Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Resolved:18 WRX driver window switch not operating passenger window after door panel

So all week i have been working at installing some sound deadening to the doors
I did the rears with no issues
Then moved to passenger door, upon completion i noticed i could not control the window from drivers seat, i figured it needed some sort of reset and didn't let it bother me, i moved on and completed the drivers side door installation last night (my doors combined plus under rear seat now have 30lbs of sound deadening combined)
Then after that the auto down feature would not work, as per the manual i found that if you d/c the battery you need to recalibrate the windows which was pretty easy but still i have no ability to control passenger window from drivers switch

Keynotes:
*Removed door panels
*Yes all harnesses are plugged back in
*Harness pins looked all seated, no loose wires that i could see
*Window recalibrate per manual was completed on both drivers and passenger side, auto down now works

*Passenger window not controllable by drivers switch
*Passenger window works on its own from its switch

*Window lock was cycled and seems to be working as it should, it dims out all windows when activated and leaves rear windows and passenger locked and then when unlocked the lights come back on and rears are controllable but passenger side still doesnt work

Can anyone point me in the direction i need to go in? and thank you

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Have you "reprogrammed" it? This may not work in your situation, but just worked in getting my passenger side window to go up and down from the driver's seat (it would always do that from the passenger seat).

Take and push the window down button and hold it five seconds. Then pull it up until the window closes and hold it for five second. If the problem is with all three of your non-driver windows, you would need to do this at each door.

Hope this works.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you "reprogrammed" it? This may not work in your situation, but just worked in getting my passenger side window to go up and down from the driver's seat (it would always do that from the passenger seat).

Take and push the window down button and hold it five seconds. Then pull it up until the window closes and hold it for five second. If the problem is with all three of your non-driver windows, you would need to do this at each door.

Hope this works.
No i did not try the 5second way, only the factory way of rolling it half way down then go up and hold for 1sec then down and hold for 1sec, that procedure got me the auto up/down to work but not able to control passenger window from drivers seat

I tried the 5sec way and i can actually hear a "click" around the 5sec mark but i am still unable to operate the passenger window from driver seat

Thank you for suggestion

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had this issue after installing some wiring h had the battery disconnected. The manual isn't super clear. To program the passenger window you do the routine on the passenger switch on the passenger door & same on the drivers door to get drivers side auto feature to work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had this issue after installing some wiring h had the battery disconnected. The manual isn't super clear. To program the passenger window you do the routine on the passenger switch on the passenger door & same on the drivers door to get drivers side auto feature to work.
Yes both auto down and auto ups work after factory calibration as stated, its just i cannot control the passenger window from the drivers switch

·
Registered
353 Posts
What I was getting at was did you do the routine from the drivers side passenger switch or the passenger side passenger switch? To get mine to work I had do do the passenger side on the passenger side. Sorry if I am misunderstanding, just want to help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I was getting at was did you do the routine from the drivers side passenger switch or the passenger side passenger switch? To get mine to work I had do do the passenger side on the passenger side. Sorry if I am misunderstanding, just want to help.
The drivers side has zero function to the passenger window so i am unable to do the passenger side from the drivers switch.

The passenger side has been re-calibrated with the passenger switch both with factory calibration from manual and the 5sec way suggested above

This is from my first post:
*Window recalibrate per manual was completed on both drivers and passenger side, auto down now works
*Passenger window not controllable by drivers switch
*Passenger window works on its own from its switch

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's up Matt. I just took my 2018 wrx into Audio Express today to install an alarm and subwoofer/amp. They took from 1pm to 5:30 and they failed to install the alarm as they didn't know what they were doing with the new WRX. As we leave as the shop is also closed and I leave to find myself with the same exact issue with the windows as you have stated in your thread. Have you found a way around it? Or should I go into the dealership and have them fix the problem? I also came to find that my interior lights were no longer being activated when my doors were opened.. pretty crappy situation. My car has less than 200 miles on it and I'm already dealing with BS??
Im still stuck, i cannot find a wire diagram without paying for it. I wanted to get the pinouts of the harness so i see if there is even a signal going to the passenger window from the drivers window. I have taken everything apart a few times especially on passenger side to if i pinched something or looking for a loose wire.

Still hoping someone would show up here with some help or had the issue had to them.

My next steps
Buy new modules both passenger and drivers (driver side 175)
Try playing with window relay (if it does exist)
Tracing out the wires and see if there is a signal

Keep me updated Drew, check the dome switch it might be off not allowing them to turn on while open

·
Registered
3 Posts
Damn. Bummer.. I'll keep you updated! And yeah I checked fuses and reset settings on my dash, unplugged the battery and did the calibration test stuff for the windows too that I read on the posts above. No luck of course. And for the lights as well. I need it fixed asap...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I know you said you already did so, I would bet money that your windows still need re-indexing as the symptoms you describe combined with the fact you pulled the battery terminals off suggest that is the case. I believe it goes like this:

Put the car in park if cvt, parking brake on if stick
go to the passenger seat
run the window all the way up/down a few times
Keep monkeying around with the window switch on the pass side till you get it. You may have to put the passenger window all the way down then bring it up from the driver switch I believe depending on model
should then work from driver's side controls.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know you said you already did so, I would bet money that your windows still need re-indexing as the symptoms you describe combined with the fact you pulled the battery terminals off suggest that is the case. I believe it goes like this:

go to the passenger seat
Keep monkeying around with the window switch on the pass side till you get it. You may have to put the passenger window all the way down then bring it up from the driver switch I believe depending on model
I tried this before in frustration that it didnt work... Just went out and tried it again, i noticed when i try the Driver side switch to control the passenger side window i can hear a little "buzz/twitch" sound, almost like a small arc/short sound

As for me as soon as passenger door panel was taken off and harness pulled, that is when i lost control to operate window from drivers side
Disconnecting battery and fuses came later as result in troubleshooting

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I tried this before in frustration that it didnt work... Just went out and tried it again, i noticed when i try the Driver side switch to control the passenger side window i can hear a little "buzz/twitch" sound, almost like a small arc/short sound

As for me as soon as passenger door panel was taken off and harness pulled, that is when i lost control to operate window from drivers side
Disconnecting battery and fuses came later as result in troubleshooting
Stupid question but is your car under warranty? Bring it in if so and let them diagnose it. If you have a brand new 18 model they may have changed the procedure for re indexing the windows, I'm not sure. The process I described in my previous post works on 2017s as I have done it for customers.

Also, did you install any LED interior bulbs in your car? I know it is unlikely to be the cause but they have been known to cause electrical gremlins. Do you own a multimeter?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stupid question but is your car under warranty? Bring it in if so and let them diagnose it. If you have a brand new 18 model they may have changed the procedure for re indexing the windows, I'm not sure. The process I described in my previous post works on 2017s as I have done it for customers.

Also, did you install any LED interior bulbs in your car? I know it is unlikely to be the cause but they have been known to cause electrical gremlins. Do you own a multimeter?
Yeah its under warranty its a 2018 and havent even had the oil changed
No LED interior bulbs
Yes i own a multimeter, by trade i use it daily

·
Registered
3 Posts

go to the passenger seat
This worked for me!! Had to roll it up From the driver side. Although my lights still do not turn on or off inside while the doors are opened. I set the the switch for the dome light to door and the map lights are not coming on besides manually turning them on as well. Checked fuses, and setting on the dash. Read the entire manual. Gotta take my car to finish getting its alarm installed and then I'll take it to the dealership to have them make sure everything is good.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I looked in my schematics. if all is as you explain above, you have a connector issue -- either a connector or a pin within a connector is not correct. And if it happened immediately after you did the passenger door, it is in (or by the passengers right foot) the passenger door and NOT in the driver door. 3 wires going into the passenger window switch: green/black is power from window relay; red is hot when driver door control (the one that doesn't work currently) up is pushed; red/yellow is hot when driver door control down is pushed.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yeah its under warranty its a 2018 and havent even had the oil changed
No LED interior bulbs
Yes i own a multimeter, by trade i use it daily
Bring it to the dealer and let them figure it out then! Its free and you can sit on your couch and drink beer while they work.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
This worked for me!! Had to roll it up From the driver side. Although my lights still do not turn on or off inside while the doors are opened. I set the the switch for the dome light to door and the map lights are not coming on besides manually turning them on as well. Checked fuses, and setting on the dash. Read the entire manual. Gotta take my car to finish getting its alarm installed and then I'll take it to the dealership to have them make sure everything is good.
Cool glad it worked for you. Do you have an 18?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cool glad it worked for you. Do you have an 18?

Yeah thanks for the help! But yes, I have a white pearl base model. First Subaru. Went from diesels/jeeps to cars. I sold my wrangler for this car.. kinda sad but I love the WRXs. I was gonna buy a used one but figured it was better to buy a new one. I got it for a hell of a deal.. if I would and went cash I woulda walked out of there paying less..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I looked in my schematics. if all is as you explain above, you have a connector issue -- either a connector or a pin within a connector is not correct. And if it happened immediately after you did the passenger door, it is in (or by the passengers right foot) the passenger door and NOT in the driver door. 3 wires going into the passenger window switch: green/black is power from window relay; red is hot when driver door control (the one that doesn't work currently) up is pushed; red/yellow is hot when driver door control down is pushed.

good info, thank you
i pulled off panel by the passenger foot and found a mess of harnesses in there
going to check before work in morning to see what i can find

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So the 3 pin harness at passenger foot i have
Red/Blue
White/Green 12v
Green/Black 12v
No change happens when window switch on drivers door is positioned up or down

Harness at Passenger switch
Green 12v
Green/Blue
Green/Red 4v
Red/Blue 12v
\------------Top Row---------/
Black
White/Green
Green/Black 12v
Red/Black
Blue
There was also No change happens when window switch on drivers door is positioned up or down

Right now i have the passenger door panel off but the switch assembly removed so i can lay it in passenger seat and do one man testing.

I also pulled the harness out of the window motor itself, didnt check if drivers side was sending anything but when i plugged back in the passenger window rolled down nicely but then had to inch by inch my way all the way to the top to close it, then did recalibration and played around for fun to see if that fix for Drew would help me

1 - 20 of 25 Posts