Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, great forum you got here, been lurking for a bit.

So I just got my wrx on Saturday, and I'm having a heck of a time with 1st and 2nd gear... Like really bad. I've had my 03 civic si for a decade and never went through this type of trouble, granted driving a stick shift in the regular position is a little different for me as the si had a rally shifter on the dash setup.

I think I may have developed some really bad habits like slipping the clutch to get started etc. I have watched a lot of videos just basic how to drive a manual car, to see if maybe I could find out some things I may have been doing wrong.

This rev hang is absolutely ridiculous, it has me so riled up, I'm about to just say screw it and void my warranty and just buy a cobb and flash it. Why Subaru did this is just beyond stupid. 4 seconds to drop down to be able to shift smooth?! Man I'm heated. There is no way around this from what I've read and seen, is there?

I have a video of me driving, I'm just wondering if I may be doing something wrong. There is no wiggle room with the clutch and gas pedal, I barely blip it and it wants to fly up in rpm's, and if you let out the clutch to fast it kicks like a damn mule, and bucks HARD. I have to be doing something wrong, and I'm getting really frustrated. I Hope this makes sense... thanks guys, any info would be greatly appreciated. I don't hear too many people complain about this rev hang... but Lord in heaven it's driving me up a WALL.

I made the video really quickly on my way home from work, and wasn't really thinking about what I was saying at times, sorry.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
Practice. I'm pretty sure just about every manual transmission vehicle in America has rev hang as it has to do with emissions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just bought a new 2017 (1k miles) and i feel the same way. I think the first gear problem is the Hill Assist. If you completely stop you will see that you wont roll back much and that's why i think hill assist is on and then requires more gas to launch the car( IMO i'm not sure). For the second gear i agree is bad i feel like i cant shift fast from first to 2nd but that's me ( I might be over thinking and being too cautious since its a new car). I have my CDL and i had a 2006 Sentra ser spec v and i didn't have as much as an issue in this car.

·
Registered
347 Posts
This is a well known problem with the 15 + wrxs. I have just learned to live with it until I get rid of it which may be a long time given the trade in #s I've seen. I hear the Cobb helps alot.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Don't look at your tach when shifting.
If my tach hangs like that, I do not even notice.

As for the lurching/bucking, as XJ said - practice.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
This is a well known problem with the 15 + wrxs. I have just learned to live with it until I get rid of it which may be a long time given the trade in #s I've seen. I hear the Cobb helps alot.
Your gonna be real sad when you learn it's an emission feature every manual transmission vehicle has to have to combat nox emissions.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
Sshhhhh....New model owners are talking.
Every time you post something you demonstrate how out of touch you are with reality and the going on in the automotive industry.

Rev hang exists because of emissions. It's not just your generation of WRX. It was out in place so that when the throttle plate slams shut nox emissions don't spike. Ive also read it also helps with crank case pressure. This has been going on for years now and isn't just something they dreamed up. They have been using this tactic on drive by wire vehicles for easily a decade at this point. Honda, BMW, Subaru, Ford, GM, Toyota, Mercedes, nothing is immune from it.

I'm sure you think your driving experience is so unique and that nobody else has been behind the wheel of anything but their specific Subaru but you would be completely wrong.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
OP, On my way home yesterday I took note of what my 15 does.
1) "riding" the clutch some is normal; in fact it is not "riding" it at all; it is just "letting up easy" vs. "dropping."
2) my RPM stays where I left it when I let off throttle and push clutch in also - but this is normal; just shift into the next gear; you don't need to let RPMs drop in order to shift somewhat smoothly into the next gear.

practice, chill, practice..........the car is not perfect.......but it is OK, and yours is typical.
regards,

·
Registered
347 Posts
Every time you post something you demonstrate how out of touch you are with reality and the going on in the automotive industry.

Rev hang exists because of emissions. It's not just your generation of WRX. It was out in place so that when the throttle plate slams shut nox emissions don't spike. Ive also read it also helps with crank case pressure. This has been going on for years now and isn't just something they dreamed up. They have been using this tactic on drive by wire vehicles for easily a decade at this point. Honda, BMW, Subaru, Ford, GM, Toyota, Mercedes, nothing is immune from it.

I'm sure you think your driving experience is so unique and that nobody else has been behind the wheel of anything but their specific Subaru but you would be completely wrong.

I'm not in the automotive industry but I know a dozen people with new - ish cars and none have that problem. I've also read a dozens threads on here about how treacherous 1st to 2nd is on 15+wrx and I can attest. You cannot because a. You have an old beat up wrx. And b. You never leave the house.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1) "riding" the clutch some is normal; in fact it is not "riding" it at all; it is just "letting up easy" vs. "dropping."
2) my RPM stays where I left it when I let off throttle and push clutch in also - but this is normal; just shift into the next gear; you don't need to let RPMs drop in order to shift somewhat smoothly into the next gear.

practice, chill, practice..........the car is not perfect.......but it is OK, and yours is typical.
regards,
Exactly. Both points.

You get used to a clutch in a car, and when you buy a new car, you have to completely re-learn another clutch. Some clutches have a grab point somewhere in the middle of the arch. This clutch uses the entire range of motion, and that's something that most people aren't used to. It can feel like you're "riding" the clutch 'til you get used to it, but it's normal. You've just gotta make yourself use the entire clutch range, if you want smooth shifting in the lower gears. Feather the throttle and ease all the way out. Every now and then I find myself getting lazy and accidentally dumping the clutch at about 3/4 of the way out.... She promptly reminds me that I've just f**ked up.

Like someone else up there said.... don't watch the tach. Just listen and feel your way through it.

·
Banned
289 Posts
if it was purely an emissions feature on all cars, the STI would do this too...and it doesn't.

Thus, something the way subaru programmed the WRX's caused this. Its a well documented headache all over on 15+ models and its something you just have to get used to.

Cobb Tune I've heard fixes it.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
if it was purely an emissions feature on all cars, the STI would do this too...and it doesn't.

Thus, something the way subaru programmed the WRX's caused this. Its a well documented headache all over on 15+ models and its something you just have to get used to.

Cobb Tune I've heard fixes it.
No.

The STI is a completely different car with a different motor, different ECU, and different ECU strategy.

You have a tendency to speak in absolutes when you don't know the details.

In all probability, the Rev hang is an emissions or fuel economy feature.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
I'm not in the automotive industry but I know a dozen people with new - ish cars and none have that problem. I've also read a dozens threads on here about how treacherous 1st to 2nd is on 15+wrx and I can attest. You cannot because a. You have an old beat up wrx. And b. You never leave the house.
I am in the industry and work with OEMs and other tier 1 suppliers.Your opinion means nothing against facts.

The facts are rev hang is a emissions control strategy. You can go just about anywhere dealing with modern performance vehicles and read about it. In fact if you like I can go link you to discussions on a dozen or more forums of different vehicles.

·
Banned
289 Posts
No.

The STI is a completely different car with a different motor, different ECU, and different ECU strategy.

You have a tendency to speak in absolutes when you don't know the details.

In all probability, the Rev hang is an emissions or fuel economy feature.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Pretty sure I was countering an absolute by proving it wrong because it doesn't hold up against the STI.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

regards,

^ This is what I was looking for. Thanks everyone for your input. Learned a lot reading this. Let me explain why I was hesitant about this.

I was browsing either this forum or the other big wrx forum, and I came across a thread that was something like "how do you drive" or the like. The op went on to ask how other people drove their cars, and pretty much said this exact sentence but longer. When I read the replies though the Mods and other members with many thousands of posts were destroying this guy, saying he's slipping the clutch etc. I was stunned, thinking to myself, well hell maybe I was doing it wrong the entire time. After I made this video I said screw it and drove like I drove my civic. It's been night and day. The rev hang is still there but I did what and earlier poster mentioned and I stopped looking at my tach lol. It has helped, but it still doesn't mean it's not there. I just have to hold in the clutch patiently in 2nd gear until I can hear her come down.

At 750 miles now, and I've been a good boy and have not went past 5k, yes it says don't go past 4k but I did a few times oh well. Can't wait to really get on her in 1st and unwind it and see what she's got. I've seen and am guessing this rev hang crap doesn't happen at WOT (please Jesus no). Love the turbo sound, my first turbo car, and taking turns just even getting onto the highway and your at 80 like it's nothing.

I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts