ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2019 premium w/o Nav or HK audio. It has the 7" touch screen and I actually find the audio slightly better than expected but still considerably worse than desired.

I would like to plan some incremental upgrades over the next year and have done a little digging in the forums without too much success specific to 2019 audio. With the exception of some of the HU flaws like skipping, I really like the look and functionality and plan to retain the stock HU. My scope would be to upgrade the 4 door speakers, the dash tweeters (really just small speakers I guess) and add a subtle amp like the Alpine 445u.

My questions are:

1) I know there are many similarities between the 2019 and any 2015+; the main difference I am aware of is the HU. When looking at other posts about sound upgrades, besides the HU, what else is different that I need to be aware won't apply to my 2019 w/ the 7" touchscreen? Is tearing the 2019 apart to install the Alpine 445u considerably different than prior models?

2) For ease of installation I was thinking of doing the Kicker "tweeters" in the near term, adding the Alpine 445u next and then finishing with the Kicker door speakers. As far as I can tell, the Kicker tweeters do not have a crossover built in like the factory tweeters. Is this correct and does it change how the 6 speakers blend together? Has anyone added the 445u to the 2019 base speaker system with success?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Æternum
19,738 Posts
As I understand, this is a very worthwhile upgrade on the audio front:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info zax. I read on multiple threads that the OEm Audio solution was great. Unfortunately it doesn’t let me do things incrementally and it costs 3X my budget.

I know there must be some wise audio folks that have upgraded their 2019 with similar options to those I posted originally. Still hoping to get some first hand experience.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I did the kicker speakers and tweeter upgrade. This really kicked up the notch for me when I wasn’t looking to break my bank. For a while I ran this setup with a JL mono amp that had speaker inputs to do a line out for a 12” JL W3 subwoofer. Then over time I insulated the doors, and trunk (inc behind the rear seats). Once I got the cash I splurged on a Kenwood Excelon Navi headunit and a 5 channel JL amp and then wired it all up. Sounds great!

So IMO - grab the Kicker speaker upgrades (plug n play) H631SFJ001
Get the tweeters too, H631SFJ101

and go from there.

***make sure they fit the 2019 WRX, I have the easier 2015 (for audio installs)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for sharing your experience cwo. When you started with the kickers, did you have an amp for those speakers as well, or just for the sub?

Also wondering if anyone with a 2019 can chime in and advise if everything from 2015 up is true on the 2019 as far as audio is concerned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check out blacksheepaudio if your near Denver Colorado, they are open or opening soon and only do Subies & Toyota’s. They do cheaper/not as custom installs than their more well know shop Elevated Audio (rated top 12 shops in America)
As far as difference in model years, I’ve helped 2 people with audio questions/builds and no one has mentioned different audio setups besides the HU is slightly better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience cwo. When you started with the kickers, did you have an amp for those speakers as well, or just for the sub?

Also wondering if anyone with a 2019 can chime in and advise if everything from 2015 up is true on the 2019 as far as audio is concerned.
I am in the same boat as you only a base 2019 STI I ordered a bunch of stuff and will be pulling the stock head unit to check the harnesses and all that. I am installing the full kicker upgrade with powerpack as well as under seat sub. There are a bunch of plug and play harness options out there but cant find info on 2019 stock pinout. So I'm pulling it to see what I have. I'll post the results tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had installed a small Soundstream 4 channel amp (45x4 @ 4ohm) to my stock head unit a few months after I installed the Kickers. I wouldn’t advise this as it was a pita, but the amp was a freebie from my father and I had some time to kill. Plus I had planned on going with a 5 channel so routing the wires to the amp set me up later on.

I won’t lie, the kicker upgrade with the stock headunit sufficed until I got the cash and parts to build the perfect system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts