ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to tuning and WRX knowledge what not. I was talking to a few car people and ive gotten mixed responses on whether or not I should tune it to stage 2+, I have just over 3000 miles on the car and from what ive read here many people tune theirs cars but are very careful about how they do that. Im wondering what the ordeal would be if I stage 2 my car and whether I should get use a Cobb tune or go to a tuner. I want this car to be fun but I also want it to be safe as possible regarding the overall life of the car. I'd realy appreciate some help with this as it is a very big step for someone with a small amount of car knowlegde.

Thanks

·
11,231 Posts
Hey guys im new to tuning and WRX knowledge what not. I was talking to a few car people and ive gotten mixed responses on whether or not I should tune it to stage 2+, I have just over 3000 miles on the car and from what ive read here many people tune theirs cars but are very careful about how they do that. Im wondering what the ordeal would be if I stage 2 my car and whether I should get use a Cobb tune or go to a tuner. I want this car to be fun but I also want it to be safe as possible regarding the overall life of the car. I'd realy appreciate some help with this as it is a very big step for someone with a small amount of car knowlegde.

Thanks
Stage 2+ requires an intake, 3" downpipe (j-pipe) with a cat and the tune.

Cobb is generally regarded as a safe bet with some of the brightest Subaru performance segment when it comes to remapping vehicles and knowledge of their systems. You'll get more power however nothing is free.

The cvt transmission will be limited on what mods are available, it's torque handling is low and won't support much more torque than factory spec. This means Cobb, and many tuning outfits won't touch anything besides an intake and tune.

You'll also have to be prepared to pay to play. Anything can happen at any time and the fa20f isn't immune to failures, bearing, piston, or rod. If it fails you've got to be ready to bust open that wallet and empty that college fund for your kids to replace the block. It can cost a small fortune and to see bills in excess of 10k isn't uncommon depending on what failed, what was damaged, and what needs machined. Subaru is notoriously hard-nosed when it comes to modifications and you will be paying. They have several ways these days to determine if the vehicle has been modified.

You'll also have to cope with the vehicle not being able to pass a legitimate inspection anywhere in the country if you opt for the turbo back exhaust. High flow cats are not street legal anywhere and, as unlikely a thing it is to get caught, if you get caught your going to be hurting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, that really helps but would it be better to go with stage 1 and get it tuned on a dyno instead or just leave it stock and still benefit from the warranty?

·
11,231 Posts
thanks, that really helps but would it be better to go with stage 1 and get it tuned on a dyno instead or just leave it stock and still benefit from the warranty?
Personally, warranty trumps horsepower any day of the week. You'll see this often times on forums where the user base is mature, if you want a faster car, buy a faster car. Intakes don't offer a huge leap of performance, but the sound is worth it for some folks.

The cars have a lot of fun to offer in stock form. They are not the fastest thing for the price but they are a blast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts