Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been out of the Subaru game for a few years now, I sold my 2010 WRX 4 years ago. I am now looking at the new 2018 WRX premium. I found a thread on here where everyone was listing their engine failures and while there were a lot of modded motors on the list, there were also quite a few stock motors. My question is how reliable is the new 2.0 motor? I had my 2010 stage 2 for its entire life and never had an issue but it worries me how many issues I see others are having with this new motor in stock form. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
I’ve seen less people with blown up fa20f engines than ej engines. You should be fine if you take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve seen less people with blown up fa20f engines than ej engines. You should be fine if you take care of it.

Yea I know they both have their issues, I just never had any issues with my ej so I may be being a little biased here haha. It's hard to gauge things because people never post how long their motor lasted, they only post when something bad happens to it. I plan on keeping it stock through the warranty period just incase but at the same time its nice to know I have a car I can do some spirited driving with and not have to worry about reliability.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Odds of you having a problem are slim to be honest. There is the off chance of a dead piston or bent rod but it’s not really common.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I currently have a stock 17cwp with just a catback exhaust done to it. So far ive never had any issues with it.
a friend of mine has a stage 2 16wrb and its holding up pretty good. Have fun with your new car :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I was in the same place a bit over a year ago. I have put about 30K miles on my 2017 and really enjoy it. You will appreciate the upgrade in amenities and comfort in the driving experience--more forgiving suspension, smoother shifts, etc.

I think any fears of your brand new car blowing up are overblown. If you frequent a few car forums (or any enthusiast forum for that matter), you will always hear horror stories. But most of the time these represent just a tiny fraction of all consumers.

Modern cars, and Subaru is no exception, are very reliable, at least until they get quite a few miles under the hood. There is no objective evidence that this configuration is excessively prone to failure.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
We have two FA motors in our garage...'16 WRX and '15 XT. The XT has over 51k miles on it. It's stock, but I can tell you this...the wife is a lead foot and it has some abusive city drives. It's been rock solid.
FWIW, I have stage 2+ plans happening this year on the WRX. I also had a lightly modded '08 EJ. No issues with that either...except for some minor fuel-related problems. (solved with new injectors)
Go for it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
17 WRX, muffler delete. I have close to 20,000 miles and no problem.
I also have 7 year bumper to bumper extended warranted so as long as i don't have any serious mods I am good.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yeah I went for the extended warranty as well.

I think buying used without warranty the reliability of any car becomes much more of an issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the positive input everyone!! I actually stopped at the dealership on the way home today and pulled the trigger. They didn't have the one i wanted in stock so they have to find one. May have it by Saturday or later, depending. Will be posting pics for you guys when it comes in!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts