ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the community and actually don't have a WRX. At least not yet. However I am a Subaru owner (wife's car) of a 2017 Forester. We also had a 2002 Forester before the 2017 that lasted 175k miles. Anyway, I wanted to pick peoples brain on this one. First, I am 51 years of age. I know...I know.....getting a WRX has mid-life crisis written all over it. Maybe, but I am aware of that, and I consider myself an automobile enthusiast, and know how to drive a manual. Learned long ago. My cars to date have been: Datson 210 Hatchback, Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce (Manual), BMW 320i (Manual), VW Jetta (Automatic), VW Jetta (Manual), Acura TLS, Toyota Prius. The reason for the Prius is I used to have an incredibly long commute back when gas was outrageous, but haven't had that since 2015. And given how things in the pandemic have shaken out, my office will likely be at home now and going forward. That trend is here to stay for many. I have hung on to the Prius just because it is easy and boring I might add. I live in the northeast and the Prius is terrible in the winter because it doesn't weigh much, and is uncomfortable on longer trips over 2 hours. However, it is unmatched in gas mileage and reliability. Toyota makes incredibly reliable cars. Cost isn't really a concern for me and I would simply pay cash for a 2020 Series.White if I decided to go down this path and not wait.

My reasons for considering a 2020 WRX are many. First, it is the last year of a car that is somewhat of an icon. Given that, I am a bit worried Subaru is going to screw something up with the new WRX on the horizon. I hear it will ride on the SGP. Maybe that is a good thing, maybe not. I also hear it might be co-designed with Toyota. Not sure I would like that either. Next, we are getting ready to enter an era in cars where the combustion engine will gradually disappear. Electric vehicle have so many advantages (mainly fewer parts and they don't eat gas) over combustion engines it is simply going to happen. However, before the days of driving over-sized golf carts happens, I want a drivers car. Something that isn't boring and can be cared for and will likely become a classic one day. I also don't want any of the technology like adaptive cruise control, collision sensors and braking, lane control, rear camera alerts, etc. All that just takes away from the desire to actually drive and control the car. I am afraid the next WRX will have all this stuff and more. When I am ready for a Tesla or comparable car, I will get one. But not yet. Finally, I like the idea of a car I can tinker with. A car that has a certain "behavior" about it, but in the end is fun to drive. I have read all the nuances about the car (sloppy gears, crap stereo, rattles, Cobb Tuning benefits, outdated interior, etc.). Most of those can all be fixed and dealt with if they are a problem. I understand they are also part of owing a WRX.

Anyway, I have rambled long enough here, but the bottom line question is wait for the next WRX to come out and take a chance that it might ruin the type of car WRX has been for many years, or buy a Series.White, a special edition in the last year of an iconic car. I am not worried about depreciation because whatever I get I will keep it for a long time unless it breaks. I am somewhat worried about long trips in the WRX given the ride stiffness, but not overly so.

Side note: I also considered a Golf R, not the GTI (I would never get a GTI). But something about being 51 and driving a "hot hatch" doesn't quite sit well. Plus the next Golf R will not come in manual transmission in the United States. I do like the VW warranty though, but I suspect there is a reason for that and I also don't like the corporate trickery that went down with the whole clean diesel thing. Shame on them for that. Anyway, thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
I don't think it matters and as far as I've seen there is no guarantee that next model year will be a new generation. I've heard it every year for the last 3 years.

Buy what you like. The core of what the wrx was died before it came to the US as it was no longer a homologation vehicle. They are still what they are, a compact reasonably quick vehicle that is fun to drive. I don't see anything dramatic coming even if the new generation is next year. If anything changes it'll be the sti engine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Oh to be so young (51). Cars are either utilitarian or points of passion or maybe both. I have, to the detriment of my retirement, bought cars that excited me. That has changed a few times over the decades. Anyway, buy what will give you the most joy. I would love to hear about the Alfa. Beautiful car.

Reactions: Deslok

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep cars for a long time, and would plan on keeping a Series.White WRX for a long time assuming it lasts. I don't drive much so unless it turned out to be a lemon, I don't see why it wouldn't last. I would take car of it. Probably have Ceramic Pro Platinum or something put on it to protect the paint.

The Alfa Romeo Spider was a super fun car. I was in my twenties when I owned it and living in the south, not New England like I am now. It was British racing green with dual Weber carburetors. The gear shift position in Spiders back then was cool. Diagonal below where the radio is. It always slightly leaked oil (Classic trait of Alfa Spiders), but the engine was solid. The electronics, however, where diabolical. I would turn the right turn signal on and the left would come on. The headlights would simply go out sometimes while driving at night. Carrying extra fuses around was mandatory with that car. It wasn't that fast, but it was an Italian sports car. And beautiful. Great to drive around the beaches of North Carolina in the summer with the top down of course. Eventually sold it and got the 320i which was a completely different car.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Top Gear group say that every car enthusiast should own an Alfa. In all of my adventures, I never have. I thought the engine bay was beautiful.

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
The Top Gear group say that every car enthusiast should own an Alfa. In all of my adventures, I never have. I thought the engine bay was beautiful.
Probably want to own 2 so when the first one is in the shop your not hoofing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to takeaway from original post and question about Series.White, but this looks like my Alfa back in the day. Second image is gear shift under the radio. Super fun to drive, no doubt quite unsafe by today’s standards though.

F6941D61-4603-489B-970A-D51B84E9C833.jpeg

1A41F418-82BD-4FFC-A91A-E9503E6CF817.jpeg

·
Registered
301 Posts
Probably want to own 2 so when the first one is in the shop your not hoofing it.

With a Lotus, TR-6 and TR-8 in my past cars, I am familiar with that scenario. I owned a 1969 Bug through most of these cars. Went well in the Missouri winters. Carried an ice scraper to keep the windshield free of ice (the heater was there, sort of).

OP, love that interior. Just a beautiful color on that car, too.

·
2,575 Posts
Having owned a VW Bug, FIAT 124, and my MGA, all have been more reliable than my first car, a Ford. Of course it was already 40 years old when I bought it in 1969. ;)

I too have had the honor of being the inside windscreen scraper on my Dad's 57 Beetle as he drove a car full of us to Boy Scouts meetings in the winter. Too much moisture in a too small volume.

@Deslok Your Alfa's cockpit is thoroughly modern in comparison to my '58 MGA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! That is certainly old school. Love the red instrument panel with pull out levers for various features.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any thoughts on a Series.White WRX. Worth it? Not worth it? Wait? Go Golf R? Go electric? Actually the last point (go electric) I will not do. Prices for electric cars will come way down once battery technology advances more. It is somewhat like LCD and plasma TVs when that technology first appeared. I remember my Brother bought a plasma TV for something like $4,000. I got one 3-4 years later for about $500. The price decrease won't be as drastic as the TV example, but they will come down so I view buying an EV right now as paying a premium.

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
Realistically, electric is the way to go. Cost isn't as big of a factor when you calculate the cost of ownership. Where my cost to fuel my wrx was about 30-40 a week, the cost of fueling an electric is maybe that a month. Their one drawback is the road trip.

If you like the white wrx and it really grabs you when you test drive it go for it. We could argue back and forth about brands, benefits and drawbacks of each but at the end of the day it's what excites you.

Personally, I'd prefer the lsd, dccd, and 6speed in the sti as well as the ej (because familiarity) the wrx is a good solid vehicle with superior fuel economy and an entirely new generation of power train that is far more advanced and in some ways easier to care for

·
Banned
40 Posts
I am new to the community and actually don't have a WRX. At least not yet. However I am a Subaru owner (wife's car) of a 2017 Forester. We also had a 2002 Forester before the 2017 that lasted 175k miles. Anyway, I wanted to pick peoples brain on this one. First, I am 51 years of age. I know...I know.....getting a WRX has mid-life crisis written all over it. Maybe, but I am aware of that, and I consider myself an automobile enthusiast, and know how to drive a manual. Learned long ago. My cars to date have been: Datson 210 Hatchback, Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce (Manual), BMW 320i (Manual), VW Jetta (Automatic), VW Jetta (Manual), Acura TLS, Toyota Prius. The reason for the Prius is I used to have an incredibly long commute back when gas was outrageous, but haven't had that since 2015. And given how things in the pandemic have shaken out, my office will likely be at home now and going forward. That trend is here to stay for many. I have hung on to the Prius just because it is easy and boring I might add. I live in the northeast and the Prius is terrible in the winter because it doesn't weigh much, and is uncomfortable on longer trips over 2 hours. However, it is unmatched in gas mileage and reliability. Toyota makes incredibly reliable cars. Cost isn't really a concern for me and I would simply pay cash for a 2020 Series.White if I decided to go down this path and not wait.

My reasons for considering a 2020 WRX are many. First, it is the last year of a car that is somewhat of an icon. Given that, I am a bit worried Subaru is going to screw something up with the new WRX on the horizon. I hear it will ride on the SGP. Maybe that is a good thing, maybe not. I also hear it might be co-designed with Toyota. Not sure I would like that either. Next, we are getting ready to enter an era in cars where the combustion engine will gradually disappear. Electric vehicle have so many advantages (mainly fewer parts and they don't eat gas) over combustion engines it is simply going to happen. However, before the days of driving over-sized golf carts happens, I want a drivers car. Something that isn't boring and can be cared for and will likely become a classic one day. I also don't want any of the technology like adaptive cruise control, collision sensors and braking, lane control, rear camera alerts, etc. All that just takes away from the desire to actually drive and control the car. I am afraid the next WRX will have all this stuff and more. When I am ready for a Tesla or comparable car, I will get one. But not yet. Finally, I like the idea of a car I can tinker with. A car that has a certain "behavior" about it, but in the end is fun to drive. I have read all the nuances about the car (sloppy gears, crap stereo, rattles, Cobb Tuning benefits, outdated interior, etc.). Most of those can all be fixed and dealt with if they are a problem. I understand they are also part of owing a WRX.

Anyway, I have rambled long enough here, but the bottom line question is wait for the next WRX to come out and take a chance that it might ruin the type of car WRX has been for many years, or buy a Series.White, a special edition in the last year of an iconic car. I am not worried about depreciation because whatever I get I will keep it for a long time unless it breaks. I am somewhat worried about long trips in the WRX given the ride stiffness, but not overly so.

Side note: I also considered a Golf R, not the GTI (I would never get a GTI). But something about being 51 and driving a "hot hatch" doesn't quite sit well. Plus the next Golf R will not come in manual transmission in the United States. I do like the VW warranty though, but I suspect there is a reason for that and I also don't like the corporate trickery that went down with the whole clean diesel thing. Shame on them for that. Anyway, thoughts would be appreciated.
Hey Brother! I’m in the same boat as you. Pick up my 2020 WRX tomorrow! Totally excited and NOT having a mid life crisis. I’m buying the car I want! I don’t think the VW is a better car... I looked at them also and it couldn’t steer me away from the WRX. I don’t think the STI is worth the extra money either. I got the WRX with a performance package. Brembo brakes, 6 speed transmission, which is the better trans next to the five speed. Enjoy your “mid life crisis” 😂. My in-laws just bought a legacy and they asked me the same question. I just said I plan on living forever.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'll offer up a couple of questions for the OP: When you walk away from the car, will you look back and think, WOW what a car? Every time when you get in and push the START button, does your heart race a bit? Will you go out to the garage just to look at the car?

Yes, I do. I am not alone.

New electric lift and custom accordion stairs going into the garage / attic today. More toys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good questions Camaromjr. I am not sure. I think having a car to tote my family around (3 of us) when needed that can somewhat mask as a sports car and be 6 speed manual will help. Also the Series.White being somewhat unique will help, though Subaru has put out many "special editions". I can say for certain a Tesla Model 3 would not give me that sense. The Golf R likely would not given that I don't like the look as much and it will be an automatic. It would be faster, but a WRX would be fast enough for me. Also the VW brand is somewhat tainted for me now so that would distract. I really like the Subaru brand which will help. I guess a WRX would be as close to a yes to your questions as I will get based on process of elimination and given the limited number of cars that fit what I am looking for. If I could get a two-seater that would open things up a bit more, but I am not looking for a two seater.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,128 Posts
That Spider is a late model. I liked the tail best on those because the lamps didn't look as segmented but I liked the earlier nose. I don't know if the USA Spiders all had the really weird reverse-rake look mandated by idiot DOT stuff throughout their US run or not. Through no fault of Alfa's the interior top vents always reminded me of the ones from the Fiat 128 (although the latter were cross hatched). Nice cars, they built character.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts