Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bring my new My18 STi to Wakefeild Park last week, the whole car feels well balanced and the stock brake is heaps better than my Fiesta st with ds2500 and Slotted Dba. The tyres are expected to be little let down as it's overheating very quickly. One thing I noticed compare to my15 sti is the front suspension is actually softer and sitting higher in the my18, but the car still feel sharp and nimble on the track.
Finish the day doing 1.11.1. and the average laptimes are very consistence around 1.11.6. Aiming for a mid 1.10. with the same setup next time around.

youtube link: https://youtu.be/9zQup2tSB6E

·
Banned
289 Posts
Awesome!!
To clarify your post, are you saying the stock tires are getting too hot and thus getting a but greasy/losing traction?
Or the car was overheating ?

Any other track prep (coolant, brake fluid, brake pads?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome!!
To clarify your post, are you saying the stock tires are getting too hot and thus getting a but greasy/losing traction?
Or the car was overheating ?

Any other track prep (coolant, brake fluid, brake pads?)

Hey mate, I was talking about the stock tyres getting too hot and loose some traction. The car is running good during the whole day.
The whole car is completely stock, only change the oil before I go to the track

·
Banned
289 Posts
That's awesome. If anybody posts up here negatively about stock car on the track ignore them. This board has several elitist members who seeking to scare people away from the track

Good on you for taking your car and having some fun

Reactions: unseen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's awesome. If anybody posts up here negatively about stock car on the track ignore them. This board has several elitist members who seeking to scare people away from the track

Good on you for taking your car and having some fun
I actually think it's very good to track the stock car. Since you will have less issues with the stock power, and when you decide to modify the car, you know what you want to improve.

·
Banned
289 Posts
can I ask you what program you're using to have that track display? is that done through your phone?

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's awesome. If anybody posts up here negatively about stock car on the track ignore them. This board has several elitist members who seeking to scare people away from the track ...
I was at Road America a number of years ago and on Saturday afternoon a T-bird came in on on a flatbed. SCCA Showroom Stocker. Story was that the driver had picked the car up new from the dealer on Thursday, bolted in the roll bar on Friday, and went out for a practice session on Saturday morning. Sometime after the carousel and before the kink, a wheel broke. The car was said to have been like a ball in a pinball game, bouncing between Armco barriers on the left and the right. I don't think there was a single panel or piece of glass, including the roof, that was not damaged. That was on a day when the corners were fully staffed with emergency workers, a doc was on hand in the infirmary, and at least one ambulance was on standby. Fortunately the guy was not injured and there was no fire.

So, is telling a story like that "elitist?"

·
Banned
289 Posts
I was at Road America a number of years ago and on Saturday afternoon a T-bird came in on on a flatbed. SCCA Showroom Stocker. Story was that the driver had picked the car up new from the dealer on Thursday, bolted in the roll bar on Friday, and went out for a practice session on Saturday morning. Sometime after the carousel and before the kink, a wheel broke. The car was said to have been like a ball in a pinball game, bouncing between Armco barriers on the left and the right. I don't think there was a single panel or piece of glass, including the roof, that was not damaged. That was on a day when the corners were fully staffed with emergency workers, a doc was on hand in the infirmary, and at least one ambulance was on standby. Fortunately the guy was not injured and there was no fire.

So, is telling a story like that "elitist?"
Nope not at all. And to clarify, that's still not a reason to not take a stock car. Note I didn't say car off the showroom floor.
My stance is stock mildly prepped good to go. Minor preparation certainly in my mind means check your torque specs.

Those I was referring to have a firm belief that you must spend money before you go to the track. Mods, upgrades, blah blah.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Bring my new My18 STi to Wakefeild Park last week, the whole car feels well balanced and the stock brake is heaps better than my Fiesta st with ds2500 and Slotted Dba. The tyres are expected to be little let down as it's overheating very quickly. One thing I noticed compare to my15 sti is the front suspension is actually softer and sitting higher in the my18, but the car still feel sharp and nimble on the track.
Finish the day doing 1.11.1. and the average laptimes are very consistence around 1.11.6. Aiming for a mid 1.10. with the same setup next time around.

youtube link: https://youtu.be/9zQup2tSB6E
I would guess some better tires would possibly get you close to your goal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would guess some better tires would possibly get you close to your goal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
i think with the same setup I can probably reach to mid 1.10 which is pretty good for stock car on this track. The car can do a lot more with better tyres and coilover, it's a very good platform to start with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice video! Is your 4th gear synchro crunching?

I've been considering taking my 17 STI to a track but am a bit reluctant.
I think one of my friend has the same issue when shift from 3rd to 4th.

You don't have to go fast to enjoy the track. It's all about having fun on the beginning, and you will improve after couple times.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nope not at all. And to clarify, that's still not a reason to not take a stock car. Note I didn't say car off the showroom floor.
My stance is stock mildly prepped good to go. Minor preparation certainly in my mind means check your torque specs.

Those I was referring to have a firm belief that you must spend money before you go to the track. Mods, upgrades, blah blah.
I totally agree with you.

Personally, I would not mistreat a street car by putting it on a race track on a regular basis. I have run street cars on race tracks three times that I can member and all have resulted in funny stories. I also question the safety of this. Untrained drivers, poor or nonexistent track emergency staffing, poor or nonexistent driver protection in the car ... etc.

Re mods, speed is basically boring. If a mod makes the car go faster, so what? You are really competing only against yourself (as the OP implies) so going faster by spending money doesn't change anything. What is fun is balancing the car on a knife edge to get around the track as fast as possible. There is a turn on one of my favorite tracks where I can snooze all the way at 165mph in a Formula Super Vee but I am at extreme pucker factor trying to herd a stock mustang through with an exit speed barely above 100mph. Both cars are equally challenging in the twisty stuff, but the FSV is like dancing with a ballerina and the Mustang is like dancing with an elderly elephant. My point here is that, mods or no mods, the knife edge will feel the same and will provide the same thrills.

The only mods I would consider important are safety mods like a 5- or 6-point x 3" harness, properly braced roll bar, and a Snell SA-rated helmet.

·
Banned
289 Posts
I totally agree with you.

Personally, I would not mistreat a street car by putting it on a race track on a regular basis. I have run street cars on race tracks three times that I can member and all have resulted in funny stories. I also question the safety of this. Untrained drivers, poor or nonexistent track emergency staffing, poor or nonexistent driver protection in the car ... etc.

Re mods, speed is basically boring. If a mod makes the car go faster, so what? You are really competing only against yourself (as the OP implies) so going faster by spending money doesn't change anything. What is fun is balancing the car on a knife edge to get around the track as fast as possible. There is a turn on one of my favorite tracks where I can snooze all the way at 165mph in a Formula Super Vee but I am at extreme pucker factor trying to herd a stock mustang through with an exit speed barely above 100mph. Both cars are equally challenging in the twisty stuff, but the FSV is like dancing with a ballerina and the Mustang is like dancing with an elderly elephant. My point here is that, mods or no mods, the knife edge will feel the same and will provide the same thrills.

The only mods I would consider important are safety mods like a 5- or 6-point x 3" harness, properly braced roll bar, and a Snell SA-rated helmet.
love the ballerina vs elderly elephant.

you and I would get along

1 - 20 of 20 Posts