Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2018 WRX base.
So far I have gone with a
Cobb catback
Cobb AP
Along with a OTS Maperformance stage 1 91 tune

I feel a drastic change is power as well as a fix to all the wrx problems such as rev hang

I want to move on to more power. Wanted some advice on the subject.

I was thinking on just throwing on a catless J pipe, secondary res pill delete, possibly a CAI and getting a OTS stage 2 tune.

Is there anything that would be recommended to be done first or instead of going that route.

Budget isn?t that large maybe 2k or under.

Just wanted advice on that

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,723 Posts
Since any hope of warranty work is out of the question already. Turbo back, egr and tgv deletes, and a Dyno tune.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,723 Posts
So far from the truth.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
The odds of getting warranty work on an engine failure after tuning the car is slim to none. Once in a blue moon someone will sneak through by some grace, but it's not common. SOA will require the vehicle be checked for previous changes to the ECU before accepting the claim. The dealer has little to no input.

·
Æternum
16,078 Posts
So far from the truth.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sadly, it's not.

SOA has every right (and will) deny any engine warranty claim at this point.

At this point it all depends on if or not you have a personal relationship with your dealership. Even that is sometimes out of their control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
as a fellow 2018 base wrx owner i must ask if the power band is any better with the tune as well? all that talk about how weird the car feels in the top end is absolutely true. you said the rev hang is fixed and that is great news, as im starting to get used to driving stick again and as such i notice the problems a lot more than when i first got the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
as a fellow 2018 base wrx owner i must ask if the power band is any better with the tune as well? all that talk about how weird the car feels in the top end is absolutely true. you said the rev hang is fixed and that is great news, as im starting to get used to driving stick again and as such i notice the problems a lot more than when i first got the car.
like night and day with a tune. I did my 2018 base after 100 miles. I couldn't take the rev hang. smooth as glass now.

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Omg it?s night and day with their tune.
I mean at first I tried the Cobb tune which did fix the problems but once I flashed the MAP tune that?s when I felt the power balance+boost

·
Registered
370 Posts
like night and day with a tune. I did my 2018 base after 100 miles. I couldn't take the rev hang. smooth as glass now.

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk
i hadnt drove stick in 2 years when i got this car, so i was shifting slowly enough that i didnt notice it lol. it wasnt till 600 miles that i really started to think i sucked at driving stick for awhile, but then i remembered people talking about rev hang and realized that at least i wasn't the whole problem hah.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is the power loss between 4k-5.5k fixed as well..? It's horrible and annoys the crap out of me. Glad to hear the rev hang is fixed also.. I am wanting to do stage 1 with my 18 but like the previous posts i'm worried about warranty. Although if you don't drive like crazy and get a reliable tune what are the chances of something actually happening?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is the power loss between 4k-5.5k fixed as well..? It's horrible and annoys the crap out of me. Glad to hear the rev hang is fixed also.. I am wanting to do stage 1 with my 18 but like the previous posts i'm worried about warranty. Although if you don't drive like crazy and get a reliable tune what are the chances of something actually happening?
I?ve been driving like hell even before break in period with the tune and 2k miles later I?m still fine. But it?s a good tune. Even tho it?s a beta

·
Super Moderator
11,723 Posts
And that?s why you move on to forged pistons(;
They are not without flaws. Then your ptw clearance is larger and you introduce more blow by and an increase in oil consumption and higher chance for bearing failure.

There isn't a one and done solution for a bad tune. How do you know your tune is good?

·
Registered
90 Posts
my car is a 2017 wrx and in terms of daily driving it, its pretty fun. im waiting for my warranty to expire and if you didnt already void yours I'd suggest you wait it out just because of how temperamental the FA20 motors are. just my personal opinion though so do as you please.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts