Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's a 12" JL w3v3. The cubic ft is a little over 1ft so I stuffed the box with batting to simulate more space. I've had it running 300watts RMS with no issues to sound or integrity of the box for almost 2 years. I used 5-7 layers of fiberglass. It was my first one and it wasn't all that difficult if you take your time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
ahrapattoni said:
It's a 12" JL w3v3. The cubic ft is a little over 1ft so I stuffed the box with batting to simulate more space. I've had it running 300watts RMS with no issues to sound or integrity of the box for almost 2 years. I used 5-7 layers of fiberglass. It was my first one and it wasn't all that difficult if you take your time.

300W RMS is perfect for the JL W3. The enclosure looks great, too. Only "change" I would make, if you use the trunk often, would be to install their grille to protect the sub from damage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
300W RMS is perfect for the JL W3. The enclosure looks great, too. Only "change" I would make, if you use the trunk often, would be to install their grille to protect the sub from damage.
Thanks man. Yeah I did purchase the grill for the speaker later down the road. Just didn't take a pic of it.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The JL stealthboxes are awesome. I had one in my Firebird with a JL 10W6 and custom fabricated another one because they only made one for the drivers side. sounded amazing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The simple answer is yes. The upgrade speakers that Subaru sells, are Kicker branded and actually sound pretty good and not super expensive. They have the Kicker door speakers and dash tweeters and sound good together. Even without an amp and sub, it will still sound better. I always tend to add amp and sub to hear real bass.

so just for some better sound, I'm not in a rock band, just want it to sound good when I turn up Van Hagar. I'll need new speakers, and amp, and a sub?

done?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The simple answer is yes. The upgrade speakers that Subaru sells, are Kicker branded and actually sound pretty good and not super expensive. They have the Kicker door speakers and dash tweeters and sound good together. Even without an amp and sub, it will still sound better. I always tend to add amp and sub to hear real bass.
Replacing the stock HU with an aftermarket one is the better investment imo. You don't want to buy good after market speakers just to have them under powered by the stock HU. On the flip side if you buy an after market HU it will squeeze out max power from your stock speakers, essentially making them sound better. But personally I'd say just replace the whole sound system if you want to do it right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
old thread I know, but did the speakers and the sub make a big difference without changing the HU?
I don't want to mess around with a new HU, just want my music to sound like music :)
I couldn't have been more disappointed with the stock speakers and HU in my 2016 WRX. First I upgraded all the speakers and added a 4 channel amp under the passengers seat. The stock HU only pushes about 20 RMS per channel, so the upgraded alpine speakers I installed still didn't sound very good. Then I added the 4 channel amp, pushing 50w RMS of clean power to each channel. While this made a significant difference in sound and available volume, it still didn't have the bass I wanted.
I ended up installing an additional 2 channel amp that I used bridged pushing, 750w RMS, to a 12" Polk Marine Grade sub in the trunk. This thing hits HARD! I couldn't be more pleased with the sound now. I am still using the stock HU which would be my next upgrade, but doubt it will be necessary at this point.

If I had to do it again I would have just purchased a single 5 channel amp and powered the speakers and sub. However, I got the sub and 1000w amp for around $100 so I couldn't pass up the deal.

Upgrade your system, Love your ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts