Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone wants to talk about this car? Any personal experiences either driving this cool German toy or racing against one? Thoughts?

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
If it doesn't have three pedals, I'm generally not interested. I don't care if DSG is "faster", there is something about rowing through gears that gives me enjoyment. My truck isn't a race car, I don't do extreme off-roading, but I custom-ordered the vehicle to have three pedals because I just prefer to drive that way.

That said, I've never really been all that interested in anything VW/Audi. I considered an older 2.8L V6 A4 as a "starter" vehicle years ago, but it never really amounted to anything more than a single chat with my mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
The VW dcg is the best for daily driving and is much less harsh than any competitors I've driven.

I however stand by my opinion of the sketchy quality of Volkswagen and crew.

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 - Not being sarcastic but can you explain more about VW/Audi being sketchy?

2 - I do agree that driving stick is amazing and I have only driven stick since I began driving. I have heard so many cool and amazing things about DSG though that I am just curious.

3 - Who do you think has better AWD for handling, especially at higher speeds?

·
Æternum
15,855 Posts
The Golf R is the best car in its segment.

I would definitely find a manual.

·
Æternum
15,855 Posts
I don't understand this. At high speed, AWD is helping nothing.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts

2 - I do agree that driving stick is amazing and I have only driven stick since I began driving. I have heard so many cool and amazing things about DSG though that I am just curious.

Their build quality and reliability are extremely hit or miss anymore. Back in the day they would go forever with little to no maintenance, now it's never ending and extremely expensive. You are paying merc and BMW repair prices for old Kia reliability.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
Germz to Japz said:
The one conversation with my mechanic went as follows...
Me: "I'm thinking about buying an Audi A4 2.8"
Him: "If you buy that car, you're not allowed to bring it here for repairs."

That was enough to discourage me.

Germz to Japz said:
If you're not dealing with snow/ice, why bother with an AWD vehicle? If I lived in FL, I would exclusively have RWD vehicles.

I used to hydroplane enough when I had Falken Azenis RT-615s on the Subaru in the rain that I would never buy them again. AWD didn't help.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The new automatic transmissions are offering faster and smoother shifting than the DSGs. While I haven't been able to enjoy any of the performance shifting of my 10A, I have been on the track with a couple and they flat rip going up and down. The Porsche PDK was the benchmark that GM used for their development.

If it is pure performance, in the same price range, the Camaro SS offers far more performance for about the same dollars. The Tremec 6060 is a very nice transmission. The dynamic rev matching on up and downshifts is pretty cool. So is the "No Lift Shifting" when you are charging down the front straight or the drag strip. Granted, AWD can have some advantages in foul weather. That's what they make AWD trucks for.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If you're not dealing with snow/ice, why bother with an AWD vehicle?
^This x100.

You're paying 10k or more for an AWD car that you will probably rarely use. Why not look at the GTI? It's front wheel drive, but they're supposedly a blast to drive. Unless you're tracking this car you don't need AWD. If you're driving on public roads and need the AWD you need to slow the F*** down. As far as street racing goes, you'll either grow out of it and realize the risks, or you're just an idiot. I think the latter. Death or injury to yourself isn't the worst thing that can happen in street racing. Think about prison when the other racer dies or you smoke out some innocent pedestrian. I've seen it happen and not just once. Hopefully that's not the type of racing you're referring to.

Either way, I'll seriously consider a GTI in the next few years when I get rid of my 15 STI. If you're looking at VW and you're looking at DSG, it seems like the smarter way to go. You can tune them easily, but as with the WRX, don't expect VW to cover your engine or transmission issues.

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - I honestly thought that AWD was better for handling at higher speeds when pushing the car hard.

2 - I am not street racing, rest assured, but I do track the car or go on a closed road when possible.

3 - I have been driving stick since I was a kid and our family, until very recently, has only owned stick. I only ask about DSG because I want to experience the fun of a powerful launch off the line with zero effort AND have a vehicle I can share with others without worrying about it.

4 - Going to be honest, with my new job, rolling up with a WRX running a catback exhaust screams too much of boy racer. Even though I am still a kid at heart I want something that is (I dare say) lower profile and calmer. VW comes to mind.

5 - I legit had no idea VW had such bad reliability. That honestly breaks my heart.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Lower profile and less boy racer and you decide golf r.

Put a quiet exhaust on your current car and be on your way.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
Germz to Japz said:
1 - I honestly thought that AWD was better for handling at higher speeds when pushing the car hard.
AWD vehicles generally understeer at the limit.

Germz to Japz said:
4 - Going to be honest, with my new job, rolling up with a WRX running a catback exhaust screams too much of boy racer. Even though I am still a kid at heart I want something that is (I dare say) lower profile and calmer. VW comes to mind.
If you're not driving clients around where they have to deal with a loud vehicle and bumpy ride, who cares what you drive? It's not like you're driving a car that dies in the parking lot entrance and you need to push it into a parking space.

Germz to Japz said:
5 - I legit had no idea VW had such bad reliability. That honestly breaks my heart.
My anecdote with my mechanic was from the early 2000s. It's not a recent thing...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It seems like you don't keep cars for very long. Get rid of it before the warranty is out and you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It seems like you don't keep cars for very long. Get rid of it before the warranty is out and you have nothing to worry about.
Except horrible resale that is associated with unreliable cars

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
i had a golfR demo for a month and a half. It had like 3k miles on it and already had electronic issues (bluetooth disconnected randomly, and the power folding mirror was wonky). Although I will say it was fun to drive, felt solid compared with the Focus RS I had after that, and went like stink.

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1- I personally find the hatchback look of the Golf R lower profile than my 3rd generation sedan. It is also not as loud and has far more tech. I pull in and everyone legit asks me what kinda car is it or if it's from that "fast and furious movie" lol. Being completely serious. I work with "a-dults" lol.

2 - Define very long? I had my e36 for a little over four years and put on over 100,000 miles on it. Sold it when it had a tad over 200,000 miles on the odometer. I've had my WRX for less than four years and have put on over 40,000 miles on it. I've had issues with the WRX a few times now. My family had our Toyota Camry and Volvo 850 each for over ten years as daily drivers.

3 - I'm not planning to sell my car until the warranty runs out. Even then I might hold onto it for a little while. I'm more curious than anything.

4 - Understeer is scary.

5 - I don't know anyone who has owned an Audi but they are nice cars. I've driven a few nice ones but they are far too "high end" for my taste.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
4 - Understeer is scary.
If youre getting either of these cars to lose control on public roads you are doing something insane. They both have crazy high limits for public roadways. Also I dont think understeer is any scarier than oversteer at that point. Id certainly rather understeer in a wrx vs oversteer in my MR2. I guess it depends on the road in front of you but bad either way on the street...

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,725 Posts
My anecdote with my mechanic was from the early 2000s. It's not a recent thing...
They're rubbish. VAGs are horrific cars and only Porsche might be worse.

My mechanic told me he will only work on VAGs if the it's somehow a car owned by a very long-time client (but there are very few, 1 or 2 at most, because his long-term clients won't buy junk).

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,725 Posts
4 - Understeer is scary.
Understeer is safe. By stating it is scary -- and assuming it's not a typo -- I wonder if we're talking about the same thing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts