Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey what’s up guys! New to this forum and hope to be pretty active in the community! Already got a lot of love from the fellow wrx/sti owners in the area “subie wave” lol alright well back to my issue.

Wrx base 2018:6mt - 100% stock

Well About a week ago I was leaving work heading out of the parking lot ( big lot and I was kinda driving around the empty part just for fun for 15 mins, wasting time; everything was working in proper order!) I get to the stop sIgn to head onto the road and press in the clutch to brake, and right away my revs jump up to around 3 grand! I was also in neutral and they were still around 3k. I went to press my gas to see if it’d affect it at all and no response. I floored the gas in neutral and not a thing- let off the gas and my idle bobbed down to 1500 then right back to 3k.. It startled me to say the least and I went to put it in first and had absolutely no power to the gas, it was sputtering badly to the point where I was not even on the gas in first and never dropped revs.. Keep in mind my car is practically brand new with about 1500 miles on her. I Broke her in by the books as well still abiding by the “break in rules” till about 2k miles.

After getting on the road and realizing I wasn’t going anywhere fast, I pulled over and gave Subaru a call. I towed her in (last Friday) and today I got a update from a service advisor saying my exhaust wasn’t working properly / restricted exhaust? and was causing the issue therefore restricting power? Does this sound right to you guys? Beyond the fact that they said they’re going to fix it and get new parts, is this normal for something to arise? If anybody has any insight on what have may caused this or if this sounds like a proper diagnosis of the problem it’d be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Someone pull the old potato in your tail pipe trick?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone pull the old potato in your tail pipe trick?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
lol I don’t think so, I never thought of that tho. And seeing how it was fine driving through the lot 1st-2nd I’d have to say no?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sounds odd, if something was stuck in the tailpipe it would run just fine as its not true dual. sounds more like bad gas, bad injectors. I have never heard someone say the exhaust wasnt working properly... maybe a clogged cat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds odd, if something was stuck in the tailpipe it would run just fine as its not true dual. sounds more like bad gas, bad injectors. I have never heard someone say the exhaust wasnt working properly... maybe a clogged cat.
I just listened to the message again Subaru left me, he said you have a “restricted exhaust” and that it is not “breathing” therefore causing restricted power?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just listened to the message again Subaru left me, he said you have a “restricted exhaust” and that it is not “breathing” therefore causing restricted power?
if you babied it for 2k miles I wouldnt be surprised if the cat got clogged up. where do you get your gas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you babied it for 2k miles I wouldnt be surprised if the cat got clogged up. where do you get your gas?
Kwik trip / or Mobil. Hmm. I’m curious as to why that may of clogged the cat?

·
Registered
95 Posts
additives in gas that aren't burning off and build carbon in the cat, if it never gets hot enough that grimy crap can build up. with all the new EPA crap on new cars you gotta run em hard at least every 500mi. new diesels make you do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
additives in gas that aren't burning off and build carbon in the cat, if it never gets hot enough that grimy crap can build up. with all the new EPA crap on new cars you gotta run em hard at least every 500mi. new diesels make you do it.
Honestly that never crossed my mind. I never knew that... something to defiantly keep in mind! What’s with these break in guidlines then? Would you consider not going past 4-5k “babied” cause that about sums up how I have been driving for the 1500 miles I put on her.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Honestly that never crossed my mind. I never knew that... something to defiantly keep in mind! What’s with these break in guidlines then? Would you consider not going past 4-5k “babied” cause that about sums up how I have been driving for the 1500 miles I put on her.
Well I'm stumped. I thought you were going by the "Not over 4k rpm" sounds more like a defective part.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Rather than you babying it or bad gas Id say a more logical reason is a defective cat converter. I dont think 1500 miles is enough to cause a failure per se but who knows. Maybe the substrate may have come loose or collapsed or something and plugged things up.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Please ask to see the failed part or get a detailed description. I'm interested to see the results and actual failure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I don't remember reading anything in the owner's manual in any car that says you have to go balls to the wall every 500 miles. Mine seems to run just fine and I rarely got WOT. My wife's Cross Trek has seen redline maybe once in its 30k mile history and it runs like a champ.

My guess is that your catalytic converter was defective. I've never owned a new car that didn't need to go back to the dealership for at least one issue. My 2009 Civic Si had the least significant issues of any new car I've ever purchased, which was a defective driver side window track.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I doubted if break-in has anything to do with the problem. Just think, there are millions that break their cars in according to the manual and many who do not get anywhere near the recommended max of 4000 rpm, and their cars continue to run fine. Service advisor probably just left a message that would be simple by stating restrictive exhaust. It could be catalytic converter or a number of other things. The easiest way to get your answer OP is to go into the dealership and ask exactly which part failed and or what is being ordered to repair your vehicle. They may be able to provide you some insight as to why the part failed. I am willing to bet they will not say that following the break in procedures caused it to fail......just think of the repercussions from that :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Things can be defective from the start with no explained reason why except it failed. My oil pump on my brand new Sti gave out at 5000 miles on my car and had to have the whole engine replaced. Happens sometimes but yeah never heard of an exhaust failed, either its leaking or its plugged(or the cat crapped out). Break in "can" have a lot to do with it depending how it was driven and trust me dealers look for every reason to blame the driver. Like when I brought my car in the guys in service said "well I mean did you rally it" I gave them a look and said its got 5000 miles and I was in cruise control coming back from a 300 mile trip. Its under warranty and they are fixing your car so thats all that matters in the end. Bottom line: parts fail

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well got off the phone with them again today and they did say that my catalytic converter was indeed plugged. So should I assume defective part? Could cold temps have caused the failure ?

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
I doubt it. Most vehicles maintain low egt as they just put around town. It was most likely a manufacturing defect

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I doubt it. Most vehicles maintain low egt as they just put around town. It was most likely a manufacturing defect

Just got another call from them, replaced the cat, and now telling me that the fuel pump is defective , causing gas to get into my oil? Would this problem cause the cat to clogg? He also Said there was no damage to the car, but should I be worried? What should me next step be?? Should I request a replacement of the entire car? Should I wait to see if they’re able to fix it?? Now I’m getting worried.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Running super rich could. However a stuck open injector would be more likely the cause I would think.

On the tdi and other diesels when people say they are making oil the cause is usually incomplete combustion and fuel passing the rings. If you have too much fuel that could be the same case on a gas engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm..

Alright so I just relistened to the message and he said that they did indeed find gas in the oil, and due to a faulty fuel pump, and which was causing it to leak in the crankcase!

My question is how bad is it for gas to be mixed with the oil and running through the crankcase? I suppose I’m just worried as this is a brand new car and I don’t want to run into future issues from gas/oil mix running through my engine? What harm may it have caused that they may not be telling me about, if any.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts