Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first time posting on the Club WRX forums, so please forgive me if this post is not in the right place. For the past 1,000 miles or so, my 2019 WRX 6mt has been making a fairly audible, metallic ringing/chirping sound with low throttle inputs at low RPM. The sound is most noticeable when starting from a dead stop in first gear, say at around 1,200-1,500 RPM. Additionally, the sound does not seem to occur at idle, but is very noticeable if I rev the engine slightly in neutral. I have linked a video of this below; the sound occurs as I raise the engine RPMs slightly, and again as the RPMs fall, and settle back into the regular idle. Also, the position of the clutch does not seem to matter; the sound will occur revving the engine in neutral with the clutch depressed or released.

The noise is most audible from outside the car at about 15 seconds in

Once the car is moving at speed (say, 25 mph in second gear), the sound seems to become a constant, yet subtle background chirp; the first time I noticed it, for instance I thought it was the crickets outside. The sound occurs every single time I start off in first gear, regardless of environmental/engine temperature. Additionally, the sound does seem more pronounced with the A/C running, or when starting on an incline. Ultimately, it's most bothersome when putting around a parking lot, when the chirp will "bounce" off of parked cars and walls, making it very noticeable.

Some additional information:
The car is 100% stock, with about 6,600 miles. The car was broken in according to the owner's manual, and the oil has been changed at the dealer at 1,000, 3,000, and 6,000 miles. I did bring the sound to the dealer's attention at my last oil change, where I was told that I was hearing the flywheel, and that all WRXs make this noise. I have posted about this issue on the r/wrx subreddit, however, and it seems that nobody was able to confirm nor deny this claim. I have not noticed any changes in the drivability/performance of the car.

Ultimately, any help would be appreciated. If anybody else's car makes this noise, or if anyone is able to identify what may be causing the sound, I would be extremely grateful, as it has been driving me crazy for the last 1,000 miles!

·
Registered
1 Posts
chirping is common in most wrx of all years as the dealership told you. My 2016 does several chirps actually. I get the morning TOB chirp when clutch is depressed. Then I get a chirp on idle till the oil is warmed up. Sometimes I get a chirp after revving, more rev more chirp. All these sound a bit different and I try to ignore them and enjoy the ride.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts