ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I daily drive my stock wrx. It has always avg. around 27 unless I drive all hwy and I will maybe get 30. Last night coming home on fumes I couldn't help but notice we avg. 36mpg on the vehicle ignition mpg... How is that even possible? I didn't think these cars were capable of that. At the same time the total mpg went from 27.6 to 25. Not exactly sure how one could increase by so much but yet the trip meter mpg decrease. Course I could be reading to much into it and just need to turn the mpg off. That's just how it was setup when I bought it.

·
11,233 Posts
I don't even bother with onboard mpg gauges. There are people seeing low to mid 30s on some of the wrx vehicles.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,214 Posts
Such gauges are useful as a reflection of driving habits though even if they cannot be accurate. They’re great as trend indicators.

·
11,233 Posts
Such gauges are useful as a reflection of driving habits though even if they cannot be accurate. They’re great as trend indicators.
If the newer generation wrx has the same mpg and economy displays as my 17 Forester they are awesome. Lifetime mpg, current, trend for the trip, trend against trip average.

I like to get in the Forester and see how bad I can tank my gfs economy numbers in just one trip.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,214 Posts
Nice! Perhaps not entirely aligned with what the maker had in mind, but a creative use of available technology nonetheless.

·
11,233 Posts
I have to make the most of it. My jeep gets 13ish. 17 if I'm on a flat highway with the doors, top, and spare off but I'm 500lbs lighter.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
The pump method for calculating consumption is the only accurate method.

It's the reason that Fuelly.com urges you to use this method for MPG calculation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On board mileage computers lie. I like to calculate my mileage manually when I fill my tank and it's always 2-3 mpg less than the computer reported.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On board mileage computers lie. I like to calculate my mileage manually when I fill my tank and it's always 2-3 mpg less than the computer reported.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
To say that "they lie" is to misrepresent.

Onboard computers have limitations in the way they calculate instantaneous fuel flow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To say that "they lie" is to misrepresent.

Onboard computers have limitations in the way they calculate instantaneous fuel flow.
I'm not talking about "instant" fuel consumption, I'm referring to per tank mileage. Every vehicle I have ever owned that calculated fuel mileage has inflated the number, every single one. If it was merely a "limitation" of the computer, as you say, some would under-estimate the mileage. They would not all err in the same direction. At least Subaru's calculation is closer than most, only being off by a couple mpg. I've had vehicles that were consistently over by as much as 5 mpg (I'm looking at you GM). Of course I have no proof, but I definitely think it's intentional, to make the vehicle seem more efficient than it actually is.

·
11,233 Posts
My truck underestimated by about 2mpg. As would my wrx. It depends on driving habits

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, my experience has demonstrated otherwise. As I said, I've witnessed the same result with each of my vehicles of varying brands, irrespective of driving my habits. Of course, other's experiences may be different than mine.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
I'm not talking about "instant" fuel consumption, I'm referring to per tank mileage
How do you think the "per tank" mileage is calculated?

Duh, by instantaneous fuel flow.

Of course I have no proof, but I definitely think it's intentional, to make the vehicle seem more efficient than it actually is.
Spare me your conspiracy theories.

·
11,233 Posts
When the epa figures are calculated they are done in a specific way, you can likely look up the iso standard for how the tests are performed. They are not just guessing. There would actually be some serious repercussions for wanking it for marketing. Ala the diesel emissions fiasco.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts