Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a new generation 'Stang do some fun pulls with me really early this morning before Church lol. Pulled into the same lot. His was automatic. Was telling me how he had been driving stick for almost ten years and this is the first automatic in a pony car he loves. Said he had a 2008 mustang gt, a 2012 mustang gt, and now a 2018 mustang gt. I guess I've been under a rock. Have you heard their stock exhaust? Sounds like my friend's GT350 I swear.

Gorgeous looks and incredible sound. First mustang (outside of a Cobra or Shelby) I would ever consider. Automatic doe?

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
It has the new 10spd auto found in the Raptor.

No doubt it's faster than its manual counterpart, but if it's anything like the ZF 8-speed, it probably finds itself between the gears more often than I'd like.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Tough call. I hear it's a great transmission--the AT on the Camaro I just drove was certainly sweet. And let's not fool ourselves, modern AT's will generally beat MT from a stop.

I saw a brand spanking new Mustang 5.0 yesterday, and I sure like the styling. (Though I think the previous generation has more of the vintage Mach 1 mojo.) I personally think it is the best looking coupe out there. Just not real practical for me.

Anyway, much as I love MT, they are going the way of the dinosaurs. Enjoy em while we have em.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
Was he cute?

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you're street racing and you want a dash cam?
I am my own worst enemy. Rest assured it was all safe. Closed parking lot over half a mile long with nobody near by.

Was he cute?
Extremely. :p

Tough call. I hear it's a great transmission--the AT on the Camaro I just drove was certainly sweet. And let's not fool ourselves, modern AT's will generally beat MT from a stop.

I saw a brand spanking new Mustang 5.0 yesterday, and I sure like the styling. (Though I think the previous generation has more of the vintage Mach 1 mojo.) I personally think it is the best looking coupe out there. Just not real practical for me.

Anyway, much as I love MT, they are going the way of the dinosaurs. Enjoy em while we have em.
Yea more and more vehicles are losing stick it seems. :(

It has the new 10spd auto found in the Raptor.

No doubt it's faster than its manual counterpart, but if it's anything like the ZF 8-speed, it probably finds itself between the gears more often than I'd like.
That's actually pretty good though. Looks like Mustangs are coming a long way.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
Germz to Japz said:
I am my own worst enemy. Rest assured it was all safe. Closed parking lot over half a mile long with nobody near by.
What business does enough revenue to justify and can afford to have a half-mile stretch of tarmac parking lot with zero patrons? Honest question, because I'd like to get into that business.

We use a very large state-managed parking lot for our SCCA Auto-X course on weekends, and even that doesn't have close to a half-mile stretch of tarmac for "pulls" (they don't have to pay taxes on the property)...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I find it pretty hard to believe that you saw this dude on the road and had some non verbal agreement to pull into a half mile parking lot which you just happened to be passing by and was completely empty.

On second thought... get the dash cam.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ford and General Motors co- developed that A10 that is in the Mustang. I can't speak to the Ford application, but I can speak to the first deployment that GM used. GM targeted the PDK transmission in the Porsche 911 Turbo as their benchmark. The A10 shifts amazingly fast, either up or down, once you engage the Performance Shifting algorithm. The down shifts rev match, too. While I have limited time with the automatic, it has not disappointed, to date.

I will be able to give a better review after the 5/19 HPDE NASA day at NOLA Motorsports Park. I am kinda excited to see what speeds I'll be able to achieve down the front straight (146PMH is my previous best observed speed to date) and what speed I'll be able carry into Turn 1. I hope to have my new seatbelt pads installed this week.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
What business does enough revenue to justify and can afford to have a half-mile stretch of tarmac parking lot with zero patrons? Honest question, because I'd like to get into that business.
Российская самолетостроительная корпорация

The strip attached to the Lukhovitsky Machine Building Plant where they work on the MiG-35.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This newest Mustang's front end design was a compromise. Supposedly to meet European standards for pedestrian collisions. You can see it in the headlight design I guess. I'm on the fence with the design changes. They DO sound great though...agreed.
Both the 2018 Mustang and the 2019 Camaro seemed to have controversial refreshes. Ford did bump the horsepower of the Coyote engine to remain competitive with its rival's LT1. Torque is still a bit peaky with the Coyote (and the Voodoo, too) engine, for my tastes.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - I'm an honest guy so I do wish to record myself at all times so therefore I would LOVE a dash cam! ;)

2 - Okay it wasn't half a mile. You caught me, or I'm just dumb. Plot twist: it's both. We did some 0-60 pulls in a closed parking lot. I know the guy. We know the place. We safe. #drivesafely

3 - I think the car looks stunning. I still think I would go for stick though. I know automatic is faster but I personally feel that "american muscle" or "american pony cars" should be stick.

4 - The new mustangs all look more "Euro" anyway so I guess it makes sense that things were changed for that market.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The latest Ford does look more Euro, and the Camaro is more streamlined as well. (The Challenger remains a big hunk o' sheet metal though.)

As said, I think the Mustang is one of the best looking coupes out there, on a par with the BMW M4 and Jaguar Type F. It retains a bit of aggressiveness to show you where it came from.

Apparently the Mustang is the top-selling "sports car" in Europe since they started selling there not too long ago, so I guess a good move on Ford's part.

https://www.motor1.com/news/146420/ford-mustang-europe-best-selling-sports-car/

·
Registered
442 Posts
The latest Ford does look more Euro, and the Camaro is more streamlined as well. (The Challenger remains a big hunk o' sheet metal though.)

As said, I think the Mustang is one of the best looking coupes out there, on a par with the BMW M4 and Jaguar Type F. It retains a bit of aggressiveness to show you where it came from.

Apparently the Mustang is the top-selling "sports car" in Europe since they started selling there not too long ago, so I guess a good move on Ford's part.

https://www.motor1.com/news/146420/ford-mustang-europe-best-selling-sports-car/
Jeff,

The Mustang and the F-Type share another characteristic. The Crowd-Killer Mustang has a tendency to get loose (over-steer) and either snap spin or fishtail out of control. The F-Type is extremely tail happy. The Supercharged one that I drove a couple of years back, under direction to drive it like I stole it, required a much higher level of skill and attention than I was comfortable with. During my last HPDE event, another F-Type with just the 380HP 6 Pot (same engine as in our XF) spun twice, once right in front of me, at NOLA Motorsports Park.

Both cars demand a stern level of attention when being flogged.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts