ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2016 WRX Premium and I was wondering if I a 2020 WRX unit with apple car play will fit in the 2016?
Will it be plug and Play?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
346 Posts
You're better off buying a cheap Android HU off of Amazon.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
10,511 Posts
What is very very cheap? very very cheap for a chrysler mygig is 750 depending on the model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It should "fit" getting everything to work is an entirely different thing however. There is a thread on here very useful that addresses this i believe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,165 Posts
I'm talking out of my ass here, but Subaru did significantly overhaul the MFD (multifunction display) in 2018. Depending on what functions are available in the HU (backup camera, music details etc.) it may not be compatible with your car's MFD significantly limiting functionality. Again, I have no personal experience with that, but it's something I'd want to flesh out first before spending $200.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm talking out of my ass here, but Subaru did significantly overhaul the MFD (multifunction display) in 2018. Depending on what functions are available in the HU (backup camera, music details etc.) it may not be compatible with your car's MFD significantly limiting functionality. Again, I have no personal experience with that, but it's something I'd want to flesh out first before spending $200.
Thank you, and that Makes sense.
Would be smarter to get a Kenwood with wireless car play!

·
Æternum
15,165 Posts
You will miss out on the OEM look, but that may or may not bother you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You will miss out on the OEM look, but that may or may not bother you.
I can agree with that, but as long as steering wheel controls and back up camera continues to work, I’ll be pretty Happy!

·
Æternum
15,165 Posts
I can agree with that, but as long as steering wheel controls and back up camera continues to work, I’ll be pretty Happy!
Depending on the HU, you may need some special harnesses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Changed mine for a Joying unit and could not be happy with it. Back up camera works perfect, Android Auto, etc etc etc. The stock had Android Auto but sucked at audio if I'm honest.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Changed mine for a Joying unit and could not be happy with it. Back up camera works perfect, Android Auto, etc etc etc. The stock had Android Auto but sucked at audio if I'm honest.

That’s very very Nice, I’ll look into it ASAP!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, i meant HAPPIER. Love the Joying, LOL. Spent over a year trying to enjoy three audio on my car unit i replaced the stock head unit. Wish I'd done that first. World have saved a lot of time and money chasing demons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That’s very very Nice, I’ll look into it ASAP!
Part of what i liked the most is that if you look at it out looks like it belongs there. A double din or a floating screen would look like something was done. This way unless you know, you'd have no clue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Part of what i liked the most is that if you look at it out looks like it belongs there. A double din or a floating screen would look like something was done. This way unless you know, you'd have no clue.

Does your steering wheel control also works?

is it this one:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep that's it. Yes steering wheel controls work perfectly. It's quite literally plug and play. I priced out a Kenwood unit, the 907s, that i really liked and had everything i wanted. But my the time i added to it the dash kit, wiring, interface module etc the Joying was half the price! Figured if i didn't like it i could sell it but I'm happy to say the least.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep that's it. Yes steering wheel controls work perfectly. It's quite literally plug and play. I priced out a Kenwood unit, the 907s, that i really liked and had everything i wanted. But my the time i added to it the dash kit, wiring, interface module etc the Joying was half the price! Figured if i didn't like it i could sell it but I'm happy to say the least.

Oh yeah, install was plug abs play?!?
That easy? If so I’ll order it tonight! LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lo6l, yes for me it was plug and play. They will ask you to send then a picture of your dash to ensure you get the right part. Also mention if you have back up camera, it's part of the initial ordering steps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts