ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2020 Subaru wrx and was wondering when it’s okay to start nodding some, I have my eyes set on a stage 2 kit or stage 1 kit from cobbtunning.com

any advice and help is very welcomed

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
I just bought a 2020 Subaru wrx and was wondering when it’s okay to start nodding some, I have my eyes set on a stage 2 kit or stage 1 kit from cobbtunning.com

any advice and help is very welcomed
They are typically pretty safe, but be aware if you do have an engine failure you are paying upwards of 10k to replace it.

·
Æternum
20,335 Posts
This really depends on the level of personal risk you are willing to take.

For me personally, I waited until my factory warranty had expired. Part of the cost of a new vehicle is to cover premature failure and I chose not to sacrifice that. Luckily I never needed to use the factory warranty.

READ: If you fully appreciate that failures may not be covered by the factory warranty and are more likely to occur when modifying the vehicle, but you still personally feel the reward outweighs the risk -- go for it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip it has been pondering my mind why I’m sorta just sticking to a Cobb tune exhaust and intake and not do the j pipe, just wanna get rid of that turbo lag from the oem tune and make that engine breathe the way it was ment to

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
Thanks for the tip it has been pondering my mind why I’m sorta just sticking to a Cobb tune exhaust and intake and not do the j pipe, just wanna get rid of that turbo lag from the oem tune and make that engine breathe the way it was ment to
That's not exactly what's going on. Especially on the fa20

·
Æternum
20,335 Posts
This is not quite right.

There are modifications that will increase output, certainly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What’s causing the turbo lag in the fa20 I’m new to the motors and all this sensors and electric stuff

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
Throttle mapping, turbo design, the amount of area the turbo has to pressurize, the fact that all turbos lag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good advice above to wait for the warranty to expire. Also, be aware that a catted down pipe might cause problems with the sensors. I have this problem with an ETS exhaust system and a pro tune. Not sure if the Cobb system has the same issue.

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
Good advice above to wait for the warranty to expire. Also, be aware that a catted down pipe might cause problems with the sensors. I have this problem with an ETS exhaust system and a pro tune. Not sure if the Cobb system has the same issue.
What sensors? The rear o2 shouldn't be reading anything as it isn't used on the fa platform for fueling trim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know, i was looking at the easy installs for better performance knowing I might have to uninstall any tune I put on the vechile before I get service at the dealship done

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
Good to know, i was looking at the easy installs for better performance knowing I might have to uninstall any tune I put on the vechile before I get service at the dealship done
There are numerous ways they know the ecu has been tampered with. If you flash it once that ship has sailed, there is no undoing it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have got 4500 miles on my 2020.

For what it is worth, the longer I have it the more inclined I am to leave it alone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What sensors? The rear o2 shouldn't be reading anything as it isn't used on the fa platform for fueling trim
Here's the error code:
The P0137 code is set when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects that the rear O2 sensor signal voltage remains excessively low for an extended period of time.

The check engine light comes and goes for no reason I can tell. I took it to the shop - not the tuner - and the guy said the new down pipe changed the position of the cat, and he suggested it could be tuned to run a little leaner; but I don't have the bucks right now. If you have any ideas, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Rick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts