Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just recently purchased a 2017 WRX and kinda had to learn the hard way off sliding back down my hill and nicking my rims on my brand new car, boy was I furious. Didn't think the tires were that bad until I did the proper research, well anyways. I am looking for suggestions as to which brand I should go with, also as to if I should get dedicated rims or not/ and can I just mount and balance them as the seasons change. I also live in Philadelphia, where its a hit or miss with bad winters, but it always gets extremely cold.

Thanks,
Tyler

·
Super Moderator
11,760 Posts
I prefer dedicated cheapo wheels. That way when one gets boned you don't feel so bad.

I am using general altamax arctic. Really like them, do well in icy conditions even unstudded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
561 Posts
I went with General Arctics (based on past experience with Generals and reviews here which were pretty favorable) on Enkeis . . . a little more expensive than buying cheap steel wheels, but here in Maine I end up running the winter set up for almost half of the year and preferred the look over the steelies.

I also opted to buy a separate set up since a) I don't have to worry about a tech possibly damaging things when he/she does the bi-annual swap over, b) I can easily make the swap whenever I want to instead of having to take out time and set up an appointment and c) I don't have to pay anything every time I make the swap.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,919 Posts
I'd always recommend a dedicated set of wheels to go with winter tires.
I've also used the aforementioned General Altimax Artic tires. I do agree, they're great in cold temps and snow with some decent ice traction.
However, if you want something that also has above average dry grip and don't feel like mush, you can go for performance winters instead of standard 'snow' tires. I'm running Falken Eurowinter HS449 right now. They do leave a bit to be desired with initial turn-in, but starting/stopping is great and the dry grip is very impressive. They also do well in rain and don't hydroplane at all. They can be a little lumpy the first mile or two of driving when really cold, but they always smooth out. They're not overly loud either. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up my 17' WRX Limited and I scheduled delivery of the car his past Friday and it was the worst day to be driving this car - cold, like 10° and snow and ice on the roads. I live in Colorado, just a few miles north of Boulder. I had to take the car home, I drove 1 mile down the road and realized I was not in a good spot, I pulled off in a parking lot and left the car until the morning. Was not stoked, but would rather not wreck my new car with like 5 miles on that odometer. Picked up in the am and went to tire shop and got Blizzaks, picked up the car an hour later and wholly s%*^... amazing. I went with 235/40/18's, stepped down in size from the oem tires on the car. The compound on the stock tires is not good in cold temps, useless. Will either swap them onto the current wheel or get a second set this summer.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,919 Posts
I just picked up my 17' WRX Limited and I scheduled delivery of the car his past Friday and it was the worst day to be driving this car - cold, like 10° and snow and ice on the roads. I live in Colorado, just a few miles north of Boulder. I had to take the car home, I drove 1 mile down the road and realized I was not in a good spot, I pulled off in a parking lot and left the car until the morning. Was not stoked, but would rather not wreck my new car with like 5 miles on that odometer. Picked up in the am and went to tire shop and got Blizzaks, picked up the car an hour later and wholly s%*^... amazing. I went with 235/40/18's, stepped down in size from the oem tires on the car. The compound on the stock tires is not good in cold temps, useless. Will either swap them onto the current wheel or get a second set this summer.
Sorry about your luck, but thanks for being smart about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with all 3 of these guys. I just bought the General Altimax Arctic tires on Monte Titano 17" rims (they don't make a snow tire for the WRX stock 18" rim) and love them. MUCH MUCH better snow traction. The stock summer sport/highway tires on the '17WRX are absolutely terrible in snow. I also like the fact that the 17" rims ride smoother. Also like the bright silver honeycomb look better than the dark alloy 18"'s. The kit was around $1100 at Tire Rack but it will pay off if you use the kit over 4+ years like I plan. Any comments I'd like to hear about them...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello all, just recently purchased a 2017 WRX and kinda had to learn the hard way off sliding back down my hill and nicking my rims on my brand new car, boy was I furious. Didn't think the tires were that bad until I did the proper research, well anyways. I am looking for suggestions as to which brand I should go with, also as to if I should get dedicated rims or not/ and can I just mount and balance them as the seasons change. I also live in Philadelphia, where its a hit or miss with bad winters, but it always gets extremely cold.

Thanks,
Tyler
Man, im in the exact same boat. I work in Wilmington and I too found out how bad the stock tires are in a frustrating manner this weekend.

Anyway, since I have a similar issue ill add my question: Ive been curious/worried about tire and/or rim sizes. I saw somewhere that downgrading to a 17in rim would be better for the snow as long as i also matched the stock tires overall size? I had basically decided to put a set of all weather on my stock rims until i figured out a more long term solution but now I am curious if anyone has some advice on size.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm running Falken Eurowinter 449s in stock 245/40-18 and so far so good. There are plenty of snow tires in the stock size but they are all $$$. The Falkens were the only ones in stock at the time that I wanted to do the swap so I went with those but if you are in real hard-core snow country, I've heard good things about the Nokkian Happalitas (sp?) - which come unstudded but can be studded.

For me, the Washington, DC area doesn't get enough snow to be able to justify that level of expense, hence the Eurowinters.

·
Super Moderator
11,760 Posts
How do you not know summer tires are going to be deadly in the WINTER?

You'll want a winter tire based off of the type of winter you have. If it's icy get something you can stud, if it's dry but cold a performance winter tire, and snow an actual snow tire, studded if there is also ice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
For those who live in really winter climates, especially with bouts of freezing rain, and/or a good amount of black ice, I found the tires that will make our AWD's nearly invincible. I am so impressed with these, and as I always run two sets of tires/wheels, that I am going to put these special tires on my just-ordered wife's daily driver, a 2WD, front-drive Mazda 3 hatch (Subaru you lost that sale because you still have not learned that there are many of us who need a hatch!).

Back to tires, I am getting for her, and they have sizing to fit both 17" and 18" WRX's (and for many hundreds of other cars, pickups and SUV's), the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's, with 200 special, individual cushioned studs (used through the Scanadanavian countries and other similar places). Yes, more expensve than many winter tires, but we had three freezing rain storms this winter and even with four new snow tires on our front drive Cruze, twice we were not being able to get up our steep roads.

Want her to be safe in her soon-arriving Mazda 3, and when about next December we start to get lousy winter weather, I will switch to the Nokian H8's on their dedicated winter wheels. Below is the Nokian product guide with so many options, with and without studs. See page 16 if interested in the Hakkapeliitta 8's.

https://dc602r66yb2n9.cloudfront.net/file/dl/i/TKjrow/X1MnA5XyA4byjT3lgZviLw/NT_US_Product_guide.pdf

·
Registered
70 Posts
For new WRX's, keep in mind you'll get the TPS light on your dash when you swap wheels and tires. Memory only holds for four, not eight like prior years. If that light bothers you, get your TPMS cloned.

I was an idiot and used the summer tires in the snow. I then bought All Seasons. And bought dedicated winter tires. The winter tires are MUCH better under 40 degrees F than the All Seasons. I have "ultra high performance" all seasons, which are better for dry and warm conditions (similar to summer tires, but not as sticky). They're BFG Comp 2 AS. The winter tires I have are Hankook iPikes. Even if there's no snow but cold temperatures, they stick MUCH better than my all seasons, which aren't bad by any means but I feel more firmly planted with the winter. Only issue was taking the winters off because forecasts were higher than 40, but then the following week, it was back to freezing again... meh.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did talk with one of the techs and they said that they've seen 17" wheels clear the Brembo calipers but I was hoping someone here had hands on confirmation. I'm in no big rush as my car will be parked for this nice storm we're looking at in NH tomorrow but i'll have to make something happen by next year for sure!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Remember the New Hampshire Nor'easters too well, shoveling 100" of snow year after year. Best of luck to you! Good idea to ride it out, especially with heavy winds forecast for you.

Now live in the Pacific Northwest, where as my wife says, at least you don't have to shovel rain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm ready for warm weather all the time! I'm really tired of snow. We've been fortunate this year with only 2 good size storms about a month ago. This one coming tomorrow should be good size! argh!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts