Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the potentially bad news on the delay of the intended 2020 WRX/STi. (Mods, please move where you wish. thanks).

Motor Authority said:
Subaru could delay next WRX STI in order to add hybrid tech!

Stricter emissions regulations, particularly in Europe, could lead to the end of the WRX STI as we know it.

That’s according to David Dello Stritto, Subaru’s sales and marketing head in Europe.

Speaking with Dutch website AutoRAI, Stritto said the WRX STI’s current format of a 2.5-liter turbocharged flat-4 cannot continue due to emissions and that Subaru is gauging market conditions to determine the best route to take for the successor model.

“Subaru is looking carefully at market developments and makes its future plan with this information in mind,” he said. “CO2 emissions are becoming increasingly important and the current 2.5-liter 4-cylinder boxer engine with turbo can simply not exist in the future.”

Engine downsizing is one possibility but the more likely scenario would be Subaru implementing hybrid technology of some sort. In this way the automaker will be able to maintain or even boost performance while reducing emissions.

Unfortunately, the transition will mean we’ll have to go without a WRX STI in showrooms for a certain period, Stritto warned.

“We do not say a definitely goodbye to the WRX STI, the car belongs to Subaru, but there will be a period where a WRX STI temporarily will not exist,” he said. “There will really be a new WRX STI in the future, but it takes time.”

What isn’t clear is whether Stritto was referring to both the WRX STI and the tamer WRX, or just the former.

We’ll remind you that Subaru used last month’s 2017 Tokyo Motor Show to present a sport sedan concept that very likely previews the next-generation WRX.

Stay tuned for an update.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,591 Posts
The sooner they move away from petrol the better.

·
Æternum
15,546 Posts
This is great news if true.

I have doubts that Subaru would be able to execute effectively in such short time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
Fake news.

Seriously, I have no idea, but isn't this related to the European market? Seems to me what's important is what happens in Japan, the US and Australia, because from what I've read they are the 3 biggest markets. So they could continue to sell in those markets until the hybrid comes on board to satisfy European regulations.

Personally I am very dismayed the US is backing off emissions targets. Not to start a political argument, but we need more smaller engine vehicles and hybrids and fewer gas-guzzling trucks and SUVS, IMO. The future is hybrid and electric. Taking the foot off the pedal as it were for electric is going to put US manufacturers at a HUGE disadvantage in the next decade, as Europe and Japan forge ahead with technology that produces fewer emissions.

Two of the biggest drivers (no pun intended) of electric/hybrid in the next 20 years will be India and China, both of whom have huge smog problems and who see the necessity of a non-gasoline-based approach. I would assume they will have more drivers than the US, Europe and Japan combined.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Is there even proof that there was going to be ground up redesign for the 2020 model year?

I like the idea of a hybrid powerplant.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
i only hope they keep its roof high and tight so i can get my giant ass into it.
If your giant ass will not fit between the roof and seat(?) you have much larger problems ... :p

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
I barely do because of back issues. I'm in the air about how long I can crawl into mine.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Let all of these countries abandon fossil fuels. Just leaves more for the ME to sell to us - and forcibly cheaper, too.

Until they can secure a solid method for quickly "refueling" an electric car, in terms of the 1 to 2 minutes for a full tank of gas, I'll pass.

I'm not opposed to the hybrid at all. I welcome substantiating the availability of "additional" power without sacrificing driveability.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
As battery chemistry changes faster charging options become available.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Many people could plug-in overnight and never even have to go to a fuel station any more; even for long trips where hotels and other establishments begin to offer re-charging stations.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Many people could plug-in overnight and never even have to go to a fuel station any more; even for long trips where hotels and other establishments begin to offer re-charging stations.
That isn't important. The fact that current electric vehicles cover commute necessities for the majority of the population they always have an excuse.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Unless you live in a rural area or want to drive more than 200 consecutive miles on a given day. Batteries have a long way to go before being practical enough for me to consider as the sole source of power in my car. If my batteries die in the middle of the woods or even on an interstate, I'm screwed.

Gas obviously does run out, but can be replaced with relative ease.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Unless you live in a rural area or want to drive more than 200 consecutive miles on a given day. Batteries have a long way to go before being practical enough for me to consider as the sole source of power in my car. If my batteries die in the middle of the woods or even on an interstate, I'm screwed.

Not really. It's easy for you to pump it into your tank. It's a nightmare the rest of the way from environmental concerns to the emissions your car creates. It is the difficult route not the other way around.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not really. It's easy for you to pump it into your tank. It's a nightmare the rest of the way from environmental concerns to the emissions your car creates. It is the difficult route not the other way around.

thats a really good point actually, you could concievable keep a solar cell in your trunk in case your really horribly stranded somewhere, would take forever to charge but your car would work again eventually. good luck manufacturing your own gas.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
No postulation about it. It's impacts on the environment is quite well documented.

It's also worth mentioning out of all people who drive a small percentage need something that goes further than 250 miles a day. I believe the average mileage per week is somewhere in that ballpark considering the average driver racks up 13k ish miles a year

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Well, I do live in a rural area. And notice I used the word "many." This means that I understand electric vehicles as they exist today are not for everyone.

But they are close to gas cars (a tesla will go over 300 miles on a charge if you drive it gently and gas cars get what? 400ish!) and getting better more quickly than many realize. Furthermore, not many (take note here) people drive more than 200 miles non-stop. Yes, the actual stop would take longer than one to pee and fill up with gas, but I do not argue that issue with current battery cars.

And I do not understand the "...replaced with relative ease" statement. Can you please explain that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts