Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am going to look at a 2018 WRX Premium and a 2018 WRX STI Base (both CWP) this Friday. Trading my 2015 Legacy 2.5i Premium in for it and a big down payment. I've been researching the hell out of all the pro's and con's of each car. Right now, I am on the edge between the two. For me the main thing it comes down to is that I really hate going to the gas station a lot and spending a lot of money on gas, and I also drive a ton and drive long distances. I understand you're sacrificing mileage for what the STI offers, but I want to ask you guys who have a 2015+ STI what your average city/highway mileage is in your STI and if you have any performance mods or anything on it. Not to mention the STI has less range because of the lower mpg's.

I've been reading a lot that the WRX has decent mileage in the FA20DIT, something like 30+ highway and mid 20's in the city if you're not hammering it. Then the STI gets maybe 23-25 highway and 16-19 city. Are these numbers relatively accurate? I most likely will get the WRX, but I still need to test drive them both. I really do not want to buy the WRX and end up with lower gas mileage than I think, and then have that 'what if' thought about the STI.

Also, is the insurance of the STI that much more than the WRX? I've been getting quotes and its like 10-20 bucks more than the WRX which is no big deal, just wondering if anyone has some numbers to throw around.

I am trying to make sure I have no regrets with my purchase, first time buying something so expensive! Though it will be my 3rd Subaru!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well it sounds like you are basing your decision a lot on gas mileage and cost. if that is the concern then the Wrx would be the better option as it gets better mpg's, costs less, and insurance is slightly less. Those gas mpgs sound pretty accurate assuming you don't have a lead foot. All and all you need to weigh what the Sti has that the wrx does not and if those are things you "need"or really want then the sti is the way to go. I made the decision years ago to choose the Sti over wrx and haven't looked back at anytime but that's me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
my '16 WRX was $25 less per month for insurance than my '18 Sti. i'm 46 years old clean record. Gas mileage all depends on how you drive it. I'm averaging 20 with a mix of lead foot and nice grandpa navigation. It's down from the WRX, i find that i baby it more than the wrx because of this.

·
Æternum
15,551 Posts
Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG

Averages are roughly 23.5mpg (WRX) and 19.5mpg (STI). The newer motor with lighter (and weaker) driveline and less aggressive gearing mean the WRX is more miserly on fuel.

Insurance should not be much different.

Really you need to drive both and choose which you prefer -- they feel like different cars.

·
Æternum
15,551 Posts
∆∆∆
WRX is capable of mid 30s mpg average but depends on how you drive it.
I have not heard of "anyone" getting above mid 20s average in an STI.
I prefer to use actual data as per my previous post. There's no point in further discussion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
honestly 23.5 seems about right for the wrx, real city driving is definitely low 20s. unless you can cruise above 40 mph and get into 5th, i think the sti and wrx are actually a lot closer than i would have ever imagined going into this. yea the wrx can get over 30 highway but ive also seen some people claiming 28 highway in their sti's.

as far as insurance goes i like to use https://www.nerdwallet.com/insurance/compare-car-insurance-rates just to get a very basic idea of what things will cost, i called multiple companies for quotes multiple times for a few different cars last year and it was always within the ballpark.

good luck man, im sure you will be happy, go with your gut and trust your instincts.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
IMO if MPGs is any sort of a concern, WRX/STi isn't the right car.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Over 33,000 miles and 117 fuelups, Ive averaged a real world 27.1 mpg with my 17 WRX. Warmer temps Id see 28-30 and below 40 deg Id be at 24-26 on Ave. About 2/3 of that was with a MAP Stage 1 OTS tune and a Cobb CBE.

I drive fairly fast and its a mix of highway and hilly backroads. I could do better if I tried but I dont yet I still beat most people's average in Fuelly. That is probably because I have a good bit more highway miles than most.

Based off Fuelly you are looking at about 3-4 mpg difference maybe? Thats 30-40 ish miles on average so 1.5 gallons, $5 per fillup. Only you can determine if thats worth it or not. Personally, after test driving 3 STi at different times, it is. YMMV

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got 7,700 miles on my 18' WRX. I average 23.1 MPG (combined highway/city). I travel about 30 miles per day to commute to/from work, and spend $50 a week on gas. (California - $3.50/gallon).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"ambassador coupon " ????

congrats!
Subaru enthusiasts (I honestly don't know how people get to become 'Ambassadors' for Subaru) get ambassador coupons (5 each) that they give to family and friends for $500 off a new Subaru. A friend of mine had one and let me use it!

Congrats!
Thanks! It was a really smooth transaction, I haggled over email and traded in my Legacy, paid in full and walked out with my new WRX. I'm a noob at manual, so this is a learning experience but I am getting smoother as the miles go on!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts