Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my WRX in 04/17 and was really upset to find out afterwards that it did not have OEM roof rack mounts....

Well I heard a rumor that some late model 16/17’s had the OEM mounts underneath the plastic rain gutter molding.

Yesterday I popped up the molding and found that my 17 WRX DID in fact have the factory mounts.

I was stoked!! It’s build date was 03/17.

I called the dealership and ordered the 2018 WRX rain gutter moldings that has the flaps to access the OEM mounts.

As soon as those are in and installed I will be buying a set of 2018 WRX roof racks to install.

FYI for all in case you too were wondering this. I will update with pictures when I have them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my WRX in 04/17 and was really upset to find out afterwards that it did not have OEM roof rack mounts....

Well I heard a rumor that some late model 16/17’s had the OEM mounts underneath the plastic rain gutter molding.

Yesterday I popped up the molding and found that my 17 WRX DID in fact have the factory mounts.

I was stoked!! It’s build date was 03/17.

I called the dealership and ordered the 2018 WRX rain gutter moldings that has the flaps to access the OEM mounts.

As soon as those are in and installed I will be buying a set of 2018 WRX roof racks to install.

FYI for all in case you too were wondering this. I will update with pictures when I have them.
Could you please share the steps involved in popping the molding strips to check to see if you have the OEM mounts? Is it easy to do without damaging the molding? Also, how much are the 2018 moldings with the cut outs and caps? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s really easy.... just use a small flathead screw driver and pop up the front of the molding, you should be able to see them from there. The 2018 moldings were $86 a piece, so about $180 total for both sides.

Pictures posted that show the mounts have a generic M6x1.0 bolt threaded into them just to show the holes have threads.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
What rack did you end up buying? I have an '18 with the OEM Thule rack I just got and have been having really bad whistling sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts