Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna start tracking my 2018 STi..

Looking for recommends on track wheels/tires

I dont wanna spend crazy $$$, but Im not trying to be cheap.. looking for some suggestions of good price/performance options for an intermediate/advanced driver for a good overall dedicated track wheel/tire setup.

Wheel size 19s? 18s? Tire recommends..

Thanks much.. Have a track day this sunday... and ive done an autocross on my stock tires and they were crap.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
How often are you going to be doing track events? General rule, the better the consumables are for track use (e.g., pads, tires, etc.), the worse they are for DD use. Ideally, you have dedicated consumables for track events.

If you're looking to balance the same tires for DD and track duty, you want the highest quality summer tire to stand up to the driving conditions you'd see on the track.

TireRack tests summer tires:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=226
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=219

There are two recent tests they performed.

Not sure exactly what "I dont wanna spend crazy $$$, but Im not trying to be cheap.." means. My winter tires cost ~$1000/set for each vehicle, and I don't bat an eye.

If the "Extreme Performance" tire isn't enough, you can step up to the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (which are OE on some higher-end vehicles). This would probably put you in the $1000-1100 range in tires alone.

If you're trying to do things on a budget, I'd probably say Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the best option you can buy at the moment.

As for wheels, you want lightweight. OZ has some models that are pretty good (I personally run Alleggerita HLTs) on my summer setup. Enkei RPF1s are also pretty popular. I believe my OZ/MPSS combo was ~$1800 at the time I bought them, but I was retiring the Subaru to weekend fun runs at the time (no track days, no Auto-X).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry ok.. i guess crazy $$$ is relative.. I dont wanna spend $5 grand or more.. $3k is fine.. maybe a little more if it makes sense.. but less if we're talking tenths of seconds..

1) I would like dedicated track rim/tire set...

2) $2000-$3000 for rims/tires is in my budget.. I could do more if I felt like it made sense.. but Im not racing and trying to knock a second or tenths off my time.. I would guess Im fine with some stock rims.. and some good dedicated track tires that will stick..

Thanks..

Joe

How often are you going to be doing track events? General rule, the better the consumables are for track use (e.g., pads, tires, etc.), the worse they are for DD use. Ideally, you have dedicated consumables for track events.

If you're looking to balance the same tires for DD and track duty, you want the highest quality summer tire to stand up to the driving conditions you'd see on the track.

TireRack tests summer tires:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=226
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=219

There are two recent tests they performed.

Not sure exactly what "I dont wanna spend crazy $$$, but Im not trying to be cheap.." means. My winter tires cost ~$1000/set for each vehicle, and I don't bat an eye.

If the "Extreme Performance" tire isn't enough, you can step up to the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (which are OE on some higher-end vehicles). This would probably put you in the $1000-1100 range in tires alone.

If you're trying to do things on a budget, I'd probably say Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the best option you can buy at the moment.

As for wheels, you want lightweight. OZ has some models that are pretty good (I personally run Alleggerita HLTs) on my summer setup. Enkei RPF1s are also pretty popular. I believe my OZ/MPSS combo was ~$1800 at the time I bought them, but I was retiring the Subaru to weekend fun runs at the time (no track days, no Auto-X).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and lastly.. do I want to try to stay with 19s? or would I be just as good going back to 18s?

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
jfk259 said:
and lastly.. do I want to try to stay with 19s? or would I be just as good going back to 18s?
18" wheels will be lighter than 19" wheels
18" tires will be lighter than 19" tires
18" wheels/tires will be cheaper than 19" ones

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
18" wheels will be lighter than 19" wheels
18" tires will be lighter than 19" tires
18" wheels/tires will be cheaper than 19" ones
So you're saying that 19s is only a cosmetic choice? and 18 are better for performance?

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
I don't think you'll see a massive change going between either all else being similar (width and overall diameter).

The 19 may give you a slightly more direct feel as there is less sidewall to flex and move.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts