Subaru WRX Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
2018 and up STI’s share Type RA short block with stronger pistons. New cold air intake and revised 3rd gear.
I got $4k off a 2020 STI Limited so good deals are possible. Unlike a Type R Civic $5k mark-up not negotiable.

· Registered
863 Posts
Like other folks I might respectfully suggest you take a closer look at the WRX vs. the STI as it sounds like you are a lot like me . . . i.e. looking for a lower cost, reliable and sporty car. The WRX may not be on the same plain as the STI, but I will say after more than 5 years of ownership and at 98,000+ miles it has been near bullet-proof (other than my er, little incident on the icy road this winter). As others have said though . . . when it comes to both the STI and WRX the reliability factor has a lot to do with the driver as it seems as though there are many folks who buy one of these types of cars and either never maintain them or start throwing modded parts at them willy nilly with no thought as to how this will affect the reliability.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
2018 and up STI’s share Type RA short block with stronger pistons. New cold air intake and revised 3rd gear.
I got $4k off a 2020 STI Limited so good deals are possible. Unlike a Type R Civic $5k mark-up not negotiable.
2019 and up do.

The 2018 RA shortblock was only in the RA, hence the 305hp rating for the 2018.

· Banned
3 Posts
Why are you chasing badges? You NEED an STI or a Type-R? Why not a WRX or Si?
What does it matter if the bloke wants a sti , I see a lot of people who ask for advice on getting more power may it be 400awhp or 800whp don't really get advice a lot of the time instead getting people jumping down their throat and why do they want this and why do they need that .... why does it have to be a sti , there's a lot of rude or jealous people on these forums

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,756 Posts
What does it matter if the bloke wants a sti , I see a lot of people who ask for advice on getting more power may it be 400awhp or 800whp don't really get advice a lot of the time instead getting people jumping down their throat and why do they want this and why do they need that .... why does it have to be a sti , there's a lot of rude or jealous people on these forums
I'm glad you asked Cole.

Because the vast majority of the "I want a 500awhp STI" have no concept of the cost or maintenance required for a vehicle like that. You can generally tell when and how they ask if they have the mindset to deal with it.

A few things are facts that people tend to ignore. Unlike OEM an engine built to hold big power does not last. Period. No matter how "I'm doing it right with stage 50 heads from vape boy mods" its not not a realistic expectation for any engine. They are entirely unaware of the cost associated with this type of thing. This isn't a BMW or VW where a tune alone will add 150whp and a downpipe 200. These built engines tend to last in the 10k-15k mile range tops even using whatever respected engine builders long/shortblocks. That goes for any engine that starts pushing to that 200hp/liter mark. Its the sacrifice you need to make to just support the power. everything is looser, wears more, and is consistently under way more stress than its really capable of dealing with.

There are better platforms for that kind of thing, so we recommend them. Not because we hate you, but because we have been down this road, we read all of your guy's posts and we live this life. We know at the end of the day its better to have the car that fits what you want in a car, than a car that you think does and falls short. If you don't like it, don't stop back by. Either way troll. I doubt you actually own what to claim

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
Stop feeding trolls.

That poser clearly joined with the intention to stir the pot. Let them shitpost elsewhere.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.