, no interest from me.
It puts out the same torque as the current model.

·
Æternum
15,861 Posts
A 6000rpm redline in a sport compact is an interesting choice.

Should make emissions compliance easier but IDK about the fun factor...

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
It puts out the same torque as the current model.
Torque under flat foot acceleration isn't important. It's torque out of boost that matters for a driver.

·
Æternum
15,861 Posts
Torque under flat foot acceleration isn't important. It's torque out of boost that matters for a driver.
You would expect vacuum torque to be a significant improvement. I noted the significantly higher vacuum torque in the STI over the WRX which I attributed to the displacement advantage. This car is nearly equivalent to the outgoing STI in displacement with a much improved compression ratio.

As someone previously noted, the torque has been likely limited because of the CVT. I'd bet the aftermarket sees MASSIVE gains in torque and power from tuning alone unlike anything we saw previously.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
You would expect vacuum torque to be a significant improvement. I noted the significantly higher vacuum torque in the STI over the WRX which I attributed to the displacement advantage. This car is nearly equivalent to the outgoing STI in displacement with a much improved compression ratio.

As someone previously noted, the torque has been likely limited because of the CVT. I'd bet the aftermarket sees MASSIVE gains in torque and power from tuning alone unlike anything we saw previously.
I'm kind of hoping so. It would be a real feat of engineering to jump displacement that much and get zero back.

I still really wish it was a hatch. I think the particular design choices they made would fit well with a more Crosstrek type body, but it may grow on me I don't hate it or love it.

·
Æternum
15,861 Posts
I'm kind of hoping so. It would be a real feat of engineering to jump displacement that much and get zero back.

I still really wish it was a hatch. I think the particular design choices they made would fit well with a more Crosstrek type body, but it may grow on me I don't hate it or love it.
I thought the last gen should have been a lift back. Still do.

With 271hp on tap (still no small amount of power), I'm starting to think the STI will be no more than ~350hp in standard trim. Throw out hopes of a 400hp factory-tuned STI aside from special edition models IMO....

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
I thought the last gen should have been a lift back. Still do.

With 271hp on tap (still no small amount of power), I'm starting to think the STI will be no more than ~350hp in standard trim. Throw out hopes of a 400hp factory-tuned STI aside from special edition models IMO....
It's hard telling. There is a real possibility they throw caution to the wind now that Toyota is back in the sports car game. I honestly wouldn't have expected more power than what is currently available seeing as they have ridden that line for a while now.

As far as 271hp, yeah it's not lacking in the general automotive world, I think its a sweet spot for the size and class of vehicle. I'm just confused by the displacement increase without a notable power gain. Unless, it is about the daily driver aspect as they are selling 2k a month year over year and wanted to give it a little better out of boost driving dynamic.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,914 Posts
The design is a step back. That rear looks like the Civic from a few years ago. Before they ‘fixed’ it. Larger displacement, but no additional torque or power really. Weird. CVT changes sound interesting. I know we say each new one is uglier than the last, but I really believe it. I think this is quite ugly. What’s with all the plastic cladding? Is this 1998 GM? Meh.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
The design is a step back. That rear looks like the Civic from a few years ago. Before they ‘fixed’ it. Larger displacement, but no additional torque or power really. Weird. CVT changes sound interesting. I know we say each new one is uglier than the last, but I really believe it. I think this is quite ugly. What’s with all the plastic cladding? Is this 1998 GM? Meh.
The CVT is actually interesting. I'm wondering if it's just the same as the last with new shift logic and a cooler or an actual redesign or modified box. The difference between my 2012 legacy and my 2017 Forester is profound and I would expect improvements for the wrx over the same period.

The only thing that gets me, of all of it. The gigantic screen on the dash. I wanted one until I had one and now that I've got it in my Forester and my Jeep I hate them with every ounce of my soul.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
442 Posts
It apparently makes eighteen less torque than every other car that uses the FA24. That seems strange.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
I'm curious if they are still using the tr690. If so I wonder what they changed to want to specify adding an oil cooler

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel like I have been watching ads for this new and improved and hype, Followed by one cancelled reveal after another to hope for a 40K sportscar with plastic trim. Im really disappointed. I've really been looking forward to getting my first subbie. I mean really at this point get the Outback with the same engine and now its a real crossover. :(

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
I feel like I have been watching ads for this new and improved and hype, Followed by one cancelled reveal after another to hope for a 40K sportscar with plastic trim. Im really disappointed. I've really been looking forward to getting my first subbie. I mean really at this point get the Outback with the same engine and now its a real crossover. :(
Yeah, no the outback will not compare.

It's Subaru, not Bentley and they start at like 29k. They are a lot of car for the money.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts