Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I currently own a 2012 WRX Premium Sedan and i'm actually looking to buy the new Sti. However talks of this upcoming new improved 2018+ model is keeping me from buying one. are we going to see a big changes externally? flared fenders? different front end? or just minor comestics?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
I've heard none of these rumors, what are you hearing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Why the hell do people keep saying flared fenders? Are they unaware that the fenders on the existing WRX/STI are already flared?

I initially predicted 2018 as the big changeover year for the STi, but seeing the FHI forecasts, I'm not so sure. Even if it was initially planned, FHI's focus on people movers probably pushed this back a few years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
Those are pre 2015 model if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well they likely are but at least with mustangs the concept ended up as a goal toward the end of the cycle..

I would be happy to see the car change to look more like this.. or add a hatch.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
I would say neither are likely. We are more likely to see a hybrid sport than a hatch.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
I'd just wait and see. Predictions are inaccurate.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sigh.. I hope not. Honestly I only once owned two cars in a row from the same manufacturer: Volvo, C30, that had no style change at all.. i only did that because the first one was pretty reliable. The second C30 was in the shop far too much. Without major changes I'm likely moving on to a new brand and car in 4.5 years.

What I want to see:

1. Hatch model.
2. Auto option for STI (don't kill me.. sorry).
3. Some more HP on both STI and base
4. All Season tires

Lean/Continuous Improvement was pretty much invented in Japan.

A sluggish Hybrid Sport is not an improvment.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
All season tires would be a massive mistep

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
A sluggish hybrid sport.. tell that to Porsche

·
Registered
138 Posts
The WRX hybrid Sport will be no Porsche.. likely less HP then the non-hybrid...

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
The WRX hybrid Sport will be no Porsche.. likely less HP then the non-hybrid...
WRX hybrid possibly, sti hybrid likely not. Either way the torque delivery on an electric motor is superior to any Otto cycle engine I'm aware of, it will always have that stuck to the seat feel, and instantaneous surge regardless of the speed you are going.

I would much rather sacrifice a few hp and gain a performance hybrid powerplant than maintain the current path of development.

·
Registered
556 Posts
. . .

I recognize these are some things that you think would be good in the next reiteration and are not necessary your predictions of what will happen . . .

1. Hatch model. Good possibility . . . especially with Ford and VW doing well with their hatches. Subaru may want a slice of that pie.
2. Auto option for STI (don't kill me.. sorry). Possibly . . . probably depends a lot on the engine they drop into the STI.
3. Some more HP on both STI and base. Very strong possibility . . . even if it is just a slight bump just so they can say they increased the HP . . . or bump it up some to get close to, match or exceed some of the competition.
4. All Season tires. Highly unlikely . . . as much as I appreciate buying just one set of tires for a car for general use (i.e. my wife's Legacy -- although I do have a set of winter tires from her old Legacy that I should get mounted on to new rims someday so they will fit her '15 Legacy) . . . putting all seasons on the WRX or STI would severely neuter this car out of the box and would be a step backwards.

. . .
My prediction for the future WRX/STI . . . many of us here and elsewhere will post what we would like to see, what we may have seen in print or on the web in various places and predict what the future car will be like . . . but in the end we'll just have to wait until Subaru makes the big, official reveal to really know.

·
Registered
138 Posts
WRX hybrid possibly, sti hybrid likely not. Either way the torque delivery on an electric motor is superior to any Otto cycle engine I'm aware of, it will always have that stuck to the seat feel, and instantaneous surge regardless of the speed you are going.

I would much rather sacrifice a few hp and gain a performance hybrid powerplant than maintain the current path of development.

Some very good points. Got me to thinking though.. and... sorry but:

Here is a logic based prediction: 20 to 30 years from now all cars will be electric battery cell powered. They will pretty much be bland unfun...transportation. Some will have solar power generating cells (to recharge battery system) built in to the skins of the car body. They will likely all be automated and self-driving to some extent. All limited to big brother set speeds.

Hobbyist Motorsports and such will be the pastime of the ultra rich since you will need special tracks to play and your daily driver will not even remotely be an option. There will be little chance to speed since all cars will be forced to maintain speed limits. No fast starts or fast merge on to highways, no fun driving on twisty roads and such.

The good: Car accidents and deaths will go down in frequency.

The Bad:

- Cars will still cost a bundle
- You will simply be buying an interior, something to sit in and enjoy music or reading while your computer, self-driving, auto takes you to work or the super market/mall.
- Motersports for the hobbyist? Completely gone except for a few people with billions.

I suspect it will be for the best. However I suggest we are not all fooled by the eletric battery powered stuff.. its coupled with self driving technology designed to control transportation. The best benefit is less deaths and injuries but the worst outcome could and very well will be the elimination of being able to move freely on the highways.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
Do you understand that electric power plants can handily spank internal combustion engines in all aspects of driving? They said the same thing about cars today with their auto pilot and fancy braking and auto parking.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do you understand that electric power plants can handily spank internal combustion engines in all aspects of driving? They said the same thing about cars today with their auto pilot and fancy braking and auto parking.

Oh I certainly do. I love reading about and watching Tesla car reviews! However, that said, I also see what trends technology is making possible and currently the trend is cars that will drive themselves (eventually be electric) and the government is eager to slap on some limitations and controls. Some of these will save lives and I am all for that. However at the same time they will be diminishing our freedoms.

Imagine having half the choices you have now in a car, costing you 30% more, and you can't drive it yourself.

Another point I am making is that: We are some years away from affordable (under 45k) electric power plant cars that can out perform "conventional". The market will not let that happen until world governments wishes it to happen. Prediction: 1.5 to 2 decades.

My prediction is that power to the wheels and pavement will be meaningless when the government has ensured your car will be in control and not you. Want to open it up? You will need to buy a second car that needs to be taken to the track. Lots of people do this already.

I hope I am wrong.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
As long as Tesla keeps growing affordable electric cars on that level are within 5 or so years.

They have the technology to do all those things now, electric vehicle has nothing to do with it. They don't have it because people don't want it.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
Imagine having half the choices you have now in a car, costing you 30% more, and you can't drive it yourself.
Count me in. I look forward to the day when I no longer need to drive to work, the market, etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
LOL.... ok.

Hopefully it won't be the future I think it will be. I would be trilled to be able to go fishing, work on my garden, and happily let my future car do all the driving.

However... Things never tend to work out as we hope. Such a future world likely would mean assigned housing, everyone wearing the same uniform.. you get the picture.

This conversation made me do some internet research and Look at GMs Bolt.. 200HP.. 238 miles o one charge. 45k well equipped?

A step in the right direction.. maybe i am wrong in some of my predictions. About to read a Moter Trend article on it.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.