Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! I recently purchased a 2018 WRX and have a Cobb Accessport already with stage 1. I want to go E85. Do all I need is the Dweutswerks 300c and Cobb Flex Fuel Kit and do my own protune via email or take to a shop for a pro tune after those parts are installede

Am i Missing anything?

Thanks, I appreciate the time!

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Hey Guys! I recently purchased a 2018 WRX and have a Cobb Accessport already with stage 1. I want to go E85. Do all I need is the Dweutswerks 300c and Cobb Flex Fuel Kit and do my own protune via email or take to a shop for a pro tune after those parts are installede

Am i Missing anything?

If you are doing the flex fuel kit I would ask Cobb what they recommend. Also, unless something has changed the high pressure fuel pump doesn’t support anything over e50 or something and will quickly meet its demise on e85.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what pump should I use? I can call Cobb in the morning and see what they suggest, I just thought there maybe other routes for E85.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
So what pump should I use? I can call Cobb in the morning and see what they suggest, I just thought there maybe other routes for E85.
There is no replacement for the high pressure pump. Only the lift pump in the tank

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
So how do people run E85, on stock pumps?
They don’t care about burning the pump down. There was some additive someone sold but last I heard it disappeared from the market.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Am i Missing anything?

If your going e85, you need to do it the right way. That includes bolt ons to make it worth while. To just go e85 on a stock engine is pointless. Yes you will make a little bit more power but not much.

Recommended mods:

downpipe
intake system
new tmic
cat back exhaust
cobb flex fuel sensor
aem high flow pump
fuel rails
1000cc injectors or higher.
boost controller
cobb e85 kit

E85 is hard on the new wrxs. cylinder 3 is right below the turbo and takes a lot of heat from it and wears out faster than the others and sometimes cause engine damage.

Be wary, especially on a new wrx.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Withoutt790. I am going to stick with a FMIC. I see the recommended mods, I want to go Flex-Fuel. I don't need a loud exhaust or heat soaked intercooler to run E85.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks Withoutt790. I am going to stick with a FMIC. I see the recommended mods, I want to go Flex-Fuel. I don't need a loud exhaust or heat soaked intercooler to run E85.
Its not about how loud it is for an exhaust or fmic vs tmic. the exhaust is needed to let the engine breathe and not cause damage later down the road, the intercooler is to make the charge cold and take advantage of the increase power of e85. There is no other reason to have e85, you will get worse gas milage than regular gas, you will have issues if you live in a cold or winter state. Why do you want to go flex fuel?

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
If your going e85, you need to do it the right way. That includes bolt ons to make it worth while. To just go e85 on a stock engine is pointless. Yes you will make a little bit more power but not much.

Recommended mods:

downpipe
intake system
new tmic
cat back exhaust
cobb flex fuel sensor
aem high flow pump
fuel rails
1000cc injectors or higher.
boost controller
cobb e85 kit

E85 is hard on the new wrxs. cylinder 3 is right below the turbo and takes a lot of heat from it and wears out faster than the others and sometimes cause engine damage.

Be wary, especially on a new wrx.
How do you plan on finding 1000cc injectors for an fa20?

You don’t need anything else for e85 but the flex fuel kit, tune, possibly a different lift pump and money to replace the high pressure fuel pump when it craps the bed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wasn't planning on running 1000cc injectors that is just what someone said. All i need is the Flex Fuel Kit and a tune? What HPFP do you recommend over stock? SUBIE DINNER, I have also heard the same thing about running a tank of premium every so often for lubrication.

THanks GUYS

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, from what I read on other forums and Facebook groups is all you need is flex kit and a better fuel pump to keep up with the high pressure fuel pump since it'll be working harder pumping e85 and of course a tune. All those other mods listed are just part of the regular trope of power mods. Interestingly enough there are tuners who claim you can run e50 on stock parts, maperformance has one and so do other tuners like bren and Clarke.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Well, the issue is the fuel lubricates the hpfp. E85 doesn’t have enough of it. It doesn’t gum up, if seizes and can damage your cam shaft.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
I replaced the fuel pump with the DW and I have the Cobb flex fuel kit. You will need a pro tune, and more frequent oil changes
Did they mention anything about fuel additives or maximum ethanol content?

·
Registered
370 Posts
map recently released an e30 tune that has me curious, i know the hpfp can handle some ethanol as a lot of gas has some ethanol in it these days but is there any data at all on exactly where that limit is? my manual sais not to exceed 10% ethanol but the manual probably also sais not to plug an ap into the ecu ither... on the other hand ethanol is all the rage these days, and having your car be capable of running on renewable fuel is quite a selling point, so wouldn't they tell me if it could?

ive read all the same things you all have, e85 is almost certainly death for the fa20, frequent oil changes or not. does oil even circulate to that pump? i feel like oil changes would have no effect on the longevity of the hpfp...

·
Registered
370 Posts
2500 Mile Oil Changes Because You're Running E-85? P-shaw | Tundra Headquarters Blog

please read instead of trying to find that oil line running to your fuel tank lol..
ah right, some of the fuel gets into the oil thats why people say you should change it often, not because the pump needs cleaner oil. and so you dont think im completely insane i wasnt talking about the main fuel pump in the gas tank, i meant the hpfp witch is in the engine bay im pretty sure...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts